1 (edited by andros67 2007-12-02 01:42:40)

Topic: GOOD JOB!

Hiya guys, its been a while since my last post, and I would like to say a BIG THANKYOU to everyone responsible for making Chordie what it is, the best site for sourcing songs and for learning all aspects of guitar, from changing strings to guitar playing tecniques etc, I sometimes get home from work make a tea, sit back and just browse through the comments in the forum and can spend hours just reading the comments made by genuinly helpfull musicians. I have learned loads from you guys so again BIG THANKS. One concern however, I heard  that guitar tab sites are being closed down due to copyright issues, is this true, and I heard Chordie being mentioned on the radio as one of the sites being looked into, whats the latest on this? anyone?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Peace and Love, Andy.

Re: GOOD JOB!

Hi andros
It is a shame that artists/recod companies feel the need to spoil people's fun by taking away sites that let their fans know how to play their songs, as if they never had enough money as it is without making more from Books on their songs. And most of the time you cannot even find the book by a certain artist for a certain song because they have not even published one.

As for mentioning chordie, I never have not heard of this. I dont see what they can do to chordie as chordie is only a search engine that takes songs from other sites.
Maybe record companies will find a way to point the finger at chordie too? But as far as I thought, if their were no other sites like tabmaster,pj chords etc, chordie could not direct you to a song.

Lets hope ALL guitar sites stay online.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I have read a little on this and it seems it is applying to the USA. IF the website is running from there then they are closing them, Ultimate guitar is based in russia and refuse to close their site and the U.S lawyers cannot stop them (or that is what I am understanding of it)

Choride is not run from america so if like other sites that are outside the U.S then Chordie should not be getting forced to close.

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

I have read a little on this and it seems it is applying to the USA. IF the website is running from there then they are closing them, Ultimate guitar is based in russia and refuse to close their site and the U.S lawyers cannot stop them (or that is what I am understanding of it)

Choride is not run from america so if like other sites that are outside the U.S then Chordie should not be getting forced to close.

KEn

Glad to hear they cant force chordie down, mind you i did hear Chordie mentioned on the radio a few months back so maybe if they could have shut us down, they would have by now. Andy.

so much for the freedom of the net - a case like this means that no information of any kind can be on the net - cos all information is sourced from someone elses work . also - in regard to chord tabs - do they really think that by us learning chord tabs we are not going to buy their music ? what a crazy world ....

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

i dont think it has anything to do with infringment, the record companies and related interest have only one goal,to make more money and the law firms that represent them are only to happy to oblidge their wishes because they will make money.this has nothing to do with freedom which is ironic because the usa was founded on these principals.greed rears its ugly head and is hungry it must be fed and freedom is the meal. acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

7 (edited by andros67 2007-12-04 16:17:59)

acapo wrote:

i dont think it has anything to do with infringment, the record companies and related interest have only one goal,to make more money and the law firms that represent them are only to happy to oblidge their wishes because they will make money.this has nothing to do with freedom which is ironic because the usa was founded on these principals.greed rears its ugly head and is hungry it must be fed and freedom is the meal. acapo

I think your right, I cant speak for anyone else, but I'm not a profeesional musician, I play for fun at home, so technically im not infringeing on any copyright laws, so whats their problem? But one day if i'm ever good enough, i'd like to play live to an audience, in which case I'd be responsible for paying royalties, so they will get their money. But as Acapo says, its all about Major corporations making more money. Dividends for shareholders, and as Evsynator says, so much for freedom of the net. Is it a matter of time before the governments of the world are able to surpress freedom of speech on the www? but thats for another day. Peace Andy.