Topic: Place Names for Concerned Parent!

These are some more strange place names you will find here on the

Emerald Isle!

Muck- Muff -Effin- Hackballs Cross- Still organ-Camp-Inch- Stony batter-

Knock -Kill -Ovens- lots lots more.
Beaver -Ohio.
Arsoli- Italy
Assloss-Scotland
Bignob- Kentucky.
ACocks Green -UK
Baldnob- Australia. Believe me Concerned Parent i left out  Hundreds.

May be a good idea if your Kids are old enough to be here, you should
start preparing them for these stange names and wonderful places
they may encounter in life..

Sincerely

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Place Names for Concerned Parent!

Hello Dolly, I am not Louis Armstrong, but you are so right. A lot of places have crazy names, like the one in Italy. Here in Belgium we have also some places. But about Family names, you can have real freaky situations. Like the Family name PUT, in Dutch NO PROBLEM. it is a pitt (?) but if you have that name pronounced in French, or you live in the French part, it is pronounced different and it means "prosti...So is the Russian president, named PUTIN, in French, see PUT.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

What about Cockermouth and Cockerbush in Cumbria.
I kid you not!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

4 (edited by acmecorp 2007-11-15 16:14:36)

I used to live in Cornwall and there is a place just over the Devon border called Crapstone, never failed to raise a titter.

And of course there is also Brown Willy, the highest point in Cornwall on Bodmin Moor.

regards

David

OK, I have a good one from this side of the pond--there are two towns in centeral Pensylvania, "Paradise", and down the road is a town called "Intercourse".  An old friend of mine in college had a T-Shirt that said "You have to go through Intercourse to get to Paradise"....which, logisticly, was perfectly true.
Sorry if I'm stepping over the line....just talking geography here.

There's a town called Petting over here in Bavaria, Germany.

This is, of course, why I love Chordie.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

What's in a name?

TWIST wrote:

What's in a name?

What ever you want to make of it.

Upper and Lower Dicker.

Ark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toponymy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junebug%2C_Oklahoma

Not as productive as I had hoped but these are some pretty interesting links...

Give everything but up.

It is amazing to see so many words like this
- cockpit
- cocktail
- joe cocker
- peacock
All innocent words, used without noticing this.
I also love playing with words, like Mr AL K Selzer.
About Osama Bin Laden, I am 100% sure that there are people in Japan, having as family name OSAMA

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hell, Michigan
Toad Suck, Arkansas
Wetwang, England
BUT THE BEST NAME I FOUND IS:
In Austria (Schwarzenegger should probably know this) there is a place named FUCKING (THIS IS NOT ON PURPOSE, OR PROFANITY, but it is true.
About names: are there families in the UK or USA having the name "HEAD"? If so please don't name your son....
Their is a place called Funnybone in Canada
In Maryland, there is a place called ACCIDENT, in ITALY, Bastardo. World's End in the UK. Again in Canada, a place called dildo. It is a pity we have also real fantastic names, but it is impossible to translate or understand. Like You Bet (California), a city too.
I wrote years ago a song using all kinds of EXISTING names, and I had very funny lyrics, AND all names of collueges in my village were in that song. I didn't forget it entirely, but it is again impossible to understand the original lyrics, and translating is useless.
I noticed a lot of cities having the same name in the USA, like Springfield.

In Cape Breton we have a place called Balls Creek. They have a food take out called "Lick a Chick" and "Lick a Treat".
also in the very north a place called Meat Cove.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Badeye, I just found somewhere on the web that there is a book with "amazing" CANADIAN names

Hi Forum,

Well so far no joy from "Concerned Parent". But my computer nearly crashed
last evening with all the emails i recieved. To all of you! You all know who you
are i thank you.

I still feel young children should be given the proper names for all kinds
of things. They are always gonna learn the slang words unless there locked away from life and reality.
I personally always taught my own children the proper words for everything
as soon as they could speak.

So Much so, My eldest lad was about six when he ran home one day
and asked me " How come I have a Penis? when my friend Johnathan

has a "Charlie Rooster". We still laugh to this day over that one.

Poor Johnathan has been called "Charlie Rooster" all his life.

So "Concerned Parent" there is a lesson here somewhere.
Good luck always with your children, and at the risk of sounding offensive

to you. Lighten Up" allow your children and your self to live in the real world.
Keeping them ignorent to many things, may make for bigger problems
for you and them in the future.
I wish you the endless joy and love i have had and still have with my now
Grown Men.
Remember your "Ducklings are not Swans yet!. teach them well.

Sincerely

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

25Frankster wrote:

OK, I have a good one from this side of the pond--there are two towns in centeral Pensylvania, "Paradise", and down the road is a town called "Intercourse".  An old friend of mine in college had a T-Shirt that said "You have to go through Intercourse to get to Paradise"....which, logisticly, was perfectly true.
Sorry if I'm stepping over the line....just talking geography here.

Another town in that area is called "Bird-in-Hand".  No word of a lie...

I live close to Frog Jump, Tennessee           smile

Bobby
kickin.ws

Where did they find names, like this. Like some place names what is the historical value? The founders of a city seems to have a very nice imagination.
Do Canadians beat the USA with funny place names?
One of my favourites is that village called FUCKING in AUSTRIA. They speak German in Austria, but that German is more and more different.
A remarkable situation: I noticed that IDENTICAL languages, like CANADIAN FRENCH versus FRENCH in FRANCE are so different. Even here, BELGIUM, you have 60% Dutch versus 40% French, and our Dutch, compared to Dutch in the Netherlands, has changed a lot only the last 30 years. In a lot of languages an existing word in the USA can be totally different than the same word in the UK.

George Bernard Shaw I believe said that England and America are two countries divided by a common language.  How right he was cool

I'm the son of rage and love

I mentioned that it wouldn't surprise me that there are people in the USA, named head.
I looked, it took me a while, but AFFIRMATIVE, there are at least 30 family names HEAD.
So I really should be concerned to use a common name: DICK. And now ladies and gentlemen, here he is the famous D.Head. Check it out, I can't remember the site, but I googled using family names like HEAD.
Also in the USA, a lot of women take the name of their husband, and they loose probably their own identity, or am I wrong?
I always have fun with a certain planet, in other languages they haven't the accent to speak about the same planet.
Bonedaddy, what you tell is remarkable, I travelled once from Chicago to New Orleans, by car, also Nashville and Memphis. VERY STRANGE FOR US: Somewhere in MISSOURI you really notice a Northern American accent and 5 miles more to the south, a Southern Accent.

I had a friend who's name was Name - very confusing.
true story it was spelt Naime, pronounced name.

I've heard that there is actually a dude called Ben Dover.(poor bastard)

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

There is also a place I am working in at the moment called Rooty Hill Sydney Australia.
(for those of you not of Australia having a root, refers to ummmmm how should I put it;
Nevermind.

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

I went to high school with Mike Howe.

Moooo.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Yeah, the name thing - We certainly don't want to expose our children to the nasty things in life - Chordie, ain't one of them things.  Kiddies, once they start to ask, are learning.  So, teach them what "approrpiate" is.  If ya think the content on Chordie is rough, wait till they get to school.

Sorry I just gotta http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2065/droopyiz4.jpg lol:
As TWIST says whats in a name

If easily offended don't follow link.

Not really that rude
Ark