Topic: Call me a Philistine, but...

G'day.

After reading the comments about Andy McKee I had to take a guernsey and, apart from being dumbstruck by his ability, I was perplexed by what appears to be a sort of half-capo he was using on Rylynn. Has anyone else seen one of those before? More to the point, any idea what it's called?

Ta
Alec

Re: Call me a Philistine, but...

Hello Alec,

Dumbstruck here too by Andy McKee! The capo thingy is called 'partial capoing'. There's another guy out there by the name of Trace Bundy who uses multiple capos and moves them around throughout the songs. He's mind boggleing too. Give him a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw15zgMM … mp;search=

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

G'day SouthPaw41L,

Thanks, mate. Now I wont feel like a complete twit when I go looking.

I checked out Trace Bundy as you suggested. Awesome. Whatever happened to Classical Gas being the aspiration and indeed inspiration? The only time I feel comfortable with people raising the bar is Limbo smile Just kidding.

Take it easy.

Alec

SouthPaw41L, this is where a Non US resident, like me, is loosing it.
Why: I don't know those guys. Never heard of them. If we talk about fingerpicking I just now Leo Kottke (is he still active)?
MORE X-FILE CASES: I was googling: great american fingerpicking guitar players, and I noticed the definition of fingerpicking,(did you know that this style was develloping originated in the late 1800s and early 1900s)? and here is the mystery: they mention something about an American Fingerpicking style, originated with John Fahey, whose first record album Blind Joe Death (1959) inspired many guitarists such as Leo Kottke, who made his debut recording of 6 and 12 String Guitar on Fahey's label called TAKOMA (source: wikipedia).
So I get confused. I believe to know 3 or 4 people: DOYLE DIKES, STEFAN GROSSMAN, LEO KOTTKE, TOMMY EMMANUEL(from Australia?), and some European, like HARRY SACKSIONI, in the Netherlands. But there is an always returning song: "CLASSICAL GAS". I love, adore fingerpicking, but playing 30 years, and able to say, that I became pretty good, using a silly style: 1 strum, blocking the strings, strumming again, using licks, riffs, difficult chords and fast switching between chords and now and then a few seconds fingerpicking. I was ask a couple of times to play in a band, as lead guitarist, but because  my physical condition: NO WAY JOSE.
I am flattered, I love playing, but even if I should play in a band, I can not stand for 5 minutes, sitting in the same position 10-15 minutes. A VERY IMPORTANT FACT: If you play at least with 2, better: in a band, I play twice as good. I don't know about you guys, about playing better with more people. THE FINGERPICKING STYLE: do you think that the very little practical knowledge can still be improved: because of playing YOUR similar since 30 years?
Are there sites where you can improve your guitar skills, or instruction DVD's?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

guitaardocphil,
Attached is label for which Andy Mckee, and many other gifted artists are signed with. Navigate through and I feel confident you, and many others will be greatly impressed with the fine group of musicians working with CandyRat.

http://www.candyrat.com/

Give everything but up.

Thanks a lot. This is again the reason why chordie is such a fantastic site.
You don't know it? You ask.
You know it? You share.
SouthPaw you know a lot, and I read almost all your answers or topics,they are awesome good.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]