Topic: String "tension" or size

I put a new set of strings on a new guitar.  There were no set-up instructions.  I told the guy at the shop the kind of guitar it is and he said it comes factory set up for medium strings.  So I put on medium strings.  Now the action is pretty high near the soundhole. 

I am going to purchase some light strings and put them on, but will my guitar be harmed by having these medium strings on for a day or so?  I could remove the strings, but then I can't practice. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: String "tension" or size

It will not harm your guitar. Maybe your fingers will hurt a little from fretting it harder. What you should do is find out what strings size sound better to you. Then have your action set up by a pro. Then all you have to do is change strings once in a while with the same gauge strings. You should have it set up at least once a year.

Re: String "tension" or size

If you're a beginner or intermediate player, using the medium size strings may not do you justice!  The size of the medium string starts at .013, where the light starts at .012.  Then, you have the extra light, .011. 

It is good to know what size strings you want to use before having the guitar set up.  Majority of intermediate players use the light string (.012).  And, you can still use the extra light strings after set up if you choose.