Topic: SUPERBOWL+US SPORTS

I post this topic here, because this is almost a "HOLIDAY"and a "SPECTACULAR SHOW TOO".
Where started the tradition to ask a POPULAR band or PERFORMER, to play and sing?
What is the function of CHEERLEADERS, from European side, it's a little bit ridiculous?
MOST AMERICAN SPORTS, LIKE FOOTBALL, WHY ARE THEY SO AGGRESSIVE?
This again an entirely different world compared to Europe.
Also the sports having their roots here.
- RUGBY ===> AMERICAN FOOTBALL
- CRICKET ==> BASEBALL
- BASKETBALL
- FORMULA I RACES ==> CHAMP CAR or INDY CAR
- ICE HOCKEY (Why so much violence?)
- So which is the MOST POPULAR SPORT?
- WHICH ARE THE BEST PAID SPORT MEN?
AGAIN A CULTURE CLASH IN THE US VERSUS EUROPE. I have it really difficult to understand, like all the movements, signs, spitting.. in Baseball + performance of famous artists & cheerleaders

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: SUPERBOWL+US SPORTS

Hi Doc,
The Super Bowl is a marketing bonanza - lots of hoopla and glitz surrounding an event where very large men dress up in colorful matching costumes, then they chase each other and roll around on the ground together.  Afterwards, they all shower together.

During regular football games (high school, college, and professional) there is always a halftime show.  Marching bands from the competing schools put on a show.  Each band takes the field (separately) and plays a couple of tunes while marching and forming different patterns.  When the bands are not on the field, they are in the stands and typically play music to entertain the fans.

At high school and college games these half time shows can be quite elaborate.  At most professional football games, local bands are invited to strut their stuff.  It is an honor for these groups to be invited to perform.

The tradition of marching bands at football games is an American cultural fixture.  Cheerleaders are also a tradition.  Some claim that the cheerleaders are also athletes - but I would question that claim.  High schools and colleges have always had cheerleading squads - some squads also include males (usually big guys who can lift the females).

At most schools getting on the cheerleading squad is highly competitive.  There are also 'dance teams' or 'pom squads' that accompany the marching bands.  Also, there are baton twirlers who perform with the bands.  Sometimes marching bands also have 'flag teams' who perform.

You can probably see tons of marching band video on YouTube.  You can also see 'Drum & Buble Corps' video.  These D&B Corps are usually private organizations that design and execute very elaborate routines.  D&B Corps are a very competitive hobby that some people are very passionate about.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Here is a link to the Stanford University marching band's notorious 'Spotted Owl' half time show at the University of Oregon.  The Stanford band is known for the zany antics and satirical themes of their shows.

They are perhaps the guerilla theater troupe in the world . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hKhNSR9AWE&NR=1
Read the full commentary for the video for more background.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

to guitaardocphil: if you watch older football games (american of course) they weren't nearly as violent. It's like with all sports nowadays, it's deteriorated into it's current form. An example, the Pittsburgh Steelers team from the 70's is a classic team, they played with a lot of pride and respect for the game. All of my older friends (35 years and older) say they can't stand to watch NFL Football anymore, as it's been turned into a gladiator sport, with more emphasis put on big hits and bone crushing tackles than on the actual game itself.

Now, about cheerleaders, I ask you this: Who doesn't like pretty girls in short skirts? 'nuff said

WELL friends, we are on our way again to compare the USA versus EUROPE. I think that everybody know now that I LOVE THE USA. I should have lived there today. Car crash: September 2000 ==> 10 months inactive ==> A new start in July 2001==> STOP: November 2004. My left foot was broken in 32 pieces, Surgery to fix the foot with the intention to "block" my foot in a 90° position, HOPING to be better. Before, you could hear me from a certain distance, caused by the noise coming from the sequels. The intervention was a 100% success, but 1 thing was overlooked: my back and the paralysis of several muscles left. I, REALLY FOR FILLED WITH HOPE and STRENGTH, wrote a CV to "carnival cruise lines", every single friend told me that they never would accept me. I met the Manager for recruiting on Valentine's day and he accepted me + a wonderful title: Medical Doctor Captain Senior Officer. Unfortunately they had the right to contact my treating Surgeons. RESULT: ZIP, NADA, NOTHING. The most awful period in my life + a real heavy shock, and a confrontation with my problems. If I should been accepted It would be a catastrophe. Sitting on the floor treating a cardiac arrest, they need 3 people to help me standing up + when trying to walk with NO POWER left: out of balance and falling. RESULT: a claim against me and the Cruise line. It took me very long to get over it: MY CHILD DREAM.
Sorry for this story, it was more to prove my affection with the USA. That's why I love the USA, and why I love the US versus EUROPE. Cheerleaders athletes? yes and no. I read that it is a tradition and analysing that word it seems to "cheer up". Very slowly, it's starting here too.
WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND AT ALL ARE THE MOVEMENTS MADE IN BASEBALL, THE SPITTING. IS THIS A KIND OF CODE?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

In base ball many times the movements are a code,  signals to the players, or base runners. 

The spitting is just for fun.