1 (edited by mhdmhd 2007-09-15 21:44:50)

Topic: a problem with playing barre chords

when i just play four barre chords after eachother without rest my hand hurts. therefore i have to stop playing about 10 seconds and then start again. and when i play them once again it hurts... maybe it's becuz i don't do it correctly.
whenever i play barre chords  the special part of my hand that hurts is my thumb becuz the main pressure of playing those chords is on it.
can u help me friends?

Re: a problem with playing barre chords

Is it a strength thing?  I saw someone say that what helped her the most with barre chords was using one of those finger and hand exercisers. 

I can only occaissionaly get a decent barre chord, but my left hand is already pretty strong from playing bass so I don't get that pain thing. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf is right!  Becoming good at barre chords requires constant practice and hand strengthening.  I use those hand exerciser from time to time.  I use it mainly between my thumb and index finger.  But, only playing the barre everyday will help overcome the pain and cramp.  After a while, you won't feel them as much. 

Another way to get relief is to play a non-barre chord between progression (if feasible).  Then, return to barre.  This will help remove the pain and cramp briefly, so you can keep playing.

I might be preaching to the converted but, when playing barre chords, do make sure that your thumb is placed in the middle of the neck and not wrapped around it. Wrapping the thumb around the neck does make it ache.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by hangman 2007-09-18 21:39:58)

that used to happen to me when I first started playing.STRENGTHEN YOUR HAND.get a rubber ball,squeeze it during the day when you have the chance,keep it in the car and give it a few tweeks at a red light,and keep it up,along with  practicing.Befor you know it barre cord will be a snapTony V

Hi all.  It could also be a cirulation problem.  If you aren't sitting comfortably and your left hand is raised too high it can cause pain.

My ambition far exceeds my ability

well maybe your strings are really new or something and are too hard for you?? but i agree with Roger Guppy, you have to make sure your thumb isnt wrapped around the neck

We play this song in our worship band that kills me--something like a Cm7, then a G#m or something like that...then I slide the barre up to 6 to get an Eb, then I'm back to a Bbsus that I like to play at the first fret....driving song with absolutely no breaks--I have to sit down, prop my feet up on the stool, and just gut it out.  After a couple run-throughs, then the service, I'm in tears.  I want to shake my hand so bad to get the cramping out, but that's probably bad form.

Worship songs have some crazy hard progressions!  A buddy of mine and I gave it a go with a bunch of charts I have from my bass days.  I never knew the guitar players were working that hard!  I was impressed with them then, and moreso now.  My buddy and I gave up and played some Willie Nelson.  G, C, G, C.  Aaaaaaaaahhhh. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

well im no expert at barre chords, (i can't play em at all today cuz of a blister sad) but i know with anything on the guitar practice makes perfect. I can actually hit the barred F, and sometimes the B, when last year i couldn't even get my fingers around it.

All You Need is Love smile

Playing barre on an acoustic is also more difficult than on an electric one.  Make sure that your acoustic is set up correctly (ie. stings' distance to fretboard, string size, etc.)  If you can master the barre on an acoustic, it will be a breeze on an electric. 

Again, strengthen your hand with a tennis ball or hand exerciser and practice every day!

It could be that the distance from the neck and the strings is too big.

The distance issue is normally related to the set-up of the guitar.  The string size does matter, more to a beginner player.  Most folks uses the .012 strings.  But, if you're a beginner, you can go lower to either a .010 or .011.  This will also help.   Some folks also lower their tuning half a step (1 fret) and use a capo to get standard tuning. 

jaminfesteddonkey wrote:

It could be that the distance from the neck and the strings is too big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnS4uhaXAI

This a good instructional video RE Bar Chords. Hope it helps.
A hand exerciser really helps, even squeezing a ball.
And of course, practice, practice, practice! Perfect practice that is.
Stick with it. Peace,
Joe Fitz

Kahuna wrote:

Playing barre on an acoustic is also more difficult than on an electric one.  Make sure that your acoustic is set up correctly (ie. stings' distance to fretboard, string size, etc.)  If you can master the barre on an acoustic, it will be a breeze on an electric. 

Again, strengthen your hand with a tennis ball or hand exerciser and practice every day!

After years with no real success with barre chords (I just gave up trying) I had the action on my guitar reduced (by an expert - don't do it yourself!).  A wonderful result!

I have the perfect answer to playing barre chords. Use a capo !.

Stop911 wrote:

I have the perfect answer to playing barre chords. Use a capo !.

It might be the perfect answer, but it's the wrong question.

Cappo isn't a barre.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I would draw your attention to Gitaardocphil's post about injuries/pain caused by playing... maybe revisit your hand/arm positioning

I'm the son of rage and love

Or even the way you hold the instrument all together. I recently had to check myself and found I had started to hold it ALL wrong. had to get back into good habits. Made a bg difference in barring as well as everything else.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Or even the way you hold the instrument all together. I recently had to check myself and found I had started to hold it ALL wrong. had to get back into good habits. Made a bg difference in barring as well as everything else.

Me too.  One of our regulars, I think it's 25Frankster, keeps recommending careful thumb placement and posture.  Well I finally heeded his advice and it has made quite the difference.  I had to make adjustments on the songs I already "knew", but now they are coming out much cleaner and chord changes are far easier.  I'm getting a good, clean F#m in rhythm about 1/3 of the time now and a clean F about 1/4 of the time (with poor timing).  This is a huge improvement for me that I attribute directly to 25Frankster's advice.   

- Zurf

Yea!! Breakthrough, Zurf.  I have to tell you, I couldn't play a barre chord for 2-3 years, but once the breakthrough happens, you'll wonder why you couldn't play them all allong. 
Talk about posture, know what I don't get, is rockers who sling their guitar real low, and can still hit bare chords.  I've tried it....trying to look cool in the mirror, and my left wrist is bent severely...I don't know how they do it.

25Frankster wrote:

Yea!! Breakthrough, Zurf.  I have to tell you, I couldn't play a barre chord for 2-3 years, but once the breakthrough happens, you'll wonder why you couldn't play them all allong. 
Talk about posture, know what I don't get, is rockers who sling their guitar real low, and can still hit bare chords.  I've tried it....trying to look cool in the mirror, and my left wrist is bent severely...I don't know how they do it.

Yeah! This is something which has always amazed me. I always thought it was maybe down to then having shovel sized hands.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Practice, practice, practice...small doses. You'll be real glad you did

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

25Frankster wrote:

They're playing Power Chords which are a lot easier than playing full barre chords, they sound better on an electric guitar with plenty of overdrive or distortion.
You don't see many rockers playing full barre chords on a low slung acoustic.

Good point.....and can't you use some alternate tuning so you can play power chords with one finger?