Topic: New guitar's action

I just got my Guild today and it sounds great...I luv it  but I wanted to ask you all something about "normal" action on a new guitar.

The strings are very close to the fretboard in the first few frets and gradually get higher up the board. Can I assume that is normal?
I've only had one guitar my entire life and that one is very old so I have nothing to compare my new one to.
Although I suck at my barre chords, I did manage to get some nice sound up the board so can I assume all is well?
thanks from a newbie

Re: New guitar's action

That is normal but the strings should be about 3/16 of an inch off the fret board at the 12th fret. I get mine as low as I can with out making it buzz. It is just easier to play

Re: New guitar's action

kayharley wrote:

I just got my Guild today and it sounds great...I luv it  but I wanted to ask you all something about "normal" action on a new guitar.

The strings are very close to the fretboard in the first few frets and gradually get higher up the board. Can I assume that is normal?
I've only had one guitar my entire life and that one is very old so I have nothing to compare my new one to.
Although I suck at my barre chords, I did manage to get some nice sound up the board so can I assume all is well?
thanks from a newbie

Take it back to the shop where you bought it asn ask the tech to check the neck relief it may just need to be adjusted. Allot of music stores will just take a guitar out of the box and put it on the floor or wall without a physcial check.

Bootlegger.