Topic: Censorship

Where to begin.

Who should censor?....and I am not talking about the administrators, because the naturally hold the title.

Where does it end?

Music, T.V., dialogue, books, email, posts, clothing, images???

Gosh, I dunno.  I am open to all views, (good and bad).  I agree we should not promote the nasty things out there, especially because this site is not  18+ and some people are just plain hurtful.  But, gosh, where is the line?? 

Some of the lyrics are pretty nasty.

I love them nasty girls.....should they be censored - even though they are good dancers?

I am nasty - yes, I should be censored.

Or, should I?

My head is abuzz with guidelines, norms and ideology.

Take care,

TWIST

Re: Censorship

Good question...For the youngsters...the parents...
For the rest of the grownups...We have a choice of whether to censor ourselves or not..

If there is something I dont approve of on TV...There is a thing called a remote that deletes it off my screen...The radio also has a control on it that also deletes the unwanted sound..etc..

I dont need someone else to tell me what they think I should or shouldnt be doing/seeing/hearing etc. as I am grown...
As long as im not doing any physical harm to anyone..or speeding in UTAH...

So for me it begins and ends with ME...

So dont worry too much about guidelines, norms and ideology...what is normal anyway?

I tried to keep it brief and hit the high spots..lol...

Seems to me there is no practical way to draw a universal line that represents the demarcation between OK and Not OK.  Persons who are quick to take offense at all manner of stuff want to impose rigid standards - at the other end of the spectrum are no-holds-barred no-rules-at-all types.

I am somewhere between those extremes.  We are trying to raise our kids to be smart enough to think for themselves.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I do not normally like censorship, especailly for anyone over the age of 16. Probably even younger as they hear and see everything  just as much, if not more than adults.  Does that make it ok for someone to say that there should be no censorshipthough because they have heard/seen lots already? I dunno!!.

I let my son ( aged 9) watc hsome films that are rated 12, 15 and a few 18.
Just because it has a bit of sex in it? this should not be hidden from any age as long as it is done in a tasteful way, but then what is a tasteful way when everyones sexual prefferences will change.

I did take a playstation game of my boy, it was an 18. It shows a young boy watching his dad getting killed, shot. Although it is only graphics it looks very real ( apart from all the colour)
If this was a film then I suppose I would let him watch it but to see that everyday when he wanted to play it was a bit too much, so he saw it once. He will get that back when he is about 14,lol and it will be very outdated and something worse will come along.

as for censoring swearing etc, I dont agree with that eithger. I swear like a trooper a lot , but never in front of my kids. I dont know why, maybe the way I was brought up? none of my family swore when i was growing up and I do the same with my kids, but they will hear it all the time. I just dont think it is right that a kid continually hears Effing and C'ing and a lot more, they hear the occasional S**T from me, but thats it.
I dont think I will mind them swearing in the house when they are a bit older, like 14 -15, but not swearing just for the sake of it.
Aroud this area ( central belt of Scotland) swearing is, I tihnk more acceptable than other places in the UK, apart from maybe some cities.
I have some friends and family in Alabama in america and they think they tamest of sweary words are very unacceptable, so it depends on where in the world you are and how you were brought up.

The C word was used very openly not that long ago. It was Queen Vistoria that decided it was not a nice word so she banned ppeople from using it and from there it became unacceptable to say it and now it is classed as the most unacceptable swear word that there is.
She also outlawed men being gay as she said it was not normal, but she refused to believe two women would or could be together, so Being a lesbian was never outlawed in the UK. ( I tihnk she was prbably one herslef and this is why she never outlawed it lol )

So, from churches to royalty, from family man to beggar, we all make our own censorship up depending on the circumstances.

As for censorship in Chordie? I will continue to delete things I persoanlly think there is nothing wrong with, but  iknow others would be offended, whether they are right or not to get offended is not for me to judge. Laws and rules are made and I help maintain them for the sake of a really excellent web site.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I have to agree with everyone, is up to ourselves to be the guides as to what we say, do, listen to, watch and more so what we put out into the world. And it's not just about age or what should be considered dangerous for some to view or hear. Remember everything you say, do, watch, listen to everything has a way of coming back to you. For example, you write a song and it's heard by many or even just a few, if they like it they will repeat what they heard. So if singing about killing or harming someone in such a way it will be listened to and repeated many times over and will eventualy reach someone who may not know if it's real of just you venting frustrations. But I as well as everyone else who has posted about this don't want somone telling me what I can watch, listen to, say or think or feel. I have always believed this and live my life this way. I do try to watch my mouth around certain company, but sometimes a few colorful obscenities will slip, especially dealing with my daughters mother, but that's another story. Basically it's up to everyone to think for themselves and to govern themselves, not anyone else. When we stop or lose the ability to think for ourselves, that's when civilization fails and government takes more control of our everyday lives. So think for yourselves and do what you think is right. But at the same time don't be afraid to speak your mind, just find an intelligent way to convey your thoughts aound those easily offended or easily influenced. Also, maybe this is just me, but sometimes you just need to say FUNK'EM ALL! Rock on good people!

