Topic: Learning to Play Electric

I mainly play acoustic guitar, but when I'd been playing about two years out of the clear blue this old friend of my dad (apparently he'd helped them out years and years ago and now he's rich and wanted to kind of pay him back so to speak) calls on the phone one day. i din't know him but he said he wanted to talk to me which was kind of akward, but he says he heard I played guitar and was asking me if I like avoustic or electric better, to which I said I couldn't afford an electric so I'd never played one. So christmas rolls around and papa goes to visit him in houston. Comes back and hands me a guitar case and inside is a brand new shiny red Squire Strat, said it was a Christmas present from Marcus Cook.....
Ok sorry this story is so long but I came pretty near worshipping the thing (and still in a smaller way do lol), cleaned it every other day and played it even though I never knew anything about electric. I ended up kind of focusing more on acoustic because I was making more progress there, but recently I've made up my mind to really make a serious attempt to learn to play my electric.

So my question is this: WHERE DO I START?

Well really in some ways I've already started, looking up simple songs here on chordie and playing with little licks and things but Im really still just playing around. I have a pretty good basic knowledge of playing guitar but im still very uneducated.... I've heard people talking about learning scales. I know the G and C scale, but I'm not exactly clear on what exactly I ought to be learning?
Any kind of advice would be deeply appreciated..... thanks in advance,
                                                                                Last Rebel.

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Learning to Play Electric

If you know the G and C scale, you know all the scales.     You just need to practice them in "closed form" down the neck, using your index finger where the nut would normally be.  If you intend to solo, that's what you should practice.  Scales.  And then some more scales.  And then, afterwards, some scales.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hey Jerome,
  First off let me say thanks for commenting... Went and tried out what you said. Im catching on but I still have to move slow. Its funny how out of practice i was with scales at all even starting up by the nut but I shook the cobwebs off pretty quick.
You say that if I know G and C I know all the scales??? What about all the minor, and (whats that other word, starts with a 'p')?
Anyway thanks again, I think I'll start doing some research on playing scales maybe find something on the internet or get Scott (dude I know who owns a music store) to hook me up with a book or something.

All You Need is Love smile

All the scales for that particular mode.  big_smile   If you know one major scale in closed form, you effectively know all of them.   Same with the minors.  If you know one in closed form, you know all of them.   Pentatoncs:  Same.

And don't get hung up on pentatonics.  They are just major and minor scales with two notes removed.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

hey rebel
look at this site - its got all you need
http://www.justinguitar.com/
Su

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

First off LR look for my Beginner's Electric songbook on chordie, they're all songs that need electric but are easy to play.

Second, how are your barre chords? Alot of electric playing derives from barres. Powerchords, licks etc.

Second if you've got scales going on look for a song solo that matches them. Some solos really are just rising scales at various points on the neck. I reckon 'Louie Louie' is a good solo to start with as although it's fast there's no sudden tempo changes and it's all 5th 7th and 8th frets (user first, ring and pinkie fingers right down on the fret).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'