Re: Best alternative and punk band

Megs
if you can give these bands and album a listen

Stiff little fingers..... nobody's hero
the clash.................london's burning
the alarm................declaration
skids......................days in europa

ok when you have heard these report back and I will give you another 4.

Also, not my sort of thing but I saw " less than jake" when they played with "Drop kick Murphys" they seem to be a band that younger people seem to be into.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The Jam - not sure if really alt/punk though.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

28 (edited by selso 2009-07-04 15:02:25)

Subhumans, Suicidal Tendencies, Circle Jerks, and last but not least the Nobodys from Colorado Springs Colorado. Use to go school with the guitar players brother. Do the Pouges count as punk rock?

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

The Jam were classing themselves as punk when they first started, so "in the city" album would be a punk album. After that Paul decided they were mods. No difference really apart from the way they dressed.

The pogues I think are classed as Punk folk, or folk punk. So yeah I would say they are punk. And I should have mentioned them too for megs to listen to. Any "best of" would do.

Ken

30 (edited by selso 2009-07-05 00:59:51)

upyerkilt wrote:

The pogues I think are classed as Punk folk, or folk punk. So yeah I would say they are punk. And I should have mentioned them too for megs to listen to. Any "best of" would do.

Ken

I just bought " Rum, Sodomy and the Lash". Brilliant.

Reverend Horton Heat

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Upon their initial emergence, Green Day was about as punk as they come. Their commercial success however softened them and now they have a guitar player and a keyboardist performing with the original 3, unseen behind or under the stage. Pretty un-punk if you ask me. You want punk? Listen to the New York Dolls, early Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, Ramones, and best of all-time (IMO) The Sex Pistols!

agree completely

i may only be 14 but i love green days 90-97 stuff,

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar

Surely bands should be aloud to evolve and try new directions now and then. As for hiding extra band members - that's just nuts!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

upyerkilt wrote:

Megs
if you can give these bands and album a listen

Stiff little fingers..... nobody's hero
the clash.................london's burning
the alarm................declaration
skids......................days in europa

ok when you have heard these report back and I will give you another 4.

Also, not my sort of thing but I saw " less than jake" when they played with "Drop kick Murphys" they seem to be a band that younger people seem to be into.

Ken

i limewired a load of the clash, stiff little fingers, sex pistols, ramoanes and rancid. it is really cool. can anyone suggest any more?

34 (edited by selso 2009-07-06 15:35:28)

Early Rancid, Minor threat, Bad Brains. Total Chaos, Fugazi, The exploited, Johnny Thunders, Sham 69,  The Deadmilkmen, 7 seconds, the cromags, they inspired metallica, The Meatmen. Agent Orange.
Wow this brings back memories. I really suggest the Subhumans, the British band not the Canadians, speaking of Canadians Nomeansno
That's just a few I can remember

Reverend Horton Heat

megs1995 wrote:

i limewired a load of the clash, stiff little fingers, sex pistols, ramoanes and rancid. it is really cool. can anyone suggest any more?

Not something I'd admit to on the web....(Or approve of period for that matter)    Kinda like posting an ad in a newspaper saying look at what I've just stolen.....   Support the artist and BUY the album!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

All, Descendants, Bad Brains, Bad Religion, Beastie Boys, (Yes, those Beastie Boys. They were punk before rap.), Blink 182, Circle Jerks, Civ, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, D.R.I., Distillers, Everclear, Fugazi, Green Day, Hives, Hole, Husker Du, Iggy Pop, Janes Addiction, Lit, The Living End, Velvet Underground, MC5, Minor Threat, Misfits, MXPX, My Chemical Romance, New Bomb Turks, New Found Glory, New York Dolls, NOFX, Offspring, Pennywise, Rage Against the Machine, RAMONES, Rancid, Replacements, Sex Pistols, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Soundgarden, Stooges, Sum 41, T.S.O.L., White Stripes, White Zombie, The Who. At Least thats whats on my Ipod. I guess some could be debated on the validity of said punkness, but thats what punk rockers have been doing from the start. Ramones are my favorite though. Lucky enough to see them live three times.

Punk rock rocks! 92.6% of these inciteful musicians stray away  from the #1 cause of conflict in the universe; religion. The other 7.4% of the dang-bangers bedevil those who have fallen prey to the subterfuge.....

Give everything but up.

The Asian Goat Project

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Upon their initial emergence, Green Day was about as punk as they come. Their commercial success however softened them and now they have a guitar player and a keyboardist performing with the original 3, unseen behind or under the stage. Pretty un-punk if you ask me. You want punk? Listen to the New York Dolls, early Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, Ramones, and best of all-time (IMO) The Sex Pistols!

Saw the new york dolls at higher ground!! freakin awsome show

I don't have a good quote so I'm quoting myself... ok I'm done

craig23 wrote:

All, Descendants, Bad Brains, Bad Religion, Beastie Boys, (Yes, those Beastie Boys. They were punk before rap.), Blink 182, Circle Jerks, Civ, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, D.R.I., Distillers, Everclear, Fugazi, Green Day, Hives, Hole, Husker Du, Iggy Pop, Janes Addiction, Lit, The Living End, Velvet Underground, MC5, Minor Threat, Misfits, MXPX, My Chemical Romance, New Bomb Turks, New Found Glory, New York Dolls, NOFX, Offspring, Pennywise, Rage Against the Machine, RAMONES, Rancid, Replacements, Sex Pistols, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Soundgarden, Stooges, Sum 41, T.S.O.L., White Stripes, White Zombie, The Who. At Least thats whats on my Ipod. I guess some could be debated on the validity of said punkness, but thats what punk rockers have been doing from the start. Ramones are my favorite though. Lucky enough to see them live three times.

all those great bands of punk and no Stiff little fingers? what are you all about man?

lol

Ken

Guttermouth.

And since when is Greenday punk?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

From just around the corner - Stiff Little Fingers, the Undertones,  and no-one seems to have mentioned "Therapy?"

If you are googling Therapy? keep the "?" in place - it's part of the name.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Youtube Dresden Dolls singing "Sing". If you like alt/punk/scene girls this song is panty dropper deluxe.

Upyerkilt, I had never heard of Stiff Little Fingers until I started reading this forum. I live in a smallish mid western city (St. Louis) and there isn't really any "scene" to speak of. So finding a new good band is like winning the lottery. The punk bands I do like are collected from about 25 years of scrounging for anything remotely punk related. The internet has really changed the way bands are found for me these days. I will definitely be checking Stiff Little Fingers out, especially after coming so highly regarded from so many members of the forum.

craig23 wrote:

Upyerkilt, I had never heard of Stiff Little Fingers until I started reading this forum. I live in a smallish mid western city (St. Louis) and there isn't really any "scene" to speak of. So finding a new good band is like winning the lottery. The punk bands I do like are collected from about 25 years of scrounging for anything remotely punk related. The internet has really changed the way bands are found for me these days. I will definitely be checking Stiff Little Fingers out, especially after coming so highly regarded from so many members of the forum.

I luv them Craig.
If you like live music then they have an album called "HANX" or their album " ALL THE BEST" which is a compilation.
I love all their stuff though. 1st album they done was inflamable material. their latest "GUITAR AND DRUM"

I am pretty sure there is stuff on youtube of them

Ken

jerome.oneil wrote:

Guttermouth.

And since when is Greenday punk?

green day started out as punk
have a listen to their '90 album 1039/smoothed out slappy hour

great punk bands