Whenever my band plays at school insted of saying f**k we say funk. Hilarious when the teachers dont realise.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Do you know Forum,

The F### word  And Bo##ix
is used every day in ordinary conversion. Personally i dont use it as part of my everyday use.. But its  just so accepted. I really dislike the way it has become so exceptable to everyone here.
In saying all of that, it ofton makes me burst out laughing sometimes the way its used.

These words are used as affectionate greeting?. Hows it goin there ya "B####x"
or" F#####r
to put some one down " Your only a B####x or F####r

Boredom- Ive a pain in my B####x.
Critique.-Dats the greatest load of B####x i ever heard.

Wil ye look at the price of dat F####r.

Ah for F###s sake!

I could go on and on.
Growing up the only bad word i ever heard was A#se.
I heard my Dad say one time" The curse of my grannies a#se in America on it.?
Something had obviously gone wrong for him.
So for years as a child i thought we had a grandmother in America who had something wrong with her A#se. Sure i was an awful innocent eejit.

The four letter word i have a big problem with is "RAPE! anywhere anytime!

But now! 1 DO  feel censorship  is important up to a certain age. Consenting adults can do as they please..

Old Doll.

Admin please delete if you feel this is inapprioate.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Just leave everything up to me.  It'll be fine.  Juuuuust fine. 

(please send a donation - giving people their opinions is expensive)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by Old Doll 2007-11-26 23:11:29)

Oh i am sorry Zurf,

This was to prove a point "Censorship"  I can ask admin again to delete

if the people here are feeling offended.I was expecting this to be deleted.

Old Doll.

No official should take offence to this thread it would smack of censorship. smile
Swearing, Lena.
Why when one does something detrimental to their person a simple “Oh Dear"  or  something similar never seemed enough.
A good old F….ing off use to make one feel so much better.
But as you say the use of the F..word or such is so common place today that use and feel good factor value of such expletives in the extenuating circumstances has lost most of it’s magic.
Swear words are just not the same as they use to be.

Ark

I completely agree with most of the middle ground opinions here, thats perfect. Altho sometimes at shows at schools I like to say things like "Everythings f**ked up as usual" just to push buttons and provoke a bit of reaction, which it often does.

Then i go to work after school and its completely appropriate termniology for everything to be f**king this and f**cking that.

so who knows?

No need to apologize Ms. Doll.  I was just being a smart alec for some reason. 

I don't worry about censorship on sites like this, and think it's rather odd that someone would assume that the right to free speech (usually applied at a national level) would apply to an international site such as this.  When you consider that just in this thread six different nationalities are represented, the idea that there is such a thing as 'community standards' goes out the window.  I tend to treat conversing in a private site such as this the same as I would treat conversation around the fireplace in someone's family room.  If someone says something offensive, the host has the right to demand appropriate behavior by his own rules.  Further, if someone feels as if something is or should be offensive to the host, it may be appropriate to speak his mind (though at that point whether or not discipline is appropriate remains the perview of the host). 

So, I was being a smart alec because really censorship on a private web site is something that ought to be expected in exactly the same sort of social rules that one can expect censorship at a private club or home.   Plus, I'd really appreciate any donations.  Free money.  What's not to like?

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Whats this B####x you are talking about old doll. I hven't heard that one before, is it some sort of Irish one.

14 (edited by Old Doll 2007-11-27 22:40:05)

Hi Altex,

I have checked back on the threads and see your a 14 years old.

As a Mother i cannot go explaining this to you as to what it signifys here.
I  Do know its very acceptable In England, Ie, The dogs B####x" Meaning something good!

Here although it is used quite a lot in different ways, its considered offensive.

That is unless you know the person well. Then its like a friendly greeting.

