Topic: WHY HAS A GUITAR 6 STRINGS

Again a strange topic. Why has an acoustic guitar 6 strings?
- 12 strings no problem.
I noticed here on chordie the name of a guy named "seasick steve"who plays a guitar with 3 strings. I've downloaded some songs LEGAL!!, I paid for it and have an amazing song collection  like the The Billboard Top 100. THESE SERIES ARE A REAL REVELATION, about 4000 songs, and 50% of the songs, bands or performers, I never heard of them, like Tommy James and the Shondells: 1 song CRIMSON AN CLOVER. This guy had to be quit popular. I met his name at least 8 times.
BACK TO THE STRINGS
- Some Electric guitars have 7 strings, used probably to play solo like Satriani and VAI, playing on an IBANEZ, I was even more surprised seeing this: an ESP FM408 LTD 8 String Electric Guitar.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE, BETTER, EXCEPT FOR PLAYING SOLOS WHAT IS THE RESULT STRUMMING The tuning and strings on a 7 String Rock are B  E  A  D  G  B     E.
On an 8 string Standard : F#  B  E  A  D  G  B  E. This belongs more in the electric forum, BUT IS THERE A FELLOW CHORDIAN WHO TRIED A 7 OR 8 STRING GUITAR?
- ACOUSTIC: the world famous 6 string acoustic guitars.
- ACOUSTIC: the world famous 12 string guitars
- ACOUSTIC:  HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Model, has 7 strings. Is the 7th string also an E?, like a 12-string acoustic, with 6 regular strings and an extra little E, to create a typical sound?
BECAUSE I ONLY FOUND THE MARTIN HD-7, I LOVED TO KNOW HOW YOU PLAY AN 8 STRING ELECTRIC. ARE THERE CHORDIANS WHO PLAYED SUCH A GUITAR?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHY HAS A GUITAR 6 STRINGS

doc string instruments come in all shapes sizes and number of strings and there is a reason for each,it could be pitch that would be my best guess i dont know why "seasick steve" plays only 3 strings it could be because he likes the ease of playing or he has only 3 fingers your question fits in the "why cant i see the wind or can god make a rock so heavey he cant lift it"catagory there is no definitive answer

"Growing old is not for sissies"

hi
all chords are three basic notes  sooo any more than three just increases the possiabilities for octives and tone just try any stringed instrument find the right notes and you have the chords
just for example the mandolin you can find simple two finger chords to play along but the full chords you need three extra fingers:<)
randy

always pickin someting

6 is a good number,  7 would make chords, especially bar chords much more difficult,  And thats the last thing I need.

Neco Case plays a tenor guitar with only 4 strings.

Rodger Mcguinn's guitar  doubles his G string one octave lower like a 12 string.

I knew about Roger(Byrd)Mcguinn. I 've played on this, it is DAMNED GOOD GUITAR!!. It's so strange to hear the major chord, and the g-chord sounds "delicious." Strumming here, that 7th string add something "extra" difficult to understand.
THE FAMOUS DJANGHO REINHARD: Born in BELGIUM, spent most of his youth in gypsy encampments. In a fire: fourth and fifth fingers of his left hand were badly burnt.
Django created a whole new fingering system built around the two fingers on his left hand that had full mobility.
His fourth and fifth digits of the left hand were permanently curled towards the palm due to the tendons shrinking from the heat He could use them on the first two strings of the guitar for chords and octaves but complete extension of these fingers was imp% believes that he had only 3 fingers+amputation NOT TRUE. His soloing was all done with the index and middle fingers! Isn't this an amazing story?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

6 (edited by mixter102 2008-01-30 19:34:45)

hey doc after you metiond him I had to get out my Django Cd,  he's playing right now.  didn't know he was Belgian.   

Have you heard of The "Presidents of the United States of America".  They recorded their first Cd  with two guitars, one strung with just three guitar strings, the other with just two bass strings.

7 (edited by 06sc500 2008-02-04 23:13:32)

Just curous, is the lowest string on a 7-sting a low B?

Edit-never mind, I didn't read all of the topic.  It is a low B.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I have counted the fingers on my left hand, I come up with four, plus a thumb.

I am still trying to figure out why they EVER put more than four strings on any instrument!

smile

STUPID barre chords.

Just play