Topic: HE STOOPID

Don't look at the title, it's just to have your attention.

What is this about?
---------------------
In fact quit simple, but also quit difficult to know, unless you have 5 times the same guitar.
I was playing a few minutes ago on an acoustic MARTIN D-1, probably their cheapest, AND this one had already a preamp on board. I prefer to play an acoustic guitar 100% pure, so no amps, but sometimes I play this using an amp. The small E string was broken, and still having a lot of, almost only Martin strings, I start to think about an acoustic guitar versus strings, after changing that string.
This Martin sounds a lot different than most Martins I have. Loud, clean, and maybe a little bit "metallic". I know that a lot of people ask what strings are the best. Well I don't know. This question is similar but also very different.
If you should have the opportunity to play the same guitar, but using different strings, like d'Addario or Martin, or even Gibson ACOUSTIC strings, all having the same size, will the result, the sound when you play be affected by the brand of strings you use? I have now a rich full sound, using these Martin strings (size 052" for the big E, followed by a 045"....) and the sound I can get using another brand, same size?
I usually prefer lighter strings.
I just wanted to know if there is a lot of difference, using different brands.
Thanks a lot

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: HE STOOPID

I've probably tried 15 different brands of strings on my acoustics, doc, and I think there is a considerable difference in sound. d'Addario's are too strong on the high-end for me...and from my experience wear out very quickly.  I played the Martin SP's for a while...then Blue Steel (think that's a Dean Markley product), then back to Martin's with the Eric Clapton Signature strings...I've been playing DR's for a while now--I like the 12's.  Nice even tone.  Seems to me most strings the high end will stick out like a sore thumb, or the bass end will boom to much.  The DR's are a nice even string.  I'm sure there are some musical terms that would say that better....but I don't know them.  DR has a coated string out now, which I might try.  I hate the feel of the Elixer strings (love how they sound though), even the nanoweb...maybe the DR's will feel different.

Forgive my ignorance. I have seen mention if silk and steel strings before and although I know that silk is a strong thread gathered from the cocoon of the silkworm I would not have thought it either strong or durable enough for use in the making of guitar strings.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I believe the fact that using a certain brand of strings, SAME SIZE (the strings on my Martin D-1, are pretty heavy.
As 25Frankster, I have a bunch of Martin guitars too. Except for the D-1, they all are here without preamps. Having these guitars is no option to compare, because they are all different.
I have a Martin D-1, a D-15 (beautiful and simple 100% mahagony) a D-1 12 string, HD-28 and top of the bill a Martin D-45V, I don't know the difference between a D-45, and a D-45V.
I have some Gibsons too. A GIBSON SJ-200 MONTANA GOLD (I AM OBSESSED TO COMPARE THIS GUITAR WITH AN EPIPHONE AJ-200), A GIBSON DOVE, and 2 HUMMINGBIRDS (also obsessed to compare them with an EPIPHONE. I know, I am blessed to have such a diversity, and to be able to collect these guitars. It's a pretty long story how I started my collection, but what played an important facor was the $ versus € using eBay. So I have now 2 points.
- different sound ACOUSTIC, using different brands.
- difference in sound between my Gibson collection compared to Epiphone, same guitars.
What I discovered is that you can find a lot on myspace and/or youtube.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]