Making sense? No! I didn't think so. If you call a stranger here a B####x

your  libel to get a slap around the chops for your self. 

I think this is being lost in translation somehow!. Altex you have enough
words, you dont need this one.
Dictionary says " to make a mess of things.

Old Doll.

Ah I think I get it but here (in Australia) we spell it like this b####cks and it isn't considered as a swear or curse or bad word. Are they called swear words over there?

Hi Altex,

Very much so, despite its every day useage... I have friends and family in Aussie. Got the oppurtunity to go on a paid trip. I had to much work on.
Now i do regret not going. Anyway another time.
Heres a big long list of words i would hear most days.
Also! If you ever meet a middle age Dub. Ask them about "White Flour Bags?
If they can tell you, there are real Dubs.. Heres the story for you to know
just between us you know lol.
When i was a wee Girl { That was when Adam was a Boy, and Pansy was the name of a flower} lol anyways   The women in the area bought "Big White
Flower Bags from the Mills near. People had very little money then.. They would sew them together to make
sheets for the beds.. Now Altex! They were beautifully white forever, but
the hardest most uncomfortable sheets to sleep on!  Looking back now my skin was like a road map getting up in the morning, so dense was the thread!

I still love only white cotten sheets! Egyptian" Heaven to sleep on. My one
great lndulgence now!

With Irish slang of course you need the "Lilting Voice for same. Have a go anyways!
Some Irish slang

Word or phrase Example Meaning !

Acting the maggot He was just acting the maggot as usual Behaving foolishly, annoyingly
Bags.  He made a bags of doing it Messy inadequate job (see hames)
Banjaxed.  It was banjaxed beyond all help Broken, can also mean tired
Bold .  You are a very bold boy Naughty
Crack, craic.. We had great craic that night Hard to translate, roughly meaning fun
Culchies.   The culchies were all over the place Rural people, usually used disparagingly by city people
Cute hoor   I always knew he was a cute hoor Untrustworthy male person, often a politician
Desperate   The place is in a desperate state Bad, needing attention
Drawers   Her drawers were the size of Cork Knickers, panties
Eat the head off   I'll eat the head off her Attack verbally
Eejit   You're a right eejit Idiot, fool
Fair play   Fair play to you Indicates approval of someone's actions or opinions

Fella.   Come here young fella Male person, also used for boyfriend
Flitters   The dog left the shirt in flitters Tatters
Fluthered   He was fluthered again Drunk
Foostering   Just foostering about Not getting much done, fussing
Full shilling   He's not the full shilling Mentally competent
Gas   We had a bit of gas that day Fun, enjoyment
Giving out   The teacher was always giving out to the class Scolding.
Gob   He never shuts his gob Mouth
Gobdaw   That fella's a right gobdaw Fool, idiot
Gom    You're just acting the gom Fool, idiot
Guff       Don't give me any of your guff Idle talk or excuses
Gur   He's been on gur since Saturday Staying away from home, usually a child
Hames     You made a terrible hames of that Messy inadequate job (see bags)
Header   Keep away from that header Mentally unstable person
Holliers   Two weeks holliers for me Holidays, vacation time
Holy show   You made a holy show of yourself Spectacle
Hop   He's been on the hop since Tuesday Playing truant from school
Horse's hoof   That's a bit of a horse's hoof I think Spoof, exaggerated story
Hump off   Would you ever hump off? Go away, leave me alone
Jackeens   The jackeens think they're smart Dublin person, usually used disparagingly by culchies
Jacks    I'm just off to the jacks Toilet, restroom
Jaded   We're all jaded after it Tired, exhausted
Kibosh   He put the kibosh on it Added the last straw, completely banjaxed something
Langered/Langers   We were all langers Drunk
Letting on   I was just letting on Pretending
Mary Hick   That dress is really Mary Hick Unfashionable, drab
Messages   I have to get the messages Groceries
Mooching   He's mooching again for money Sponging, almost begging
Mot   Have you got a mot? Girlfriend
One.    Some oul' one told her Female person
Pictures.   Want to come to the pictures? Movies, Cinema
Puck     He got a puck in the gob Sharp blow
Puss    She'd a right puss on her Face, usually sulky
Reddener.   She took a reddener when she saw him Blush (see Scarlet)
Reef.. I'll reef him when I see him Attack, non-verbal
Scarlet .  I'm scarlet for you Blushing, often in sympathy with a friend's reddener
Scratcher .  He's always in the scratcher Bed
Scrawbed  ..Her face was all scrawbed Scratched by fingernails
Shook   He was very shook looking Pale, ill, scared
Slagging.     I'm only slagging you Making fun of someone, generally good-naturedly
Sleeveen  Shes a bit of a sleeveen Sly person, calculating
Stocious   He was stocious this evening Drunk
.Bazzer. Hair cut. Usually accompanied by " God did ye really pay yr Man/ woman for that Do? ye were robbed.:lol:

Altex these are a very few of the words i hear everyday. Your friends may be interested. Thank you for your interest.

