Topic: will a floyd rose trem fit on a strat?

I know almost every strat comes with a trem, but is the tremolo cavity a universal size/fit? for example, could you put a floyd rose licensed trem onto a strat successfully? I got a strat but do not like the trem and want to replace it it with maybe a floyd rose but i do not know if it is possible. hmm

Re: will a floyd rose trem fit on a strat?

That would definitely be an upgrade... but you're gonna have to router out a larger cavity on your strat and probably replace the nut with a locking nut. It is very possible to do but you may not want to cut up your guitar.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

I just got a MIM strat a few days ago, first guitar. I put the bar and and hit it ever so lightly, and bamm OUT OF TUNE. LOL so I wont be using that anytime soon. Other than that LOVE the guitar!

Hi guys ,
   Over the years I've had one or two guitars with Bigsbys on them and I've come to the conclusion that there's nothing like a Gibson style stop tailpiece for stayintuneitiveness ( isn't that a word ? ) Anyway my little bro had a fender strat a few years ago that had the F.R. trem factory installed on it and I don't remember a jam where he was'nt cussing that thing . He got rid of it before resorting to the stop block that you can buy for them . But then , what's the point ???

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Hi folks, I have three guitars with Bigsby's, and five Strats with factory trems. I love those Bigsby's and even wear a Bigsby T-shirt...
The initial question from rockin gecko was if a Floyd-Rose would fit in a Strat. My answer is NO. But... of course if you route the Strat tremolo cavity you might be able to do just that. KAHLER makes a vibrato very similar to the Floyd-Rose, that does fit a Strat without routing. It's about $170 at http://www.wammiworld.com

Both the Bigsby and the original Fender tremolos easily throw a guitar out of tune, that's why I'm only using them sparingly. But don't they just look great on a guitar? The Bigsby really dresses up an otherwise simple guitar and also provides a nice touch to your playing. Just don't bend that thing alll the way down, for gods sake... If you have to, then you really need a Floyd-Rose or a Kahler. Keep in mind that these usually require a locking nut as well, so the string can't "go anywhere" -out of tune for example.

Play on!

rockin gecko wrote:

I know almost every strat comes with a trem, but is the tremolo cavity a universal size/fit? for example, could you put a floyd rose licensed trem onto a strat successfully? I got a strat but do not like the trem and want to replace it it with maybe a floyd rose but i do not know if it is possible. hmm

You have to reroute the trem cavity to fit the floyd and shim your floyd to the radius of your neck.  Fenders are usually have a 9.5 deg. and the floyds I believe are 12 degree.

Bootlegger.