Topic: Playing the Blues

Ive been reading the topics on scales recently, having become a new fan of blues music (well I say 'new' Ive been listening to John Lee Hooker and BB King for years, but I'm starting to really get into the music as a whole), and I like the style.
   This is what I know:
      Blues ar based on 12 bar rythym, (not exactly sure what that means but I have some idea).
  Blues solos are basically scales, memorized and moved around (a concept Ive finally wrapped my brain and fingers around, exmp: G scale at fifth fret becomes C).
  Blues is played in a clean tone, with basic three chord patterns.....

BUT, where do you actually start as far as learning blues riffs. What I'm asking is what do I do to be able to do cool intros and licks and stuff? is there specific tab I need to learn, or is it simply learning to improvise scales that I need to master? Are there special tunings for blues music?
I guess to sum it up I would ask, how do you go from a basic knowledge of chords and patterns and scales to actually sounding like say BB King or Muddy Waters????
  This is a question about method and practice: while I do appreciate the comments about blues being something you feel and so and so forth, I need technical advice. The blues as an emotion I understand, I even have blues 'tendencies' in a lot of my piss ant rolls and step downs and even rythym, but I would appreciate some practical direction to go in with my practice and technique.

I know the 5-8,5-7,5-7,5-7,5-7,5-8 thing and the extra (5-8,5-6-7 etc.) I know the G and C scales, and how to move them around.

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Playing the Blues

While I'm not a technically accomplished guitarist (technically I can't even play guitar!) I took my first steps by playiing along with Creedence (most of the songs are two to three chords) and Eric Clapton; get the Crossroads collection, you might still be able to get the three tablature books that covered every song in the set!  Clapton I found played slower and it would give me time to figure things out.  The tablature books (three books for the three CD set) were excellent.  I would not try to play the entire song just learn some of the licks until I built up a repitoire and then string them together.  I play by ear so taking the technical approach would have been aggravating to me, I can't read.  Some of Clapton's songs like "Have you ever loved a Woman" and "Key to the Highway" were nice and slow and gave me a chance to "feel" the rhythm while I strummed along.  The books were excellent and gave me a chance to learn a small section of a lead or best of all the cool fills that Clapton would use.  I would memorize small sections until I could recall (fingers willing!) an entire lead.  Of course I could never play the lead EXACTLY like Clapton, you shouldn't worry about that either, but I could get my hands around the whole "Blues" thing using my own style.

I've been playing music now for the last 30 years, released three records of which I wrote 50% of the songs, and I'm having a blast!  Mind you, if someone asked me to play the pentatonic scale in the key of G I'd say "I'm not into that witchcraft, pentagram, ouija board thing man!"  I have absolutely NO idea what I just played, I just know I like the way it sounds!

3 (edited by Kahuna 2007-11-14 20:07:33)

Rebel,

What you can do, also, is move your scale patterns up the neck.  For example, you can play the Am pentatonic on the 5th fret or the 17th fret.  Same goes for the G, either on the 3rd fret or the 12th fret!  For C, I like to stay on the 8th fret. 

Hope this helps!

last_rebel wrote:

Ive been reading the topics on scales recently, having become a new fan of blues music (well I say 'new' Ive been listening to John Lee Hooker and BB King for years, but I'm starting to really get into the music as a whole), and I like the style.
   This is what I know:
      Blues ar based on 12 bar rythym, (not exactly sure what that means but I have some idea).
  Blues solos are basically scales, memorized and moved around (a concept Ive finally wrapped my brain and fingers around, exmp: G scale at fifth fret becomes C).
  Blues is played in a clean tone, with basic three chord patterns.....

BUT, where do you actually start as far as learning blues riffs. What I'm asking is what do I do to be able to do cool intros and licks and stuff? is there specific tab I need to learn, or is it simply learning to improvise scales that I need to master? Are there special tunings for blues music?
I guess to sum it up I would ask, how do you go from a basic knowledge of chords and patterns and scales to actually sounding like say BB King or Muddy Waters????
  This is a question about method and practice: while I do appreciate the comments about blues being something you feel and so and so forth, I need technical advice. The blues as an emotion I understand, I even have blues 'tendencies' in a lot of my piss ant rolls and step downs and even rythym, but I would appreciate some practical direction to go in with my practice and technique.