Sláinte. { Slawn Cha  "A SOUND AS IN DRAW" lol

Old Doll

there is again a difference between USA & EUROPE:
- mentality
- attitude
- expressions
- the way Afro-Americans talk. I broke the glass of my rear window, and the people there told me what to do, they even phoned the "police", got drinks for free. When the police man arrived, he didn't go out, and asked where I was. I answered in Chicago, he answered yes, but added that this part of Chicago, was "Chicago's baddest part", and his patrolling car was never closer than 50-100 feet. He told because of the danger. I still don't know why, but the way (all Afro Americans) spoke, cursed was unbelievable, m*****f****r, was 100% equal as we hear them on Television. I really don't know who started using this specific language? is it called JIVE talking?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Full shilling - I like that one.  In the U.S. we have dozens of ways of saying the same thing.  Here's a few that come to mind.

He's a few slices short of a loaf.
His elevator doesn't reach the top floor.
He's about a quart low.
He's about a half a bubble off of plumb.  (this was used in Quigley Down Under to humorous effect)
His lights are on but nobody's home.
He's lost his marbles.
And many more...

Doc - I think that constant use of foul language has as much to do with a lack of education as it does ethnicity.  I grew up in Appalachian Pennsylvania.  By and large, the only black persons there were associated with a small college we had in the town and were well educted.  However, I heard some horrendous language from some of my high school class mates - particularly those who didn't care much about grades or learning.  I'm no expert on urban living, though, so could be all wet. 

- Zurf

Interesting. Some of them are used over here probably due to all the Irish settlers back  in the old days.  Here's a list of Aussie slang words that I wrote....nah I just scabbed it of the net.

See Ya

Altex

A
Act: Pretending to be something you're not.
Aggro: Aggressive.
Alf: Stupid person.
Amber or Amber fluid: Beer.
Apple Eater: Resident of Tasmania.
Arvo: Afternoon.
Aussie (pronounced 'Ozzie'): Australian.
Avagoyermug: Traditional rallying call, often heard at cricket matches (contraction of 'Have a go, you mug!')
Award wage: Minimum pay rate.

B
Back of beyond: Far away in the outback.
Back of Bourke: The middle of nowhere.
Bag: Lady who is not particularly pleasant.
Bail out: Leave.
Bail up: Hold up, rob, earbash.
Banana Bender: Resident of Queensland.
Barbie (Barbecue): Like a cook out. Many people get together for a 'Barbie' in the warmer months. They are usually BYO (Bring your own) meat and drinks.
Barney: Fight or scuffle.
Barrack: To cheer on a team at a sporting event.
Bastard: General form of address which can mean practically anything from highest praise ('a good bastard') to worst insult ('a rotten bastard'). When in doubt, don't use it.
Bathers: Swimming costume (Victoria and South Australia).
Battler: Hard trier, struggler.
Beaut, beauty, bewdie: Very good. Excellent.
Belt up!: Shut up!
Berko: Angry.
Bible basher: Minister, or any proselytising Christian.
Bickie: Dollar.
Big mobs: Large amount, heaps.
Bikies: Motorcyclists.
Billabong: Water hole in a dry riverbed, or more correctly an ox-bow bend cut off in the dry season by receding waters.
Billy: Used for making tea in, usually over a campfire. The best billies are the old ones, which make better tea.
Bitumen: Surfaced road.
Black Stump: Out towards the horizon. A long way away.
Block: Block has a few meanings but the more Aussie one is your head.
Bloke: Person, usually a male.
Bloody: All-purpose intensifying adjective.
Blowies: Blow flies.
Bludge: Not doing anything or getting things from others.
Bludger: Lazy person.
Blue: A fight.
Bluey: A swag; or the nickname of someone with red hair.
Bonzer: Great, ripper.
Boomer: Very large; a particularly large male kangaroo.
Boomerang: Curved flat wooden instrument used by Aborigines for hunting. If your boomerang returns, it means you MISSED!
Booze: Alcohol, usually beer.
Booze bus: Police van used for random breath testing for alcohol.
Bottle shop: Liquor shop.
Buckley's: No chance at all.
Bug (Moreton Bay bug): Small crab.
Bullamanka: Imaginary place even beyond back of Bourke, way beyond the black stump.
Bull dust: Fine and sometimes deep dust on outback roads. And a polite version of bullshit.
Bunyip: Mythical bush spirit, mainly associated with rivers, with an overtone of cuteness.
Burl: Have a try, as in 'give it a burl'.
Bush: Somewhere in the country or away from the city. Go bush means go back to the land.
Bushbash: Force one's way through pathless bush.
Bushranger: Outlaw, analogous to the outlaws of the American Wild West (some goodies, some baddies).
Bush tucker: Native foods, usually in the outback.
Butcher's: To look. Rhyming slang from 'butcher's hook'.
BYO: Bring Your Own (booze to a restaurant, meat to a barbecue, etc.)

