Topic: Acoustic feedback

Howdy,
I often get feedback from the base strings on my tanglewood acoustic guitar when gigging, and have to turn down base on the amp ( or guitar equalizer ) which loses the nice rich sound..i have notch and frequency controls on the guitar equalizer and understand these should be used to rid the problem..HOW??
It only happens in smaller venues where i am close to (but behind!) the speakers..

Re: Acoustic feedback

Pat,

If you have a guitar with normal sound hole, you can get one of those round rubber plug to close the hole.  This will help reduce/eliminate feedback from your amp.  Also, what volume level are you using on your guitar?  I would suggest a mid way point, and then compensate more at the amplifier.

patbolger wrote:

Howdy,
I often get feedback from the base strings on my tanglewood acoustic guitar when gigging, and have to turn down base on the amp ( or guitar equalizer ) which loses the nice rich sound..i have notch and frequency controls on the guitar equalizer and understand these should be used to rid the problem..HOW??
It only happens in smaller venues where i am close to (but behind!) the speakers..

Hey Pat,
I can empathize with you on this one. I'm a 24 year veteran of the live music scene and I, like you play mostly acoustic guitar for me live gigs. Many factors come into play when assessing feedback issues. Flooring (concrete,wood,terra firma,etc), ceeling height, room space, microphone trajectory, other musicians sound frequency waves, etc. I could go on all day, been there done that too many times to count. The best investment for me personally to elimate or greatly reduce feedback issues with my guitar without sacrificing that "sweet, ideal sound" is, ready?, drum roll please, a Boss GE 7 Equalizer. It's a 7 band EQ foot pedal.  I usually have to adjust the lower bands a notch or two and my feedback is gone and my sound I like is still there. I actually have 2 of them . I run one continous and the other I have set up in a Vee formation for a nice clean boosty jazzy sound that I stomp during my solos. It works for me..............................Good luck

Give everything but up.

I've got some crazy feedback going on with my acoustic plugged in... when i turn it up my G string vibrates uncontrollably... get your mind out of the gutter!

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix