Topic: Dreadnoughts and OOO martins

Martin, being the king of the FLATTOPS has also a lot of O or OOO guitars.
Which guitar is the best to play, and what guitar is better, talking about sound?
Is it similar to a GIBSON HUMMINGBIRD or DOVE versus A GIBSON SJ-200?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Dreadnoughts and OOO martins

long live the king but there mus be at least a hundred guitars that have copied and incorporated martin and gibson technology i suspect  with martin and gibsons help for compensation of coarse

"Growing old is not for sissies"

As for sound, that is totally subjective..it's whatever sounds good to the individual..Myself, I'm pretty partial to Gibson, Epiphone (what I play now) and some Yamaha's. As far as the best too play, I think it would depend on the action and string type.

Merry Christmas to All!!!!!!!!

gitaardocphil wrote:

Which guitar is the best to play, and what guitar is better, talking about sound?

gitaardocphil wrote:

Not only do Gibsons and Martins sound different from each other, the different guitar shapes sound different too.  I have a long history with both, and here are my descriptions of the sounds:

Martin (generally) -- very clear and woody, vibrant highs as well as powerful lows and midrange, top is more resonant
Dreadnought (D28, D35, etc.) -- most powerful bass, best for strumming but the mahogany ones (D18) are amazing for bluegrass (Tony Rice) and the rosewood ones just sound incredible behind someone singing really well (think Seals & Croft, David Crosby, Steven Stills)
OOOO or M -- large round body but shallower than a dreadnought, notes dissipate quicker so it's great for recording studio, all the folk musicians in the world love this one (Arlo Guthrie, Shawn Colvin, etc.)
OOO and OM -- smaller rounder body, a finger player's guitar, Eric Clapton has several, great for blues because of the balance and highs but the lows aren't as resonant as in the larger guitars
OO -- a little smaller but deeper body, traditional blues guitar of the really old school like Elizabeth Cotton, Goeff Muldaur (yes, I know he's not nearly so old...)
O -- even smaller, clear tones, Joan Baez plays this one

Gibson (generally) -- darker and "full" sound, power in chords, notes are quicker to fade to make room for more
Jumbo (like SJ) -- really loud and bassy and "chunky" too, sound great with internal pickups, think Pete Townsend playing acoustic guitar on "Pinball Wizard"
Dreadnought (like Dove, Hummingbird, older Southern Jumbos) -- most powerful bass, still a strumming guitar all the way, but Jackson Browne plays one man lead on it, listen to his Solo Acoustic album...
LG and similar -- smaller rounder shape, tone very much like OOO Martins, nice highs but lows not as resonant as the larger guitars

What do I play?
Martin HD28 (dreadnought) is my favorite, for folk and acoustic rock and pop
Martin OM28 (OM, OOO) is for sweet fingerpicking songs and jazzy blues
Gibson LG2 is for hard core down the blues my naughty sweetie gave to me

I'm personally partial to Martins because (1) I play with my fingers a lot, and they respond better, and (2) they go better with my voice, and (3) I like the clarity of the sound.

I just got a OOO and i love it

Welcome njbasspro88!!! 

I have nothing to add to the topic.  I just noticed this was njbasspro88's first post.

Thanks Ibaroff for that excellent description.  Very informative. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I`ve had a 000-r for the last 2 years and I`m well pleased [maybe read rather smug]. That was one thing i did notice before i bought a martin was that other people who owned them were rather smug about it too. Maybe i should start up a club for smug Martin owners although i guess there already is one.

You can`t wind me up , I`m electric.

I have a huge collection of wonderful guitars, being an amateur. That collection started by coincidence, with a Martin HD-28, paying 700€ = 1032$ 10 years ago, from a drug addict who needed money. Other masterpieces: a FENDER STRATOCASTER 1964 together with a GIBSON LES PAUL 1968 BLACK (= black beauty), from an alcoholic, who is/was a brilliant player. UNBELIEVABLE HOW PEOPLE CAN DEGENERATE. He lived in function and was dominated by king alcohol. I helped a lot of people, with these problems, also drug addicts. The problem is that alcohol is a social drug, and people addicted to alcohol!!! = horrible. More than once I saw RICH people ending under a bridge, being homeless, kicked out of their big luxe houses, by their spouses. This is a typical story, nobody helps or cares about these people, BECAUSE ALCOHOL IS CONSIDERED AS A SOCIAL DRUG. Looking back, alcohol is even the worst drug.
About that Fender and Gibson, he asked 4000€, I gave him 5000€, knowing what he would do with that money. And thanks to a high ranked customer at the airport, I did some "golden business" Other guitars are
ACOUSTIC:
Martin D-1, a Martin D1-12, Martin D-15 (dark brown, mahagony), Martin HD-28 and a Martin D-45V.
What is in fact the difference between a D-45 and a D-45V???
ELECTRIC:
Burns 2x6, 2 GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM, SG, Flying V, and a Gibson LP Supreme (sold my Standard, but I regret it.) Epiphone Sheraton, Variax 700, PRS Custom 24 '1993), PRS EG serie, USA made, only in production from 1990-1992, and I don't see them on eBay, where I bought them. 3 Combinations, S-S-S (to compete with Fender), this one plays even a lot better, having 3 single coils, Lindy Fralin, domino shape, a stupid idea, Fender existing about 40 years. A S-S-H and a H-S-H. I agree, I am blessed to have and to play, such a collection, starting with my HD-28. I gave a lot of money to very good friends, realising their dream, a music store. Getting back the money is another story, so they paid me back with instruments. They didn't loose a lot, and I received guitars. Now, in my medical condition, I am happy with these guitars, so 2/3 of my collection started like this. Martin D45V, comes from GRUHN, and comparing the $$ versus €€you can buy a guitar in the USA, for an unbelievable price, being European. The price of a Martin D-45V is here 8000€ = 12000$, if you can afford it, it is worth to go to the States having your dream guitar, and enough money left for a BIG holiday.
I can only add: it all started stupid, a lot of people had fun, but their fun has gone, seeing the prices now.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]