Topic: E A D g h e ??????

I am learning smells like teen spirit by Nirvana and it has the tuning as E A D g h e. How do you tune to that?

Re: E A D g h e ??????

Hi deaken316 - I have also seen this odd notation.
I believe that 'h' is used by Scandinavians and Germans to symbolize 'b'.
Why?  I don't know, but I'm sure there are fascinating historical reasons . . .

So, basically you are looking at a standard tuning for your guitar: EADgbe
The upper-case letters denote a lower octave and the upper-case letters indicate a higher octave.

Does anyone know why the 'h' is used to symbolize 'b'?

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Sometimes h is used instead of b to elimate the possibility of one confusing b with the flat symbol.

Give everything but up.

Hi James,
you right with historical reason. In the past I donĀ“t know when, think 1800 or so there was a mistake in translation of the note b.
Someone who had to translate it, read a h for an b and so it is in Germany the note b is for germans  h.

st800

Let

Thanks guys

Pretty sure though the song is in standard tuning with all the strings are tuned down half a step, pretty sure Nirvana does it for all their songs

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

In the film clip he plays it in standard tuning because you can see him playing the F on the first fret.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

THE ANSWER IS: B chord.
I remember me seeing it in Germany, I am even convinced that this is common in Germany and some other countries

GITAARDOCFIL SAIS: BH

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]