Topic: CHORDS

I don't know if this one is difficult or not, but I wanted to see HOW MANY CHORDS YOU CAN PLAY?

I start with the chords I can play pretty good, I have to admit that I play a lot of chords, but a lot of them remain without a name, so here I go:

A     B     C     D     E     F     G
A7   B7   C7    D7   E7   F7    G7  (E7, A7 can be played different)
Am  Bm  Cm   Dm  Em  Fm   Gm

Those are the chords that are used a lot in songs. More difficult chords? Cm  Bm   Fm   Gm

Other chords:
Ab  A#   Bb  B#   Cb   C#    Eb  E#  Db   D#  Fb  F#  Gb  G#.

But here we start to having problems because of (an example) 2 names for 1 chord: Db = C#
Than there are dim chords like Cdim  Ddim (I use this one a lot finger setting x  x  x  o  x  o on the first fret. Edim (like Cdim, but 2nd fret) Fdim (same 3th fret) Adim=Cdim.
I can also play at least 20 more, looking at a chord diagram, chords like Aadd6.
I think I can play, and control about 60-70 chords, and I am able to play about 50 different chords without a problem.
So do you have an idea about the number of chords you can play?
Just curiosity, and if I get answers, from skilled players, in addition to give information and using your skill to help. Purpose: players who just started. DO NOT PANIC by reading this, before you know, and this happens a lot to me, you play chords without problems. It is better to practise 30 minutes  day, than spending hours, because THAT will kill your enthusiasm: overexposure.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: DON'T USE A CHORD TO HANG YOURSELF.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: CHORDS

Hiya Doc,
I can play about 150 very well and about 30 more not so well. But I only have to read things once to memorise them.( I'm too lazy to go back and check stuff again.) Still, I play mostly classical because my strumming absolutely sucks!
Other than that I play alot of scales and do alot of theory, that helps a hell of alot to go further. But I am a theory junkie, I'll admit that.

ive never really counted cause i dont do barrs or tabs so i just play basics.g,c,f,a,d,a7,g7,c7,d7,am,em,Bb,dmin,eb,i can play all the songs i like with these chords which are all on the first three frets,but if a song requires different chords i would learn them then...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

G, G7, D, D7, Dsus4, A, A7, Am, C, C7, Bm (the cheater way), E, Em, E7.  And every once in a great while when the stars are aligned just right and my index finger is unusually firm: F, F#m. 

Enough for most Country songs.

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Nadine2, did you disappear? I missed you and glad to C U back, I mailed you 20 weeks ago, but there was a problem Daemon Failure.
What you write is SO true. There are a few thousand chords, BUT I think that a lot of them are more common playing piano. Never expected to get an answer on this topic, because you have to try to play in front of your PC, or looking for chords, = BRAIN GYMNASTICS, whatever you claim, YOU NEED TO THINK, just take chords you knew but lost.
Daddycool: I didn't count them either, and I swear, it took me hours. But the only way out this CHORD WOOD, "one finger on another place gives a complete different sound. E versus Em, same root, you just remove 1 finger from E : there you go. That's what I like about Zurf how he describes "the essence", but I should add the chords you see on top of my topic, even than there is a difficulty: Cm, Gm, no problem in barré. Since almost every CHORDIAN can play "Hotel California" I add the fact that this is in fact more complicated, because of F# and Bm.
To come back on your answer Nadine, I can play probably a lot more chords without knowing it, but I gave it up to count them. Most used chords are still (I try to rank them in: easy and a lot used chords first. E   C   D   G   A   F(is more difficult) followed by Em  Am  A7  B7  C7  D7.)
Practise more the ones not written here.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: BIGGEST PROBLEM IS MY SPINAL CHORD, it is a CURSE, BUT I LIVE.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi  Sweet Doc,
Yes, I did disapear! I had exams! Can't wait for the end of the year when I'm done. The only reason I know how many chords I play is because I learn them for exams. Now if I take my violin and cello and piano chords into count...well, I can't count that far!! Although my violin and cello are more finger positions.
I think that it really doesn't matter how many chords you can play, it's what you do with them. I remember learning my first chords on guitar, A,E,D. and I was so proud of myself!
The more chords you play does obviously give you a wider option for sounds, but aren't the simplest songs always the greatest?

