Topic: Recording King

Does anyone out there have any opinions on Recording King Guitars?  Thinking of buying one...., sounds nice, priced right around 300 bucks.

Re: Recording King

They're obviously quite new as I haven't found a review of any of their guitars over at Harmony Central. When you say 'sounds nice' do you mean their description or have you picked one up and played it. Own ears are always best.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I've had my eyes and ears on one that I bought yesterday.  I almost opted for a Takimne GS330S, same price range.  The Recording King apparently is owned by Johnson.  Their website has a fair amount of info on it.  Very warm sound that carries quite well.  Only problem is, when I'm at work, I can't play.  Thanks for the reply, and you're right.  Your ears can tell what your eyes can't see.

WHAT I FOUND, EASY TO CHECK: GOOGLE: RECORDING KING GUITARS
They have:
- CLASSIC SERIES with Abalone. solid Sitka spruce top, solid East Indian rosewood back and sides, fully scalloped forward-x bracing, a one-piece mahogany neck, a vintage-style bevelled pickguard and an ebony fretboard and vintage-style slot-through bridge. List: $899.99, probably the best, there are in this serie 3 others ABALONE, with a choice:  Solid mahagony   List Price: $699.99 and Solid rosewood: List Price: $799.99. Also SERIES I and II

CONTEMPORARY MODELS: SERIES II an I, price depending on wood choice.
- Solid mahagony back & sides = $699.99
- Solid Rosewood back and sides =  $849.99
This model features a solid AA Sitka spruce top, solid African mahogany or solid East Indian rosewood back and sides, fully scalloped forward-x bracing, a one-piece mahogany neck with a thin “C† profile, half moon tuners and an ebony fretboard and bridge.
Recording King is a division of The Music Link in the U.S.A., and a division of A.X.L. Corp. in international markets.
I hope you like this info, I was impressed, nice and decent looking guitars. Try to find them on youtube, a lot of guitars are found there, and you can HEAR them.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thanks for the reply, I did see all that info before buying.  Plus I took it off the wall and played for a few weeks at the store before purchasing.  I got one of the Classic Series, priced right around 300, very happy with it.

6 (edited by cytania 2008-01-17 16:02:05)

Just found out the history. Recording King was a US company in the 1930s, which disappeared into Gibson. Now the name's out of copyright the Chinese AXL company bought it up and spent $250,000 registering the name. They used to make guitars under the 'Johnson' name but must have realised 'Johnson' is what your ancient Aunt might politely choose to refer to a penis as!

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

For that reason alone, Johnson is a "big" name.  The acoustic I got sounds great.  I've only been playing for one year, but last night I played, and when I did a true comparison to the Fender that I first bought, no comparison.  I was blind (and deaf), to the sound I wasn't getting the whole time I was learning how to play for the first year.   I'm glad to say I've spent enough time with it where I think I learned two years of guitar in one year, so I'm glad I ran out and bought a new acoustic.  What my wife doesn't quite yet realize is, there'll be more comin'.  Mid life crisis can get expensive.