C
Caaarn!: Traditional rallying cry at football games (contraction of 'Come on!').
Camp oven: Large, cast-iron pot with a lid, for cooking on an open fire.
Captain Cook: To have a look.
Cask: Wine box.
Chiko roll: Australian junk food.
Chook: Chicken.
Chuck: Chuck has a few meanings. It can mean to throw or to put in.
Chuck a U-ey: Make a U-turn.
Chunder: Vomit, drive the porcelain bus, kerbside quiche, pavement pizza, liquid laugh, rainbow sneeze, technicolour yawn.
Cleanskin: Unbranded cattle.
Clobber: Clothes; to hit.
Cobber: Mate (archaic).
Cocky: Small-scale farmer.
Come good: Turn out all right.
Compo: Compensation, such as workers' compensation.
Conk: To hit someone (archaic).
Cooee: Bush greeting.
Coolabah: Type of box eucalyptus tree.
Corroboree: Aboriginal meeting, with ceremonial dancing. Corroboree is also a ballet by Australian composer John Antill (1904-1986).
Counter meal, countery: Pub meal.
Cow: Also means anything that is difficult.
Cow cocky: Small-scale cattle farmer.
Cozzie: Swimming costume (New South Wales).
Crook: Ill, badly made, substandard.
Crow Eater: Resident of South Australia.
Cut lunch: Sandwiches.

D
Dag, daggy: Dirty lump of wool at the back end of a sheep, also an affectionate or mildly abusive term for a socially inept person.
Daks: Trousers.
Damper: Bush loaf made from flour and water cooked in a camp oven.
Dead horse: Tomato sauce.
Deli: Delicatessen. Milk bar in South Australia and Western Australia.
Dijeridu: Cylindrical musical instrument played usually by Aboriginal men.
Dill: Idiot.
Dillybag: Small bag to carry things.
Dinkie die: The whole truth.
Dinkum, fair dinkum: Genuine or honest.
Divvy van: Police divisional van.
Do your nana: Lose your rag, spit the dummy, lose your temper.
Dob In: To tell (an authority) on someone.
Donk: Car or boat engine.
Don't come the raw prawn: Don't try to fool me.
Down south: The rest of Australia, according to someone north of Brisbane, Queensland.
Drive the porcelain bus: Vomit.
Dry, the: Dry season in the north.
Drongo: Worthless or stupid person.
Duco: Car paint.
Dunny: Outdoor lavatory.
Dunny budgies: Blow flies.

E
Earbash: Non-stop talk.
Eastern states: The rest of Australia, according to someone in Western Australia.
Enzedder: New Zealander.
Esky: Large insulated box for keeping beer etc. cold, (short for Eskimo box).
Evo: Evening.

F
Fair crack of the whip!: Fair go!
Fair dinkum: Genuine or honest.
Fair go: Give some a chance or an opportunity to do something.
Financial: To be flush with cash.
FJ: Most revered Holden car.
Flake: Shark meat, used in fish and chips.
Flaming: All-purpose intensifying adjective.
Flat out: As fast as possible.
Floater: Meat pie floating in pea soup, viewed by Australians either as a great delicacy or as a great emetic.
Flog: Sell; steal.
Fossick: To hunt for gemstones.
From arsehole to breakfast: All over the place.
Furphy: A rumour or a false story.

