Topic: Finger calluses

My girlfriend complains about my chord fingers that are always callused. Im not a complete novice with the guitar, but the tips of my chord fingers remain raw and rough. Any suggestions?

Re: Finger calluses

keep playing guitar get another girlfriend

"Growing old is not for sissies"

lol BRAVO ... well said Russell!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Dirrerent strokes for different folks. Have you tried using the other hand?

Nela

DPG,

What you can do to reduce the calluses is to use a wet file to remove some of the dead skin.  This will also allow your fingers to generate newer, tougher skin on your fingertips.  As you play more and more, the dead skin will ultimately get in the way, and you'll be either biting or filing them off.

You may want to, also, use moisturizer on your fingertips daily.  This will help keep your calluses a bit softer. 

If any of the above don't work, try Russell's suggestion!  Nonetheless, don't stop playing!

DPG wrote:

My girlfriend complains about my chord fingers that are always callused. Im not a complete novice with the guitar, but the tips of my chord fingers remain raw and rough. Any suggestions?

Hi DPG,

In the bedinning this feeling in my finger tips, nearly drove me nuts!   But i think your problem is more personal.

A small pumice stone cheap but effective. Use with water lightly!! I found a wet file just a wee bit  to rough.

The pumice  stone takes it down smoother with out losing all the time you spent building it up.

Russell Harding, I laughed so much at your reply!! I guess diplomacy isn't your middle name?

DPG just  may love this woman! lol

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

7 (edited by arkady 2008-01-17 23:10:25)

DPG
If the lady can't stand a bit of rough well ...........:D
it goes with the territory

Lena
Nothing stands in the way of russ and his guitars. lol

Ark

Holy Moley Arkady,

The mind boggles!! lol

Old Doll.

yup!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

indeed, get a new girlfriend/use the other hand.

but never let a woman come between you and your guitar! my ex-gf (we lived together) used to go mad at me for playing at night when it was "bedtime" (this didn't imply sex, mind you). That drove me nuts. And it was certainly one of the billion factors that made me break up with her and move out.

I find that my guitar is much better company tongue

LOL Fuji, it doesn't bitch at you as much does it?

Best woman quote I have heard in a long time if not ever was from Jeff Dunham.

"The wife rolled out of bed, jumped on her PMS cycle, and ran my ass OVER!"

Well said if you ask me!

A great way to "condition" your fingers for instant but smooth hardness - lick the fingertips them place them on the surface of a hot iron until you friggin can't stand it or they are well done!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

13 (edited by Old Doll 2008-02-01 09:25:40)

Twang town!

You cannot be serious?  For all the young kids on this site!

DO NOT DO THIS.

You just may damage all the nerve endings to your finger tips or even worse cause infection.

So many people around the world have type i diabetes, and are not aware of this. Burning the tips of your fingers

can lead to infection. If your a diabetic this can lead to bigger problems.

The immune system is affected when levels of glucose (blood sugar) rise above normal. As  a result, people with type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes or other forms of diabetes are at an increased risk for developing an infection. Once a person with diabetes has developed an infection, the body is less capable of fighting it off because high glucose levels interfere with the normal action of white blood cells.

Believe me this is no joke. I watched my Sister in law for 3 years waiting on a liver transplant because of undetected

Diabetes..

If at my age my fingers could develop calluses, then so can everyone elses.  PRACTISE PRACTISE AND MORE PRACTISE.

Old Doll.

what is it with women who object to guys playing?  my EX-wife -- a music hater -- used to think i practiced my guitar and my trumpet just to aggravate her.  she's gone now, and i'm a better, happier musician. (my new girlfriend loves to hear me play).

I would love a BF who plays the guitar!!! Never let it be said that all chicks are music haters. I have a similar problem, i play both accoustic and electric guitar and i am driving my father absolutley banana sandwiches! we have all tile floors at my house, and let me tell you something, they sure do make those guitars sound loud at three in the morning. Not to mention that I can bounce light onto the ceiling with my fingertips. So DPG, I know how you feel. Just tell her to deal with it, because like arkady said "It goes with the territory."

MrsJoePerry wrote:

I would love a BF who plays the guitar!!! Never let it be said that all chicks are music haters. I have a similar problem, i play both accoustic and electric guitar and i am driving my father absolutley banana sandwiches! we have all tile floors at my house, and let me tell you something, they sure do make those guitars sound loud at three in the morning. Not to mention that I can bounce light onto the ceiling with my fingertips. So DPG, I know how you feel. Just tell her to deal with it, because like arkady said "It goes with the territory."

2 questions;
What is  a BF ?
And  how do you bounce light onto the ceiling with your fingertips ?

Give everything but up.

Bf=boyfriend
and her fingers are so shiney callused that it reflects light a very serious problem.  all the girls i have dated have admired my nimble fingers and i have never heard a complaint of roughness.

GET A NEW GIRL

So Red Delicious

NELA wrote:

...Have you tried using the other hand?

Nela

I can't play guitar left-handed.

bummer.

Just play

Wasn't typing about using the other hand to play the guitar.

Nela

I agree with russell_harding. She needs too understand your passion for playing. You need too let her know now you will probley have those finger tips like that the rest of yor life.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I know, Nela.  I was making a feeble attempt at comedy. smile

Just play

I GOTTA GO FIND A DIFFERENT TOPIC TO LOOK AT .
  I don't want to hear anymore about burning our fingertips.........And I don't want to know what oldnewbie
is supposed to use his other hand for ...............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

picking calluses, of course... smile

Just play

123...  EW!!!

:o____"SHOOT FOR THE MOON, EVEN IF YOU MISS YOU WILL LAND AMONGST THE STARS"____o:

NELA wrote:

Dirrerent strokes for different folks. Have you tried using the other hand?

Nela

lol. What he said.