Topic: Lucky Me!!!!!!!!

Went and visited an old friend today that I haven't seen in about 30 years. This guy in well into his 70's and is a old time honkytonk musican. During our visit we got around to talking music and he said he hasn't played much since he lost his wife (1993) but had been thinking about starting back and wanted someone he could play guitar with. Jonh used to play in a band that played beer joints & hontytonks - this was country "dancehall music". He played back when the stage was behind chicken wire so that when the fights broke out the players wouldn't get hit with thrown beer bottles. He said that when the fights broke out the band just played louder and faster which helped end the fights. He said he had seen more blood and guts spilt than a lotta doctors.

ANYWAY - as we were talking about helping each other in our guitar playing, John brought out one of his guitars  - A 1955 GIBSON 235 BOUGHT BRAND NEW IN 1958. THEN HE PLUGED IT INTO A LITTLE OLD 1961 FENDER 100 WATT AMP THAT WAS BOUGHT NEW THAT SAME YEAR. I was almost afraid to play this guitar - BUT I DID - and it was SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!! Now not only do I have someone to play music with but I've been told that can play the GIBSON, too.

Nela

Re: Lucky Me!!!!!!!!

Wow NELA - That is a GREAT story! would love to hear or see some clips of those jams on youtube my friend.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

NELA -that's what you get for visiting friends from the past!
My story isn't quite as moving as yours, but here it is anyway: I traveled on business to Germany just before X-mas and brought home a magazine for musicians. Didn't have time to read it until Christmas day. As I was arriving on page 50 or so, there is an ad for an acoustic guitar, and the photo of an endorser: It's a girl I had my eyes on in 1980! Eyes on, not hands on, because back then she was only 15. I taught this kid to play the guitar, and when I wasn't looking, she constantly "borrowed" mine. Today she's one of Europe's top jazz vocalists and performers -she plays a Gibson ES335 and has recorded with people like Pat Metheney.

The former "kid" still looks as gorgeous as ever and has a voice to die for. Her guitar playing is way better than mine. That's what an old man gets for being nice to young girls. Play on!

Thats pretty awsome.