1 (edited by Zurf 2007-09-06 03:46:40)

Topic: Woo-hooo!

My new Yamaha folk guitar arrived today.  It is SO much easier to strum and do barre chords (which still stink but stink a lot less) than my classical. 

It came with a gratis gig bag, which is cool.  And it also came set up and ready to play.  I didn't have to string it.  I didn't have to change the action.  All I had to do was tune it and start playing.  Sweet. 

Tonight, life is good.  I've been playing it for the last two hours, except for a break I had to take to put my 2 year old back to sleep after waking her by playing too loudly.  Oops.  Strumming out a version of "Louisiana Saturday Night."  And yeah, I know, Mel McDaniel did it as a quiet flatpicking song rather than a strumming song played loud enough to wake sleeping children.  Well, apologies to Mr. McDaniel and my 2 YO, but I like to strum it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Woo-hooo!

congratulations on your new baby!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

3 (edited by alvee33 2007-09-06 09:40:21)

Welcome to the Yamaha family.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/documents/1554/1554-thumbnail.jpg

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Al V -

This is my third Yamaha if I can include my fretless bass.  But thanks for the welcome anyway. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Hey Zurf,

My 1st guitar was an old battered nylon stringed classical, beast of a thing. It got me hooked though and I learned a lot on it. I don't know if I could make the switch back easily. My daughter recently had one similar from school and I found it really wierd to play.

When I picked up my Yamaha in the store to try it I too thought Woo Hooo. Brilliant guitar for under 200 samolians(UK). Unless something drastic happens then I hope to have this guitar for a VERY long time.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

EXACTLY!!!  My first Yamaha is the fretless bass.  I've been playing bass for quite a while, but just picked up guitar in the last year.  My guitar has been a hand-me-down Yamaha nylon string classical - sounds just like the one you had!  Decent sound for such a beat up looking guitar.  Easy to finger pick, but hard to practice barre chords and strumming. 

This new guitar is a work bonus (pretty sweet!) for a job well done.  Not even my boss, but a big-shot from another team that I helped out for a few months.  Anyway, I'm real pleased with it.  It's a low-end guitar, but it sounds as good as this basement hack/campfire picker needs.  I've got several friends who've had low-end Yamaha folk guitars for decades and they still sound nice.  Once I find some strings more suited to my taste for sound I'll be ecstatic.  Have had lots of good advice regarding strings from Chordians, so now it's just try a few sets and see what I like. 

- Zurf