G
Galah: Noisy parrot, thus noisy idiot.
Game: Brave.
Gander: Have a look.
Gaol: Australian and British variant spelling of 'jail'.
Garbo: Garbage collector.
G'day: A greeting. It is the Aussie way of saying good day.
Gibber or gibby: Aboriginal word for stony desert.
Give it away: Give up.
Going 'troppo': Going tropical; laid-back and fun-loving; insane.
Good oil: Accurate information.
Good possie: Advantageous position.
Good on ya!: Well done!
Grazier: Large-scale sheep or cattle farmer.
Grizzle: To complain.
Grog: General term for alcohol.
Grouse: Very good, unreal.
Gum Sucker: Resident of Victoria.
Gumtree: Eucalyptus.
Gutzer: Some plans don't work out or to have an accident (to come a gutzer).

H
Hire: To rent, as 'to hire a car'.
His nibs: The boss.
Homestead: Residance of a station (ranch or farm) owner or manager.
Hooley: Wild party.
Hoon: Idiot, hooligan, yahoo.
Hooly-Dooly: An expression of surprise.
Hotel: Sometimes means only a pub.
How are ya?: Standard greeting.
HQ: Second most revered Holden car.
Hump: To carry.

I
Icy-pole: Frozen lolly water or ice cream on a stick.
Identity: Celebrity.
In full feather: In fine health.
In yer boot!: An expression of disagreement (archaic).
It's a goer: Something that will definitely occur.

J
Jack-in-the-box: Person who can't sit still.
Jackaroo or Jillaroo: Trainee on a cattle station (ranch or farm).
Jingoes!: Exclamation of wonder.
Jocks: Men's or boys' underpants.
Joe Bloggs: The average citizen.
Joey: Baby kangaroo, still in the pouch.
Journo: Journalist.
Jumbuck: Sheep.
Jumped-up: Full of self-importance; arrogant.

K
Kafuffle: Argument.
Kanga or kangaroo: Shoe.
Keen as mustard: Enthusiastic.
Kelpie: Sheep dog or cattle dog.
Kerb: Alternative Australian and British spelling of 'curb'.
Kerbside quiche: Vomit.
Kick: To share or join in.
Kick-in: to provide your share. The pot (kitty) is called the 'kick'.
Kip: Sleep or nap.
Kiwi: New Zealander.
Knackers: Testicles (also love spuds, nuts, nads).
Knock: To criticise.
Knocker: One who criticises.
Kombi: Multi-purpose van-like vehicle, often modified so the back seats were folded down to get a mattress in the back.
Koori: Aborigine (mostly south of the Murray River).

L
Lair: Layabout, hooligan.
Lairise: To behave in a vulgar, flamboyant manner.
Lamb-brained: Stupid.
Lamington: Sponge cake cut into squares, covered in chocolate and coconut.
Larrikin: Ruffian or hoodlum.
Lay-by: To put a deposit on an article so a shop will hold it.
Licensed: Legally permitted to sell alcoholic drinks.
Like a bandicoot on a burnt ridge: Lonely and vulnerable.
Liquid laugh: Vomit.
Lob: Arrive.
Lollies: Candy or sweets.
Lolly: Money.
Loo: Lavatory or toilet.
Lot: The whole thing.
Lurk: Scheme (no negative connotation).

M
Ma Stater: Resident of New South Wales.
Mad: Crazy (seldom means anger).
Mallee: Remote bushland of Victoria.
Manchester: Household linen.
Mate: This usually means a friend but it can be used to talk about or to anyone - even a total stranger.
Matey with: Familiar or friendly with.
Matilda: The belongings of a swagman, wrapped in a blanket or bedroll.
Middy: 285 ml beer glass (New South Wales).
Milk bar: Corner general store.
Milko: Milkman.
Mob: Group of person or things (not necessarily unruly).
Mozzie: Mosquito.
Mug: Either a fool or your face.

N
Naff: Ridiculous, useless.
Nana: Banana.
Nark: Spoilsport.
Narked: Annoyed.
Neddies: Horses.
Never-never: Desert region far away in the outback.
Nick: To steal.
Nick out: Go somewhere for short period of time.
Nit: Fool or idiot.
No hoper: Hopeless case.
No shortage of oscar: To be flush with money.
No worries!: Everything will be fine!
Noise off: Speak loudly.
North Island: Mainland Australia, according to someone in Tasmania.
Northern summer: Summer in the Northern Hemisphere.
Nulla-nulla: Wooden club used by Aborigines.
Num-nums: Tasty food.

