Topic: beginner

just got an acoustic, no idea what I'm doing but would love to learn. any hints or tips would be great!! cheers!!

Re: beginner

pagie hang in there someone will point you in the right direction

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by ebigham1 2007-12-28 04:52:42)

Pagie,

First thing learn how to tune it. Learn a few chords. I would learn these major chords A B C D E G F then learn their minor counterparts ex. Am Bm Cm and so on. Learn how to play them clearly and quickly change between them. Then write down a list of songs you want to play.Look them up on here and pick the song with the least amount of chords in it and learn that one. This way it will keep your interest up. If you e-mail me what kind of music and an artist I probably point you to a song that is easy.

Tips -
1 Just because the song is fast does not mean you have to play it at the same speed. Sound quality is much more appreciated then quantity of songs you know sloppily.

2 Practice until your fingers start to hurt but no longer take a break and come back to it. It is better to practice 10 minuets a day then 30 minutes a day once a week.

3 If you can afford to take lessons do it. Just monitor your progression. If you are not improving your teacher is not teaching.

4 Learn theory. The circle of fifths, Chord and scale theory. It stinks to learn but will be very helpful later on.

5 Learn to read music. It is part of theory but you will become a professional. I have been playing for 20 years and still can't read music and I feel like an idiot when I have to say I can't read it.

There are many questions in the forum sections do a search for your question if you can't find it start a new post.

There is a place where on here all the chords are listed. If you can get a chart of them with how to fret then that will be very helpful.

One other thing! Just because you play an acoustic does not mean you can't look for help on the electric forums.

Good luck to you.

Edward

pagie wrote:

just got an acoustic, no idea what I'm doing but would love to learn. any hints or tips would be great!! cheers!!

hi and welcome to chordie and to the guitar learning.

There are a few places online that teach you how to play from scratch.
Chordie advertises one here called PLayjam  www.playjam.com
. there is a section here that tells you about it and reviews. It costs money though, but not as dear as an actual guitar tutor.
Also there are free sites online.

http://www.8notes.com/  this site is very good

and also

http://www.musicmoose.org/index.php?opt … ;Itemid=46

hope these help you.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Welcome too. This is the place to be, just look to the number of members. I think we are one of the fastest growing sites here, and it gets better if you know that the % of guitar players, compared to the rest, is not that high. How many people, on 100, will play an instrument? 5-10%? So as my friends here, told, you can learn more than you think.
I learned a lot since I became member, and remember: there are no stupid questions.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Dive in.  Cut yourself some slack.  Sing while you learn.   Keep it fun, but don't shy from the frustrating stuff.  You've got to slog through that stuff to get good with the more funnerer stuff. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Cheers for your advice!!! I'll be getting into it from today!! I'll let you know how I go!! Happy New Year to all!!

I am also a learner.  Bought the Guitar for Dummies book and have learned the following chords:

A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, G, F, A7, C7, D7, E7, G7

It astounded me how fast you can pick up the chords.  I just keep practicing them now so I can remember them by heart and trying to learn a few songs (which I am finding hard). 

My fingers hurt like mad at the beginning but are coming around now.  I dont know if I'll ever be any good at switching chords between songs but I enjoy trying and can spend hours at it.

I also bought an automatic tuner as not too good at tuning by ear.

cstrain - You will get good at switching chords.  It takes time and practice.  By practice, I mean switching chord to chord thousands of times, which sounds a lot worse than it is.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

can anyone recommend an easy song that is good for a beginner to learn

Knocking on Heaven's Door.  Just strum it.  Don't try and be Clapton.

Also, go to the Public Songbook section and search for Beginner's Songs.  There's a zillion of them.  I think the all time classic 'beginner's' song is Hank Williams Jambalaya.  Only two chords, C and G7.  And it's fun to play!

- Zurf

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Return To Sender - Elvis

Young Ones - Cliff Richard

Leaving On A Jet Plane - John Denver

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

CSTRAIN  I have same problem, learning the chords is easy, switching from chord to chord is harder. I am getting better but it sure seems a slow process. I will take Zurfs advice and practice them 1000's of times hope it works.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

Texan4ut, I do agree with you. I play since 30 years and what started as some fun, is now a passion.
Here is my timeline
- 30 years, an acoustic, with an electric element, I was convinced to become a "guitar god"
- in 1977, I was still a student, med school, for another 3 years, playing guitar dropped  to 5%
- Army, no guitar.
- Having a lot of work, a lousy guitar, and broken too, I played occasionaly
- 1990: a new start, buying a gibson LP studio, incredibly cheap, black, you could see your face reflected, golden hardware. 400$ right from a big boss, a very good friend, of the customs at the airport. Couldn't be sold because of some scratches, bought 2 of them and sold the other for 600$.
- Sold my Gibson studio, to buy a PRS Custom 24, an unknown guitar in 1996, except by some professionals, too expensive. That guitar was a 1993 PRS, and 6 months old, because the band splitted. PRS minus Gibson = 600$ to pay.
- 1995; first acoustic, a Martin HD-28 for 750$ from a junkie needing money
- the rest is history
I started to collect, and started to play more and more, today, I am able to play at least 50 different chords, and playing was FUN, and practice SWITCHING CHORDS.
If you know some chords, switch, switch and switch + learn more chords.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

am trying to play new songs. any suggestions on what song i should learn first?

Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater revival- 3 chords D G A
The joker by Steve Miller Band- also three chords, G C and D
The House of the Rising Sun is a popular one for beginners, you'll need to know Am C G D F  and E7

All You Need is Love smile

17 (edited by texan4ut 2008-01-09 22:17:21)

gitaardocphil wrote:

Texan4ut, I do agree with you. I play since 30 years and what started as some fun, is now a passion.
Here is my timeline
- 30 years, an acoustic, with an electric element, I was convinced to become a "guitar god"
- in 1977, I was still a student, med school, for another 3 years, playing guitar dropped  to 5%
- Army, no guitar.
- Having a lot of work, a lousy guitar, and broken too, I played occasionaly
- 1990: a new start, buying a gibson LP studio, incredibly cheap, black, you could see your face reflected, golden hardware. 400$ right from a big boss, a very good friend, of the customs at the airport. Couldn't be sold because of some scratches, bought 2 of them and sold the other for 600$.
- Sold my Gibson studio, to buy a PRS Custom 24, an unknown guitar in 1996, except by some professionals, too expensive. That guitar was a 1993 PRS, and 6 months old, because the band splitted. PRS minus Gibson = 600$ to pay.
- 1995; first acoustic, a Martin HD-28 for 750$ from a junkie needing money
- the rest is history
I started to collect, and started to play more and more, today, I am able to play at least 50 different chords, and playing was FUN, and practice SWITCHING CHORDS.
If you know some chords, switch, switch and switch + learn more chords.

gitaardocphil,

Thanks for the encouragement. I have only been at it a month and 1/2. Wish I would have started in 1977 when I was just out of school. Oh well I am going to learn. I know all the basic chords and 7th/minor variations. I am practicing switch chords and getting better. I also have been playing some barre chords to help build arm strength. Satan must have invented barre chords smile

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

For acoustic a really easy and simple song to learn would be country songs (if you like that genre of music) ... I learned a bunch of these songs when I first started playing ...

George Strait
Adilida - Open A, E, D chords w/capo 2nd Fret
Stars on the Water - Open G, Em chords w/capo 2nd Fret

Kenny Chesney
Please Come to Boston (little harder) - Open D, G, Em, A chords - Bm w/capo 2nd Fret

Eddie Rabbitt
Driving My Life Away - Open E, A, D, C#m, E7

Drivin N Cryin
Straight to Hell - Open G, D, C

4 Non Blondes
Whats Up - Open A, Bm (I use opn chord variation), D

Tom Petty
Free Fallin' - Open D, Dsus, Asus w/capo on 3rd Fret

Bob Segar
Accompany Me - Open A, D, E

Alot of these songs are real simple and easy to learn ... the best thing to learning strumming patterns is to go to the following site I mentioned in an earlier post

http://www.justinguitar.com/

That's where I learned strumming patters in one day (it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it)

Hope this helps!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I realy need help learning to play chords suck as B and F. I am learing the chords off an application on my phone and it doesn't explain how to play the chords just where to put yor fingers.

For those of you who know how to play B Bb F - the phone implies that I have to put my finger on more than 1 string but I don't have a clue how to do this in practice.

I'm sure it makes sense to anyone who has been shown how to play guitar - but unforunately I don't know anyone who can play guitar never mind teach guitar.

ni raibh an la fado nuair a bhi gach duine sa eire saor - ta an la ag teacht aris

Your Freudian slip is showing John.

B & F are called "barre chords" and they are the unseemly underbelly of guitar playing, I guess maybe unless you play electric.  You use your index finger like a bar across all six strings and finger the other notes with the fingers you've got left.  Basically you make a new nut (the white thingy at the top of the neck) by pressing all six strings down against a fret with your index finger.  For F, you press your index finger across all six strings at the first fret and for B and F#m you press your index finger on the second fret.  You can also do a G just like an F, except press at the third fret with your index finger. 

Do not expect to get it right in the first try.  Or even the week of trying.  It's taken me six months to get what I called in another thread "almost adequate".  Adequate will take a while longer and smooth is a pipe dream at this point. 

They are worth learning, though.  It just takes time.  Pick some songs with open chords to learn in the meanwhile.  Just be sure to practice barre chords every day just short of however long it takes you to get frustrated. 

Best of luck to you and your wonderful guitar tutoring phone.  That's a very cool sounding thing.

- Zurf

That does sound complex - I may find someone to show me because I don't want to learn it wrong.

The apllication is in hte Sony Ericisson W200i phone - But don't get the phone because of it!!!!

ni raibh an la fado nuair a bhi gach duine sa eire saor - ta an la ag teacht aris

i know how you feel sad