Topic: strumming tequila sunrise

i have been learning guitar since september and loving it but all my songs sound the same, i would like to start really concentrating on my strumming and have chosen tequila sunrise to start.  my first thought is does the strumming pattern stay the same throughout the song (for any song)   and can anyone provide strumming pattern for tequila sunrise??

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-08 06:36:36)

Re: strumming tequila sunrise

joy the strumming pattern is based on  strummimg up and down 8th notes you would count this as: 1&2&3&4& but there is more--some parts of the song the phrasing is trickey you might on one bar just strum once and hold for 4 beats this only comes in at (i cant tell you because i am not allowed to enter lyrics) certain lyrics i know this is hard to understand but i am limited on line to explain just so much,you might concider talking to a teacher in a music store and ask for a few lessons you need to understand the basics and theres no easy way to get this knowledge other then methodic practice period!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by texan4ut 2008-01-08 17:47:38)

joy123 wrote:

i have been learning guitar since september and loving it but all my songs sound the same, i would like to start really concentrating on my strumming and have chosen tequila sunrise to start.  my first thought is does the strumming pattern stay the same throughout the song (for any song)   and can anyone provide strumming pattern for tequila sunrise??

joy123,

I have been playing only since the middle of November. I am trying to learn tequila surise too. I am not sure of the stumming either. I was supposed to have a music lesson yesterday but the instructor was ill. I will be going next Monday. I will get him to show me strumming will post when I can. In the meantime if you come up with something post it as will I.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

joy123 wrote:

joy123,

I went to YouTube and typed in Tequila Sunrise in the search window. It brought up several vidos on strumming the song. Good Luck

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I've been playing Taquila Sunrise for a while now, and it's a pretty steady strum pattern.  The reason why it sounds quicker is because of one switching the root note from 5th string 2rd fret to 4th string 2nd fret in the bar.  This switch keeps the rhythm steady throughout.  I also remember watching Glenn Frey adding a quick double strum to a few parts of the song.  But, it's not required. 

If you're watching You Tube, try to finding the Hell Freezes Over version.  You can see Glenn's hand pretty clearly on how he switches during the song.  Good luck!

Russell_Harding wrote:

joy the strumming pattern is based on  strummimg up and down 8th notes you would count this as: 1&2&3&4& but there is more--some parts of the song the phrasing is trickey you might on one bar just strum once and hold for 4 beats this only comes in at (i cant tell you because i am not allowed to enter lyrics) certain lyrics i know this is hard to understand but i am limited on line to explain just so much,you might concider talking to a teacher in a music store and ask for a few lessons you need to understand the basics and theres no easy way to get this knowledge other then methodic practice period!

The way I strum it is DDUUDU. But there is no right way to strum anything. Just strum it the way you feel. Also change up the strumming on songs. Experiment using different techniques. This way later on after you played the song a million times you wont get bored of it. Plus you will get your strumming tight.

Edward

how is watching "glenn's hand" going to teach joy the basics of music? if you understand the basics  you wont need to watch anyone's hand, most strumming patterns are laid out systematacally in easy to understand formats in addition to time,note value,scale construction and a great deal more that is why i suggested taking lessons because in the long run(another Eagles song)it will provide a greater benifit>

Kahuna wrote:

I've been playing Taquila Sunrise for a while now, and it's a pretty steady strum pattern.  The reason why it sounds quicker is because of one switching the root note from 5th string 2rd fret to 4th string 2nd fret in the bar.  This switch keeps the rhythm steady throughout.  I also remember watching Glenn Frey adding a quick double strum to a few parts of the song.  But, it's not required. 

If you're watching You Tube, try to finding the Hell Freezes Over version.  You can see Glenn's hand pretty clearly on how he switches during the song.  Good luck!

Russell_Harding wrote:

just listen and you will hear the quick double strum,  its a great campfire tune as all eagles tunes are..my problem is making those darn barre chords, got some short fat fingers..

Russell,

I guess I should have been more clear on which of Glenn Frey's hands to look at.  My suggestion was to watch his left hand, when he alternates string within each measure.  The strumming part is pretty steady throughout with a few quick double strums around the Am to D transition.  Yes, there is no set rules here.  Just play to what sounds good to you.

=============
how is watching "glenn's hand" going to teach joy the basics of music? if you understand the basics  you wont need to watch anyone's hand, most strumming patterns are laid out systematacally in easy to understand formats in addition to time,note value,scale construction and a great deal more that is why i suggested taking lessons because in the long run(another Eagles song)it will provide a greater benifit>
============

gtar,

Yes, barre chords are a pain, but they are necessary in some songs.  Chords like Bm, Bb, and B, are common for transitions.  No need to worry about your fingers.  With practice, you'll be great.

gtar466 wrote:

just listen and you will hear the quick double strum,  its a great campfire tune as all eagles tunes are..my problem is making those darn barre chords, got some short fat fingers..

11 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-09 19:53:54)

Kahuna I lived on oahu and maui is this where your from? i know the phrase "Big Kahuna" means someone who is in charge but regarding your statement i agree that its left to interpretation how you phrase any song so you were correct in saying what you did about Glen Frey's hand posistion but i am used to playing the lead guitar but i still have to play rythem at some point in a song i think its like apples and oranges when it comes to how you phrase any song and as long as the audence is happy thats all that counts have a good one kahuna russell

Hi Joy, I hope this helps you, with your tequila sunrise.

The correct strumming pattern, and I play bass strumming on my guitar to this song is:

1,2,&,3,&&,4,&,1,2,& etc

You play the 3 beat which is down,  and then up, then down but do not make contact with any strings then up, hence the && then down and so on. In effect your missing a beat when your counting. Tap you foot, or clap is what I do.

This pattern is what gives the song its distinctive sound, in reality its just a simple shuffle. And this pattern is the CORRECT one.

Good luck with your guitar playing.

P Macca(Liverpool)

Hey Russel ... when did you live on Oahu?  I lived there from 2002-2006

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75