O
Ocker: Uncultivated or boorish Australian.
Off-sider: Assistant or partner.
Oil: Information.
On a good lurk: To have a good job.
Outback: The bush, or uncivilised uninhabited region.
Oy!: An ocker's call; hey!
Owyergoin: How are you going? Often used with 'G'day' and 'Mate'.
OYO: On your own (flat or apartment).
Oz: Australia, as in Oz-tralia.

P
Packed out: Filled to capacity.
Packet: Large some of money, an envelope.
Paddock: Field or meadow.
Pally: On friendly terms with.
Paper yabber: Letter.
Parcel: Package.
Pastoralist: Large-scale grazier.
Pavement pizza: Vomit.
Pavlova: Traditional Australian meringue and cream dessert, names after Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova.
Pearler: Excellent.
Perve: To gaze with lust, purview.
Pester: Annoy or bother someone.
Petrol: Gasoline.
Piffle: Nonsense.
Pinch: To arrest.
Pineapple, rough end of: Stick, sharp end of; misfortune.
Piss: Alcohol, usually beer.
Piss turn, piss up: Boozy party.
Piss weak: No good, gutless.
Pissed: Drunk.
Pissed off: Annoyed.
Pivot on: Consider.
Plant the foot (to the floorboards): Drive fast.
Plonk: Cheap wine (contemptuous contraction of 'vin blanc').
Poddy dodger: Cattle rustler. Poddy calves are milk-fed but not by a cow.
Poker machine, pokies: Slot machine or fruit machine but with playing card pips. Found in clubs mainly in New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia.
Pom or Pommy: English person.
Poofter: Homosexual.
Possie: Position.
Postie: Postman.
Pot: 285 ml glass of beer (Victoria and Queensland).
Prang: Accident or crash.
Proprietary (Pty.): Company (Co.).
Pub: Any hotel. A favourite meeting place of many Australians.
Push: Group or gang of people, such as shearers.
Putt-putt: Any small vehicle.

Q
Q: Thank you (mumbled).
QANTAS: Acronym for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service.
Quack: Doctor, especially if not very good.
Quick smart: In a hurry.
Quids: A lot of money.

R
Rainbow sneeze: Vomit.
Rapt: Delighted, enraptured.
Ratbag: Someone who does not behave properly.
Raw Prawn: A lie or a con job.
Razoo: Fictitious coin, as 'I haven't a brass razoo'.
Reckon!: You bet! Absolutely!
Rego: Registration, as in car rego.
Ridgy-didge: Original, genuine.
Ringer: Fast sheep shearer.
Ripper: Good.
Road train: Multi-trailered semi truck. Legal only in Northern Territory.
Roo: Kangaroo.
Roo bar: Metal rod on front of vehicles to protect against kangaroo strikes.
Root: Have sexual intercourse.
Rooted: Tired.
Ropable: Very ill-tempered or angry.
RS: Lousy (rat shit).
Rubbish: To tease, as in 'to rubbish'.
Rug up: Dress for warmth.

S
Sack: To dismiss from a job.
Salvo: Member of the Salvation Army.
Sandgroper: Resident of Western Australia; sand-burrowing desert insect.
Scallops: Fried potato cakes (Queensland and New South Wales), shellfish (elsewhere).
Scheme: System or method (no negative connotation).
School: Group of drinkers, each of whom buys a round.
Schooner: Large beer glass (New South Wales, South Australia).
Screamer: Noisy drunk.
Scrub: Can be the same as the bush or it can mean areas in the country without many trees.
Sea wasp: Deadly box jellyfish.
Sealed road: Surfaced road.
See you in the soup: See you around.
Semitrailer: Articulated truck.
Septic: Disparaging term for an American ('septic tank' rhymes with 'Yank').
Session: Lengthy period of heavy drinking.
Sheila: Female or woman.
Shellacking: Complete defeat.
She'll be right!: Everything will be fine!
Shivoo: Rowdy party (archaic).
Shonky: Unreliable.
Shoot Through: To leave or disappear in a hurry.
Shout: Pay for someone else, particularly a round of drinks.
Shove off!: Go away!
Shirty: To get upset or angry.
Sickie: Day off work ill, or malingering.
Silk shirt on a pig: Something wasted.
Sink the boot: Go in hard.
Skint: Broke.
Skite: To boast.
Slab: 24 cans (tinnies) of beer, shrink-wrapped as a unit.
Slog: Hard work.
Smoko: Smoke or tea break.
Snag: Sausage.
Sport: More general way to refer to someone rather than a mate.
Spunky: Good-looking, attractive as in 'what a spunk'.
Square off: Apologise and make reparations.
Square up: Prepare to fight (as in boxing).
Squatter: Large landowner who originally occupied land as a tenant of the government.
Squattocracy: Australian 'old money' folk, who made their fortunes by being first on the scene and grabbing the land.
Station: Large farm or ranch.
Sticky beak: Nosy person.
Stinger: Deadly box jellyfish.
Strewth!: It's the truth! An exclamation, often of surprise.
Strides: Daks, trousers.
Strine: Australian slang ('Australian' spoken in strine).
Stubby: 375 ml bottle of beer.
Sunbake: Sunbathe.
Surfy: Surfing fanatic.
Swag: Canvas-covered bedroll used in the outback.
Swagman: Vagabond, rural tramp.
Swimmers: Swimming costume (Queensland, Victoria).

