Topic: guitar and piano... yet another idea to think about ;)

I was bored the other day, and heard the song 'Boston' by Augustana. The piano intro sounded beautiful so i thought, how hard can it be? I plugged in my dads old keyboard and figured out and memorized the piece in minutes. I've never really tried to play piano before and was surprised at how easy it was. My question to you chordians is this: Is piano just naturally an easy intstrument to play? Do you think playing guitar has any effect on how good you are at playing other musical instruments?

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Re: guitar and piano... yet another idea to think about ;)

well can't say about jumping from guitat to piano, but I can say the couple of years of piano I took made the transition to guitar (the thing  I really wanted to play all along) a lot easier, mainly because I had a basic knowledge of musical terms and even a little bit of know how about chords and scales....
Anytime you play any instrument, you learn musical structure and patterns, which even if played a different way are universal. so i would say if you already know how to play guitar, jumping to another instrument would be much easier than if you'd never picked anything up.

All You Need is Love smile

True facts.

Music theory will help you learn any instrument faster than just noodling without it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

i think the piano is pretty easy. im not great at it but playing the guitar helps. its kinda like a guitar laid out in front of you

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

5 (edited by Altex 2007-10-05 07:20:07)

I find that the guitar is much easier than the piano. It depends on what you are playing though. I have taken piano exams up to grade 6 ameb (fairly high) and find that it takes about 4 months to learn the pieces but then you have to go over and smooth it out. It is alot, alot more complex than the guitar. Also have to play two different lines of music at the same time. On the guitar it is just chords or soloing or the melody or tune, but not at the same time, only a few very talented individuals can do this. I'm not one of them lol. The piano I think is the main instrument and sort of like the base or root of every other instrument, I know the guitar came first. The interface on the guitar is alot harder to comprehend to people learning it though. There is only one key for a paticular note unlike on the guitar where it can be played on many different strings and frets. Learning the piano gives you a better understanding of the music itself and the way it is constructed. On the guitar beginners just learn that this chord is G, this one is E minor. they dont learn that in that G chord the notes in it  are G, B and D. They just know that if the press this fret it sounds good.

Learning the guitar after the piano made it much easier to comprehend the layout. I dont know about the other way around but I'm sure the guitar would make it easier to learn the piano. I think if you actually learn the piano properly and get lessons it would help with your guitar playing and understanding as well.

I'll stop ranting now.

Altex

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

6 (edited by rockerchick 2007-10-05 14:49:34)

hey jpage_roxmysox I love the song boston
do you think you could post it or something like that I've been tring to play this song by ear but I some how end up playing something els.I cant beleve that you can play that!

Lets go melt some faces!!!!

I am still regretting that I didn't continue to play piano, being 10 years old. My "BIGGEST" problem is BEING IMPATIENT, and speaking of that, I noticed that it was already there when I was young, everything has to go fast. Visiting a museum, like the "LOUVRE" it takes me 1-2 hours, but if you compare my visit with a person who was there 4 hours, I know more than he does. This is a real problem sometimes, being busy with 3 different things at the same time. I see it more as a curse than a good thing. Same things on holiday: I am able to do more on 10 days than a tourist is doing in 20 days, speaking of the same trip.
But piano? I can play some notes, but I prefer the guitar. I also think that when you look for songs, you can spot songs written on piano versus written on guitar.
An instrument I adore is a "harpsichord" DO THEY STILL MAKE THEM? Not in a hi-tech keyboard.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

the presbytyrian church here has a harpsichord.... friend of mine works down there and brought us in to see it and the pipe organ. I don't know if they still make new ones though cuz this one looked pretty old

All You Need is Love smile

rockerchick, dont know if you want the piano tabs or the guitar chords so ill post both

piano:
http://www.tabnabber.com/viewTab.asp?so … ame=Boston

guitar:
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=379737

good luck and have fun this is such an awesome song

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Thanks jpage that helped.

p.s. ohios for lovers (the hawthorne hights cd name)

haha hawthorne heights rocks! lol i luv the school of rock quote wink

heck yes, what other bands do you like?I like classic rock, punk, alternative,and 60s.

ps I love hippies