Topic: I n the early morning rain

Does anyone play this, if so how? Can anyone tell me what time it's in? Saw it being played on youtube by Peter, Paul and Mary in a fast picking pattern.

Re: I n the early morning rain

hi hopeful i just watched peter paul mary ,i think its 4/4 and the chords are finger picked

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi Hopeful,

I think you will find it is not picked as fast as you think. I have the 1966 video on my PC and you can only see Paul's right hand, but with both he and Peter fingerpicking differently the sound just blends together and it is impossible to reproduce one one guitar.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thankyou for your replies,because im trying to learn different patterns, has any one got a suggestion for this one? Not too difficult! Im still playing the last one Roger told me which was good, bass string then 3rd string, then 1 & 2 together then 3rd.A simple pattern that sounds good, well somtimes when im playing he, he

Hopeful,

There is nothing to stop you using that picking pattern to this song.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hopeful,

There is nothing to stop you using that picking pattern to this song.

Roger

Yes, i thought of that, just wondered if you had any other little suggestions, always willing to learn big_smilebig_smile

The song was written by Gordon Lightfoot and if you look at his sight he has the chords to most of his songs, not sure if he discusses picking patterns.

Hi Hopeful,
I play it all the time and I play it the same as Gordon lightfoot which is the best version. It's slightly quick strum ,G, G6, D, A and is nice on a 12 string. I think Gordons version is on youtube, pretty sure I saw it there smile

hopeful wrote:

Does anyone play this, if so how? Can anyone tell me what time it's in? Saw it being played on youtube by Peter, Paul and Mary in a fast picking pattern.

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Yeah, I play Gordon's version, too. I don't quite have the strum pattern down like him, but I sort of fake my way through it. It is a pretty quick strum (for my hand, anyway!) but it is very repetitive, which helps hold it.

Nice song.

Just play

hopeful wrote:

http://www.tabpower.com/s22554.html try this

"Growing old is not for sissies"

You may want to check with Kingston Trio sites, they did a great cover of it and did well on the charts, its been covered by a lot of folksingers, they all do pretty much the same arrangement, one of Gordons best............Keep on...........justasinger54