T
Take away food: Take-out food.
Tall poppies: Achievers, often a disparaging term.
Tariff: Rate.
Taswegian: Resident of Tasmania (patterned after 'Norwegian').
Tea: evening meal.
Technicolour yawn: Vomit.
Tee up: Organise or arrange.
Telly: The television.
Thingo: Thing, whatchamacallit, whomajigger, hooza meebob, doo velacki, thingamajig.
This arvo: This afternoon.
Thongs: Rubber sandals, flip-flops
Tinny: Can of beer. Also a small aluminium fishing dinghy (Northern Territory).
Togs: Swimming costume (Queensland, Victoria).
Too right!: Absolutely!
Top End: Northern part of the Northern Territory.
Top Ender: Resident of the Northern Territory.
Trucky: Truck driver.
True blue: Dinkum.
Tucker: Food. Australian schools call their canteens a 'tuckshop'.
Twit: Fool or idiot.
Two-pot screamer: Someone who can't hold his liquor.
Two-up: Traditional Australian heads/tails gambling game, played with 2 coins.
Tyre: Australian and British spelling of 'tire'.

U
Underdaks: Underwear.
Uni: University.
Up a gumtree: In a quandary.
Up north: New South Wales and Queensland, according to someone in Victoria.
Ute: Utility truck or vehicle.

V
Vee-dub: Volkswagon car.
Vegemite: Popular vegetable extract used as sandwich spread.
Velvet: Highly profitable or advantageous.

W
Waffle: Nonsense.
Wag: To skip school or work.
Walkabout: Lengthy walk away from it all.
Wallaby track, on the: To wander from place to place in search of work (archaic).
Waltz Matilda: To carry a swag.
Weatherboard: Wooden house.
Wet, the: Rainy season in northern Australia.
West Island: Australia, to a New Zealander.
Wharfie: Dockworker.
Whinge: Complain and carry on unnecessarily.
Whomajigger: Term for person or thing whose actual name one can't remember.
Willy-nilly: Small dust twister. Also, without thought.
Wobbly: Disturbing, unpredictable behaviour, as in 'throw a wobbly'.
Woomera: Stick used by Aborigines to throw spears.
Wowser: Spoilsport or puritan.

X
XXXX: Fourex, a favorite brand of Queensland beer.

Y
Yabbie: Small freshwater crayfish.
Yahoo: Noisy and unruly person.
Yahooing: Boisterous behaviour.
Yakka, yakker: Hard work, an Aboriginal term
Yank: American.
Yankee shout: A round of drinks in which everyone pays his own. Yank tank: An American car.
Yobbo: Uncouth, aggressive person.
Yonks: Ages, a long time.
Youse: Plural of you (by the grammatically challenged).

Z
Zebra crossing: Broad-striped pedestrian roadway crossing.
Zed: Australian and British pronunciation of 'Z'.
Zeds: Pertaining to sleep (zzz).

20 (edited by jerome.oneil 2007-11-29 08:28:41)

The English and the Irish have given us the greatest two contributions to the language, ever.

Bollox.

Wanker.

Those are dang near perfect words.

In fact, I feel a song coming on!!!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Altex,

I enjoyed reading that post.. very few id  heard of before. But funny and enjoyable just the same.

Thank You!

Old Doll.