Topic: Take a seat?

Here’s a goofy question.  I’m teaching myself to play so I try to be wary of some of the things I may be doing wrong that will cause me problems down the road.  So I’m working on posture etc.  I got a piece of advice on playing with my guitar on my left knee.  That worked great because it raised the neck a bit, flattened my left wrist and badda-bing I could do an F chord and could Barre down the fret board.  BUT, I’m just sitting on a kitchen chair.  It feels low, I have no place to put my foot to lift it, and I end up slouching back in the chair.  I usually see musicians sitting on stools but in checking Musician’s Friend I see some are 24† some are 30†, some swivel, I don’t see any that go up and down.  Any recommendations, types. brands, where to buy, etc.?  Thanks!

Yee Haw

Re: Take a seat?

Just a suggestion Ranger. Why not use a strap and let that hold the guitar the the required height - a whole lot cheaper than a new stool.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I developed a really bad posture from playing on the sofa for years. That's great that you're thinking about it now. It's too late for me. I play best on a stool (with foot rests) or a sofa/chair; standing with a strap, I'm not nearly as good but I'm working on it!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

I developed a really bad posture from playing on the sofa for years. That's great that you're thinking about it now. It's too late for me. I play best on a stool (with foot rests) or a sofa/chair; standing with a strap, I'm not nearly as good but I'm working on it!!!

Come on brother, it's NEVER too late!  I was learning to play on my sofa also for the first 2 months or so.  Luckily wifey scolded me and for once it was worth while.  Sitting properly changed the angles of my wrist and fingers and that set me back a while but eventually I adjusted.  I used a strap before, maybe I'll try it again.  But I found that I got lazy with it and slouched more.  I ended up taking off because without it I sat more upright.

Yee Haw

Roger Guppy wrote:

Just a suggestion Ranger. Why not use a strap and let that hold the guitar the the required height - a whole lot cheaper than a new stool.

Roger

Well, there are a couple of reasons that I didn't list for wanting some type of seat/stool.  First I have sheet music on the left, sheet music on right, a ligth here the remote there, the TV over there....so the idea of swiveling has a lot of appeal.  Also, my butt gets sore!  There I said it!  Sitting on a hard chair hurts my little buttocks! (and I hate those stupid tie on cushions!).  Finally getting up a little bit (I think that's why I prefer the 30" stool0, lowers (straightens the angle between the leg and the floor) a little.  I'm not tall but I have some low back issues so getting the ergonomics right is important.  I do like the barstool suggestions though, I may be able to find one at a garage sale or something.  Maybe one of those goofy spinning padded ones from the 70's might do the trick and I could get it cheap!  Keep the ideas coming!

Yee Haw

I got a suggestion to look at drum "thrones".  Not a term with which I was familiar but it is giving my some good ideas.  I'm thinking get something cheap and then test out some more expensive ones before I go high end!

Yee Haw

After playing for 40 years standing up -gig and practice alike, I now play sitting on a tall swivel barstool ($15 at Tractor Supply) during practice. The height of the stool depends on the length of your own legs -tall player: tall stool. For gigs with our bluesband, I have a folding stool from Walmart (also $15) on which I occasionally take a brief rest -but mostly I'm standing up, it just makes for a better band appearance.

Drum thrones are cool and comfortable, but they are hardly ever tall enough. The swivel feature is a must if you play with others. You do have to turn  occasionally to adjust the amp, or whatever. Personally I think that sitting during a performance is only for solo/acoustic gigs. If everyone in the band must sit down for health reasons, you're probably too old for rock'n roll...

8 (edited by Ranger1964 2008-02-03 14:37:40)

I was at a furniture store and asked to see some stools, (short version) he gave me one free.  It's about 24", has a swivel top.  I can put either leg up but have been playing with he gutar on my left knee.  The rung that I put my foot on is just a little too high but I can use it for now.  AND I put my strap on.  Now I have the best of both worlds.  I have the strap adjusted perfectly so it is just a minor change to straighten up and let the strap carry the load or just drop the guitar a bit and let it rest on my knee.  I appreciate the advice.  There is also a throne for sale on the back cover of the Musician's Friend catalogue that just came.  Regular $129, now $59.  I may need to check that out also.

oops it's on page 102 and goes from 20 1/2 in to 28 in but doesn't look like it hs a place for a raised foot.  May not work.  Damn drummers!! lol

Yee Haw