Topic: Why do some people break more strings than others

broke a string today

I was tuning the high E and it broke _ it had probably become flat and tuning it up was the last straw

but I don't think I've ever broken one while playing.

How come Rock Stars are always breaking strings on stage.

How often do you break a string while playing ?

perhaps I don't hit my strings hard enough. perhaps I should get mean. give those strings a proper thrashing. grrrrrr

Re: Why do some people break more strings than others

it depends sometime how old the strings are and how hard you bend them every guitarist including myself has broken many strings,im speaking about professional musicians who play for a living be it recording or concerts,clubs ect..........

"Growing old is not for sissies"

With electric there's always the temptation to play harder and wilder to make more noise and be more expressive. Most of the time it won't work, in fact the trick is to find an amp setting that makes a soft touch sound BIG. I broke a string the first week I had an electric. Cause - a guitar group session of Johnny B Goode, I got carried away and over-played. Ultra-light strings is the root cause but watch out for simply going up a few gauges you may alter intonation beyond what your bridge can manage.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Some are built for comfort some are built for speed. When you young your hard and fast (playing) as you get older you ger low & slow and become a finess player. You only play hard & fast when you have to and slow to make it last.

Bootlegger

2 things factor greatly with me as far as breaking strings go;
1) If my picks are getting worn down and have snags in them, the pick will catch on the string, thus eventually causing the string(s) to break before their time. Keep a close eye on your picks. Toss them when they start to show signs of wear.
2) If I am playing in a humid environment my strings have a tendency to break much more often than playing in a non-humid or climate controlled enviroment. Keep your strings wiped down as often as you can and place your instrument in it's case (closed) while on break.

I wouldn't be too upset that you're not breaking strings while playing. Most of the time when one breaks a string one's instrument goes awfully out of tune.(mine do at least) Some people, like Stevie Ray Vaughan, can break a string and make it look cool. SRV used such thick strings that when one broke the rest were tight enough to prevent his guitar from sounding so out of tune. Most people lack the prowess SRV had and most peoples instrument's sound like poo-poo when a string goes pop-pop.......

Give everything but up.