Topic: STEVIE AND JIMMY RAY VAUGHAN

We all know who SRV is, but here in Europe, we are less familiar with his older (?) brother Jimmy.
I just know that he teached Stevie some guitar, and isn't he a member of "the fabulous thunderbirds"?
I really wanted to know a few things
- Is he still active?
- Is he a real good guitar player
- Maybe really stupid: did they play often together, and on a scale of 100 (Stevie Ray), how high Jimmy will score compared with his brother

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: I LOVE SRV AND WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT JRV

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: STEVIE AND JIMMY RAY VAUGHAN

Phil,
Judge for yourself. Enjoy!!

http://www.rhapsody.com/thevaughanbrothers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie_Vaughan

Give everything but up.

If I have to judge, it woukd SRV.
Jimmy RV is a very gifted guitar pkayer.
I will look to find more info

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I looked for information, and I know a lot of things.
My special interest was, and this a matter of taste, who was the better guitar player, was the level similar, BUT TECHNICALLY WHO WAS BETTER? They were both well known, SRV with band, and JRV in a band THE FABULOUS THUNDERBIRDS.

Personally I think SRV is better, but I guess its just a matter of opinion. Jimmie does a real good song called 'Heaven done called another blues singer on home'.

All You Need is Love smile

Well, rebel, music is like art and woman.
If we should all have the same music style to love, it is subjective.
About and why woman? It is also about a person, you like that person or not.
It would be a little bit silly that we are loving 1 girl.
Nobody has exactly the same character and desires than another person.
Studies with IDENTICAL twins, teached us a lot, they are identic but 1 is growing up in a very rich family, the other in a poor family. When they meet each other, you will see that they still act more or less, in the same way, but they are different caused by their education.
I asked this question, because here in Europe, SRV was well known, but absolutely not as good as in the USA, and Jimmy almost not, except for blues and rock fans and ANOTHER point, he was part of a group THE FABULOUS THUNDERBIRDS. This is the reason why I asked about the similarity or difference, olaying guitar

haha, well that depends on WHICH rich and poor family raise them.... I think it'd be an interesting expirement to take a couple of identical twins, raise one of 'em where i grew up (Seedtick Texas), and one in New York city, and I think there'll be more than educational differences lol

... anyway to get back on topic,srry i can't really be more help, what I do know is that from hearing Jimmy play, he has a sound thats similar to SRV, but tends to be more classic bluesy and less rockish, using a cleaner sound than Stevie Ray's stuff.
I don't know about the rest of the country, but being from Texas people like SRV and ZZtop, Bob Wills (king of western swing; not well known in other parts), are pretty well known. Texans are real big on state pride so when we turn out a Texas based musician we're usually pretty supportive....
hence the huge number of waylon and willie fans smile

All You Need is Love smile

Phil,

Technically SRV was a better player than JLV, with that said JLV plays more traditional delta blues where as SRV played more Albert King type blues. Both are very good but SRV's music crossed over and was more accepted.

Bootlegger.

Very well put , Bootlegger

what a long strange trip it's been