Topic: Strum Patterns

Hi all.

I'm new to playing guitar & am using various teaching programmes for the basics.  However, I'm also keen to jump in & have a go strumming a couple of well-known songs which is why I have registered on Chordie.com.

But something is really perplexing me.  Why are the strumming patterns not shown with the chords & lyrics.  It's not just on here, when I've looked elsewhere it's the same.  As a beginner I feel I need to know the strumming pattern for a particular song to have any chance of giving it a shot, otherwise I'm just strumming 'anything' aimlessly.  I've tried to listen to the original song, whatever it happens to be, but my ear isn't experienced enough to know what the pattern is from listening & the other sounds in a song make it difficult to hear the pattern as a beginner.  Is there some reason why the basic strum patterns are not included along with the chords & lyrics?  It would seem to be sensible to have them included.

The particular songs I'd like to have a go at strumming for fun are:

Take It Easy - The Eagles
Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Early Mornin Rain - Gordon Lightfoot

Does anyone know the patterns for any of these?  Is there anywhere where these can be found online?

Many thanks

Rumble Doll

Re: Strum Patterns

Strum anything aimlessly then.  Or aim it yourself.  And don't presume that just because there's a chord arrangement that it's necessarily 'correct' either. 

Early Morning Rain is on Chordie - I've got it in my Songbook.  I haven't checked for the other two, but I'd be surprised if they aren't around.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I would definitely agree with Zurf - aim it yourself!  I found that strumming and singing along gives a natural pattern in that the rhythm comes naturally and if it don't sound exactly like the original, it's probably close enough for government work!

Don't give up and remember - enjoy!

bonedaddy

I'm the son of rage and love

Could anyone answer the question I was really asking?  If the lyrics & chords are shown for a song, is there some reason why the strum patterns are not also shown?

There must be an appropriate (or suggested) strum pattern with any particular song?  I know people can use variations but you can also vary chords.  I just thought as a guideline it would help if there was even the slightest indication of the strum pattern to use & yet it seems this is never shown (not just on Chordie.com but elsewhere too).  I just wondered what the reason behind not providing the strum pattern is.

I have to agree with Zurf here,

I nearly pulled my hair out trying to learn John Denvers, "This Old Guitar"

Asked on the Forum, and Mr Guppy here discovered it did have the wrong chords in parts.
As to strumming, i have always found the best way if your in real
difficulty, is to strum along to the tune/song its self.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I suggest a book called The Complete Guitar Player Songbook.  It has what you're looking for. 

Most songs don't have strum patterns for several reasons.  One, it'd make writing it out quite complicated as strum patterns change a LOT in songs.  Further, being a beginner, you'd find trying to strum along difficult but a simpler arrangement is something you can do.  So not only would you have to find strum patterns, but strum patterns arranged for beginners.  Two, not everyone "hears" the song the same.  In general, the songs that people know are played by bands, and when you play at home it's generally just you.  So, let's say you have two guitars, a bass, and a drummer - the classic rock quartet.  Anyone writing from four instruments to one is going to have make an arrangement on the song based on the way they hear it and what they think is important in what they hear.  Some people hear the lead, some the rhythm, some the bass line.  Which would you get?  Hard to say. 

Third, Tabs tell you which strings to play.  You listen along for the rhythm and look at the tabs for what strings/frets to play.  So, you get what you're asking for by looking at a Tab of a song and a Chord sheet of a song.  The problem I have with Tabs is what I said above about everyone hearing the songs differently. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Hi Rumble Doll
With struming you have a choice, it's either up or down. Try playing along with the track to get the beat. Try singing along, as the words will give you a clue how to play. In the case of Bad Moon Rising , I would go

G Chord  down, down then (up down (quickly)) - D Chord down down - C Chord - down down - Back to G for two downs. etc

Try

http://www.guitarnoise.com

for some help on how to play songs.

Have a go at "Horse with no name" very simple chords so you can focus on the struming.

After that, try any of the "Easy Songs for Beginners Lessons".

Good luck and don't give up
It's not easy playing a guitar BUT but it is worth the effort in the end.

Cheers
Howard

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

Thank you all.  That is of some help to me, thanks  :-)

And I can assure you I have no intention of giving up, even if I am cr**! Lol.  I started learning on a really cheap rubbish guitar over a year ago.  It was so painful to play that I was 'grimacing' trying to fret & my wrist was aching every chord I tried to play, but despite all the pain I still wanted to continue for some reason!...Mad!  Anyway, I've recently purchased a decent guitar & am finally starting to get somewhere & I love it.  At 41 years old I doubt I will ever be any good but I find it so relaxing and enjoyable that that in itself is good enough reason to continue.

Don't fret Rumble-Doll, I started when I was 41 years old as well.  And I am now the ripe old age of 42, so I haven't been playing long at all.   It is an awful lot of fun, though. 

- Zurf