I know the 5-8,5-7,5-7,5-7,5-7,5-8 thing and the extra (5-8,5-6-7 etc.) I know the G and C scales, and how to move them around.

seems that your interest is in electric blues. thats fine but be aware that theres lots of rural blues, jazz blues all good too but very different so choose licks relevant for songs which you like

in other word beg borrow and steal from BB king, Muddy waters and John Lee Hooker if that what you want to sound like

BB king is a good place to start because he has the BB Zone. he played his songs using part of the majo pentatonic

look on the web for turnarounds and intros he used then add them to your pentatonic

or start with a song. I always come back to "Sweet Home Chicago", "Born under a bad sign", "smokestack lightning"... after playing a bit - you can always depart from the progression and introduce some new licks - the more songs you know the easier you can incorporate riffs and whatnot into your improvised bit

don't always go up and down the pentatonic - you'll die of boredom - do some patterns  5 7 5 then back to 7 and then 7 5 7 etc.

and always start and finish on the root note of the scale. don't be tempted to start on the 6th string and go to the 1st string and back   (if you play the C scale start on the C go up to the top string, down to the bottom string and then back to the C)

actually zz top did some good blues numbers ...La Grange... and for that matter skynard did plenty of bluesy numbers ...Tuesdays gone.... I'm probably just kidding you here.

5 (edited by last_rebel 2007-11-14 22:13:51)

Theres a lot of good music that has bluesy roots, (In my opinion ZZ Top is a very Blues Rock Band, despite thier experiments with disco type sounds on eliminator).

'mr banker' is a real good blues song from skynyrd, hard to find though because it was never released on one of thier original line up records, but dug back up here and there in more recent years to be tacked on greatest hits collections and etc. as a bonus track

'come and go blues' by the allman brothers, of course alot of thier stuff like 'hoochie coochie man' and 'whippin' post' are pretty bluesy

Hank Williams actually used a lot of bluesish type patterns in his songs, in fact it was mostly his country break and twang voice that made his music sound so countryish, the music itself was very bluesy, take 'Low Down Blues' 'Move it on Over' 'Your Gonna change' 'Moanin' the Blues' 'Lovesick Blues' 'My Buckets got a hole in it' and 'Long Gone Lonesome Blues' for examples.

6 (edited by Kahuna 2007-11-15 23:51:21)

John,

Not necessary all in electric blues.  The comments were to open up another place where one can use the same Am Pentatonic scale.  In addition to playing it at the A root, 5th fret.  I am also a big fan of BB King, Eric Clapton, and Muddy Waters.  These legends also play up the neck as well.  For example, the BB box scale uses the 10th fret.  But, I do agree with you on the point that to play the "down home" blues is where one can start his/her experience.  Nonetheless, a player should be familiar with all the arsenals available to him/her.

johncross21 wrote:

seems that your interest is in electric blues. thats fine but be aware that theres lots of rural blues, jazz blues all good too but very different so choose licks relevant for songs which you like.

7 (edited by Detman101 2007-11-16 12:14:51)

I've often wondered how much tragedy my life has to get in order to play the blues competently.
I mean..I still have a job I love, a great wife and kid, a great life and a kewl car.

Does that mean I'm too privileged to play the blues?

Ah well, guess I'll just stick to playing ROCK!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

maybe so, what kind of car?
    Ive always wanted a black 69' SS camaro, white racin' stripes, leather interior, with some johnny cash crankin' out of it, one of those home made poor people stereo systems where you wire a bunch of speakers up and pile em behind the seat.

High volume Johnny Cash is most appropriate when behind the wheel of a massive Cadillac.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

A Black Dodge Charger from '69 with a beefed up stereo playing an evening with the Allman Brothers Band very loudly down route 66!

I'm the son of rage and love

'78 Pontiac Firebird with  Lynyrd Skynyrd blowing out the windows.

Oh man.  Now I'm getting all teary eyed.....

1959 Caddy two door with with Matt Minglewoods
"Black Cadillac" crankin. A good bluesy tune for a sunday
afternoon spin.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Another vote for a '69 Charger!  I had one when I was a teenager!  We were playing UFO, Starz, REO, and Led Zeppelin!

bonedaddy wrote:

A Black Dodge Charger from '69 with a beefed up stereo playing an evening with the Allman Brothers Band very loudly down route 66!

...1971 T/A 340 Hemi "Cuda" is the car for me...

Peace Love & Rock'n Roll

airborne13 wrote:

...1971 T/A 340 Hemi "Cuda" is the car for me...

Yeah, but what's coming out of the radio?

Hows
'bout a '75 Ford Maverick w/ my home stereo technique speakers seat-belted in the back seat blasting Van Halen (the real stuff w/ David Lee Roth) Oh Gawd, oh gawd!!!!!!!!!!! I just got goose bumps all over me arms.
Ga ga ger ger ger ga ga, ger ga ga, UNCHAINED!!!!!!!

Give everything but up.