E - 3
B - 3
G - 0
D - 0
A - 2
E - 3

Re: does any1 play G like this?

Yeah!
Depends on the song and how it fits in really but, yeah don't be afraid to play variations of chords if it sounds better.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I've seen that variation recommended in a few songs and have given it a try.  I may not have played it right because I didn't notice any particular improvement over the other way when I gave it a go.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

most of the time

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

It's just putting a little bit more emphasis on the D in the chord rather than the B. So you get a slightly brighter sounding G chord. To my ear any way. It won't fit better all the time but it's good to be aware that it is an option.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

i do somtimes

All You Need is Love smile

I do depending on the next chord in the progression. I'll use 320033 when changing to a D ,Em7,Cadd9..etc and use 320003 when changing to a C, Fmaj7..etc I look at every song before I sit down to learn it and use the fingering for the chords that make the progression easiest for me. I ussually try to incorporate guides and pivots into my changes to ease them. Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Sometimes

sometimes, I also play the C chord in a similar way

x   x   x   x   o   x
x   x   x   o   x   x
x   o   o   x   x   x

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

doc, thats a C/G right???

looks like an Fmaj7 to me

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

gitaardocphil wrote:

sometimes, I also play the C chord in a similar way

x   x   x   x   o   x
x   x   x   o   x   x
x   o   o   x   x   x

That's a Fmaj7 I believe. Well it is if your strumming from the A string down...

I believe the C/G is 332010 but I could be mistaken...Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I thought C/G was 302010.  If not, I've been playing it wrong.  And the reason I thought I knew that one was it's how I was playing G7 wrong.  I've got to stop finding chords by playing them wrong.  Maybe I should get a chord calculator...

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

ooh ok...
If you bar F, then F7 is like an E7 barred on the first fret right? or is fmaj7 the same as f7???
Im confused lol, maybe i need to do a little research on all these chords i figgered out

It is definitely not C/G, the configuration is similar but you put 2 fingers on E & A string in 3th fret and 1 finger on D string 2nd fret, and finally B string 1th fret. It is an unusual chord, a lot of people don't know this combination, but it sounds even more  beautiful if you avoid the last 2 strings, B and E, and try now to go down from 3th fret, same finger position on 2nd fret.
SH** I am giving you all those nice tips that I use quit often "creating" songs. NO, you should really try this.
The other chord: what is similar? you just move your fingers on the 3th fret starting from E string 3th fret and A 3th fret to A 3th fret and D 3th fret, the finger who was on the 2nd fret on the D string has to go to the G-string 2nd and the last finger remains on fret 1 B-string.
The chord described in the topic is the F major chord

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: IT IS FUN TO PLAY THESE CHORDS: LOVELY SONGS IN UTERO

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

It's an Fmaj7 - if you don't believe me work it out here:(this tools is super neat)
http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php
then come back and say "we are not worthy o great chord naming guru that cheats by using high tech flash plugins"
roll

C/G

x x x x o x
x x o x x x
o o x x x x

i play my g like this, i put my thumb on low-e third fret while deadening the a string and third finger on high-e. cause im lazy like that

palmerjake, round here they call that a cajun G wink

I use that variation of G all the time. it gives a fuller sound.
I also use the C that Hazenk mentioned. Depending on the song tongue

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

i think doc has just made a simple error.
x  x  x  x  o  x
x  x  o  x  x  x
o  o  x  x  x  x

is a C/G because it is the standard open c chord with a g root (3rd fret E string).
He's just accidentaly said to fret the A and D string on the 3rd fret instead of the E and A.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Reddevil1250 wrote:

does any1 play G like this?

E - 3
B - 3
G - 0
D - 0
A - 2
E - 3

Only way I play it

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

This is what is known around here as a bluegrass G