Topic: oiling strings?

I got an e mail a few months ago about the internationally famous oil in a can "WD40"
great stuff, it can lubricate hinges, make polished floors look waxed, water proof things etc and smells nice too,lol

Anyway, one of the things it said was it was good for cleaning and coating guitar strings.

Does anyone agree or disagree that this would be ok and would it make string last longer?
I know it would clean them but would it imrpove the life of the string?

Since it says it on this email I am thinking it might be right since I tried a few other suggestions on it and they seemed to be right.

It also says the main ingredient is fish oil, so , would fish oil help guitar strings/

well educated replies and total guesses are all welcome here.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: oiling strings?

Sounds like it might be good for your strings but I would be leary about geting it on the wood of the neck of my guitar. Question is how would one apply it

what a long strange trip it's been

I have used wd 40 for lots of things it is great for rusted bolts nuts light lubrication and best of all it helps you when you fish put some on your boat, hooks and hands.I dont think I would use it on my strings,as I was told by a pro that oil from your body and elswhere will harm your strings.Hope that helps.        dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

patrick, I think it could get applied by spraying onto a cloth first, then it would not get on the varnish.
But what Dino says, makes me think, if human body oil harm strings then fish oil might too, thats if it really is fish oil. But then maybe oil from humans would harm them if human oil dries out and wd40 doesnt, or not as quick?
I think this would go into biochemistry area here, something I have no idea about.

Well, I think I will not bother using it just in case, unless someone comes on and says it is good, or just when I think it is time for a string change I wil try it. Be a while now as I just changed them last week.

cheers
Ken

I don't think it is something I would take a chance on my guitar. A new set of strings is not going to break the bank. I don't beleive the fact that there is any fish oil in WD-40. I have been told that the name WD-40 comes from the the fact that it took the chemist who invented it 40 tries to get the formula right. Who knows what is in that stuff

what a long strange trip it's been

Hey K.O.S (king of scotch land , double malt no less.)

Don't use WD 40, use lizzard spit (www.lizzardspit.com) or fast fret the lizzard spit is basically a citrus oil that will conditionnyour fret board and clean your strings. In a pinch you can season your fret board with olive oil and cook with the rest of the bottle.

Bootlegger.

pmsl, hanx for that advice bootlegger, will keep that in mind

lol

Ken