7 (edited by johncross21 2007-09-21 11:56:19)

I can play major, minor, minor seventh, dominant seventh and power chords

I tend you use distortion and hit the strings hard so 13th chords, diminished chords and such like are pretty indistinguishable

my main aim is to master the D, C and G shape barre chords so i don't have to move so far up and down the neck when playing in positon

if I was to start playing jazz standards or classical I would have to sharpen up my act but that ain't gonna happen soon

daddycool wrote:

ive never really counted cause i dont do barrs or tabs so i just play basics.g,c,f,a,d,a7,g7,c7,d7,am,em,Bb,dmin,eb,i can play all the songs i like with these chords which are all on the first three frets,but if a song requires different chords i would learn them then...

In any given giging situation you have to know all the chords so you can play. Also some times vocalist change keys and you have to transpose, play flats or sharps to accomidate their vocal range so they don' sing off key. It will also make you more verse, with that said I 'don't know if your playing casuals or with anyone. Just a thought to broaden your horizon.

Bootlegger.

Well Boot, that's almost exactly what I expected.
I just put chords I can play. But almost all types of chords I wrote down, I can play. Most of them "flawless", others, like even the F-chord, are more difficult. More, I play maybe twice the number of chords I mentionned, because I use, more in acoustic, chords I didn't know what it was.
Like Aadd6, played in the Fleetwood Mac song: "man of the world", it is = to A, but you take alsop the thin E-string. And probably, I will really count the chords I play without problems.
QUESTION: HOW DO YOU PLAY A SPECIAL CHORD because some chords, even transposed are almost not to play ( I don't have long fingers: ANOTHER REASON WHY HENDRIX could play difficult chords, because he had real long fingers.) Do you know PAGANINI, a man who played and composed on a violin: even today there are pieces written by Paganini, using finger settings in such a way, that can not be played. Here it was due to a rare disease, you can see it probably on the web, and the name of the disease was: SYNDROME OF MARFAN, a lack of a protein. It is a genetic disorder of the connective tissue characterized by disproportionately long limbs, long thin fingers, a relatively tall stature, and a predisposition to cardiovascular abnormalities, specifically those affecting the heart valves and aorta. Just because of the XXXL size fingers and being a musician, I heard or read somewhere that they could almost take an "octave".

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: IT IS NOT EASY TO HAVE LONG FINGERS USED IN A STORE

I can play pretty much whatever is needed to get me through an average song.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

11 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-09-25 08:11:56)

KramL, where are you from?
Did you know that in the prechordian time, I played pretty well at that time, but today I can really tell you, without shame, that I play a lot of chords, that I switch on time, and the switching from A to D to C, in a 1 movement was easy. The problem was that I was afraid to play in front of 2-3 men.
I was shy and always thinking that the songs I played "sucked". Now I don't care anymore to play in front of people.
WHY: the combination of me and chordie. I like to write topics asking  others what they think about something. You will find almost a chordian who will give you an answer.As example: I am lost, in my search to a certain chord: you will get a decent answer.
I am since years surfing on the web, and I never encountered a forum like this.
We, better players advise youngsters, and youngsters are asking and giving their advise. I never saw a site like this. I have TIME, TIME... due to a car crash, and being here was the best thing that happened to me. More motivation, more devotion, more practising, WITHOUT A FEELING, TO BE ALONE. Nobody attacks nobody, if government leaders" should be on this site, well they would see what peace is.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: IT IS ABNORMAL OUTSIDE, SO I STAY INSIDE

Lets see, i can play C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B and in open and E shape barre chord and a shape. I can play all these powere chords with the root on Either the E string A string or D string. For all of these notes I can play the Major, Minor, 7th, Minor 7th, Major7, Sus2, Sus4, 7b5, etc. Thats alot.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

I only play between 20 and 30 chords and usually choose the easiest way in fact sometimes i cheat a bit which i know is not good. I sometimes go on to ezfolk.com because they have really basic shapes. I think if i had started playing when i was young things would have been different but i only started learning in my 40's. No excuse really , i guess i'm just a bit lazy!