1 (edited by squizzlybear 2007-12-10 13:58:47)

Topic: Reading Chords

I'm not a complete idiot, but i have serious trouble reading the chords on the right side of the music. How do I know which Fret to put my fingers on? I'm sure the x's and o's have something to do with counting the frets but i have no clue how far down on the neck to place my fingers. Also, What's with the numbers on the "text only" music sheets? I'm guessing it's which finger to put on the string, but again, which fret am I on? Please can some one help me out?

Re: Reading Chords

Hiya Squizzlybear,

I'm also teaching myself to play. To learn which fingers to use  for chords i use www.chordbook.com This is a great site for learning chords, scales and even tuning your guitar if you haven't a tuner. It has numbers on the chord diagrams showing where to put your fingers ie 1=first finger 2 =second finger etc, check it out, i found it invaluable. After a while and with lots of practice you wont think about making a chord shape, if will become second nature.

X on the chord chart means not to strum that string, and o means strum the string.

When you see a chord diagram which has a number on the left of it, this denotes which Fret to start your chord shape. Chordbook .com is actually quite easy because it has a great diagram of a guitar neck showing you exactly where to start your chord shape.

And i'm guessing "the text only music sheets" that your enquireing about are the "tabs" short for tablature, this is what guitarists use to learn solos as well as chords and is very easy to understand once you get the hang of it. I dont use them at the moment because i'm happy playing chords on my acoustic, and just improvising on my electric, so i'll leave that for someone more qualified to explain to you, but believe me its dead easy.

But it depends what you want to do, if you want to learn solos then maybe learn a scale or two and get into tabs. If your like me and want to learn songs to acompany your self singing, then learn a couple of easy songs playing chords.

I hope this helps. Bare in mind i've only been playing for less then a year myself, and i'm sure someone out there in Chordie land will be able to add to what i've said, or even correct any duff advice i've given you.

I've learned loads form here and i'm glad to be able to give s litle back.

Peace...Andy

Try this site for more info www.justinguitar.com his lessons are free and he goes over alot of basic stuff including tabs, well worth a look.

The only thing i'd like to add is dont get your self too bogged down trying to learn too much at the same time, try and decide what you would like to achieve first and work on that, then move on.

Peace....Andy

Much obliged. But, what do the numbers mean on the texts?

squizzlybear wrote:

Much obliged. But, what do the numbers mean on the texts?

I'm not too sure what you mean by "numbers on the text" can you clarify, or copy/paste an example?

If anyone else knows please feel free to chip in.

Andy.

I tihnk the numbers thing might be when you see a number 3 next to the chord chart? this signifies that the chord you see starts on the 3rd fret.
It is instead of showing lots of frets it lets you know where the fingers are nearest the 1st fret. So if it shows 7 it starts on the 7th fret. It saves showing about 10 frets for one chord.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

if you take the first string {the thinest} e  and put your finger on the first fret you have f the frets are chromatic which means each fret is a half step apart 1=f 2=f#or g flat 3=g 4=g#or a flat 5=a 6=a# or b flat 7=b or c flat 8=c 9=c# or d flat 10=d 11=d# or e flat 12=e and you start over{13=f ect.... i hope this helps you locate where you are on the neck.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Groovy good, thanx for all the help!

Hey I'm new to this site and playing a guitar....I really want to learn how to play songs all ready. I have been studying the chords. I have an acoustic guitar it came wit a DVD they explained chords and such. I found this web side bc i wanted to learn a song. but i can't seem to read any of your notes. seems like something different. Can someone help me out??? What i have been learning is something like this... A major is when u place your 1st finger on the second string and so on..... now the notes on this website are

|-------------0---------|    |-----7--7--7p0--7-8--7h8/5-7----------|
|----------0-----0------|    |-----------0----0-0--------0----------|
|-------0-----------0---|X 3    |--------------------------------------|(continue to next line)
|-----------------------|    |--------------------------------------|
|-----------------------|    |--------------------------------------|
|--0--------------------|    |--------------------------------------|

Now that just loooses me how do i play that???  I'm lost please help..:(

Hi Dusia & welcome to chordie and to the chordie forum!

You are asking about 'tabs'.  Not everything on chordie is in tab format.  Most of it is in chord notation.  If you look around a bit more you can often find different versions of a song - some in chords, some in tabs.  Some artists inspire 'tabbers' and some artists inspire 'chorders' to figure out the music and post it to the web.

Tabs are a simply one method of showing which fret and which string to play.  The first set of tabs in your post indicated that the strings are played 'open' (zero fret).  So, you would pluck or pick each string in the order indicated reading from left to right.  Tabs don't show precise rhythmic values, just the order of the notes.

The second set of tabs is a little more involved.  The 'p' represents a pull-off.  The 'h' represents a hammer-on.  The '/' represents a slide.

Tabs are useful mostly to convey the details of licks and riffs - some players prefer tabs, some players don't.

Here is a link to an article that explains some of the common notations used in tabs:
http://guitargnome.com/tab.html

Hope this helps.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

It's worthwhile to be able to speak in terms of chords, though.  It eliminates a whole lot of paper, and makes learning songs communicable by voice.

"Hey I wrote this new song."

"Oh yeah, how's it go?"

"See effin gee."  (C  F  and G)

"I can play that."

Easy!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]