Topic: Your first ever guitar

Don't know if this topic has been done , have'nt seen it .
   Tell us about the first guitar you ever owned . Whether you loved or hated it
it was still the first..............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Re: Your first ever guitar

My first guitar was an older Martin. I only knew a few chords at the time. We had a big party and a drunken fool fell on it as it sat in the corner and broke the headstock completly off.
I was pissed and didn't get another till some 20 years later. I
tried to glue it back but was never the same so I abandonbed
guitar till two years ago. I should have had him buy me a new one but didn't. Of course he did'nt come to another party we had.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Wow , twenty years ago ?
Are you and old timer too ?That must have been a traumatic experience for you,
( and a Martin too .) I bet you still have nightmares about that one .
   My first was a Stella flat top that was old when I got it ( forty five years ago when I was ten yrs old , I guess that dates me  ) .Knowing what I know now it was an awfull guitar , but I did'nt know the difference at the time . To me it was the holy grail . I learned a lot of what I know on that guitar . That was untill my two older sisters
were playing piggy back in the living room and fell on it when I had it sitting in a chair
smashed the top in .
( I think they were just mad because I had more sisters than they did....... )

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

mine was an accustic "stella" i painted it all kinds of colors and my mother would only let me sing in the basement but she showed me the first chords she played a 4 string martin i think, so i was into r&r when "rock around the clock"started a whole new era and learned all the elvis songs then buddy holly my first electric was a 1 pickup silvertone and my first good guitar was a candy apple vintage tele (my friend Sam Mc cue painted it)it was stolen from a club date the band played we were booked for the weekend and i was heartbroken but i went out and bought another. never leave your guitar a hard lesson i learned in my youth

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Just bought my first, a Yamaha F310 to get me started for at least a year.

G S E wrote:

Wow , twenty years ago ?
Are you and old timer too ?That must have been a traumatic experience for you,
( and a Martin too .) I bet you still have nightmares about that one .
   My first was a Stella flat top that was old when I got it ( forty five years ago when I was ten yrs old , I guess that dates me  ) .Knowing what I know now it was an awfull guitar , but I did'nt know the difference at the time . To me it was the holy grail . I learned a lot of what I know on that guitar . That was untill my two older sisters
were playing piggy back in the living room and fell on it when I had it sitting in a chair
smashed the top in .
( I think they were just mad because I had more sisters than they did....... )

GSE, Yeap twenty years ago, I was 29 so that dates me. At the time I didn't know what made a good guitar or names of brands. An old coal miner buddy of my Dads gave me the guitar as he thought I would be interested in it. Never told him what happened the the guitar and now can't. He passed on a few years ago at the ripe old age of 98. I still have it in storage just to have it . Hey parties have gotten a little mellower since then, no more drunken stumblin fools.

have a good day...Badeye.

one caper after another

BADEYE, I get scared, we almost need to go to a "nursery home for old people", I am born in 1955.
About the very first guitar, yes this has been already a few times a topic, but it's always nice to answer. I had a "piece of junk" belonging to my younger brother, BUT WITH an Electro-Acoustic element, and thinking about conquering the world. My studies did change plans. So my first guitar was a YAMAHA FG 300, for about $300 and 30 years ago. This was a guitar with a pick-guard like a Gibson Hummingbird. Also choices were quit limited in Europe. GIBSON & FENDER electrics, acoustic Yamaha was considered as a good guitar. Two tuners are broken, so 4 strings left and when picking a string, I'm amazed to hear a REAL GOOD SOUND.  I have the impression, that these Yamaha's are "wanted". I remember that thatguitar was really good, but my real interest started with a Black, reflecting finish, Gibson LP studio, followed by a Martin HD-28, I received from a junkie in need of money: 750$ (It was between 700-800$) and the rset is history.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

BADEYE, I get scared, we almost need to go to a "nursery home for old people", I am born in 1955.
About the very first guitar, yes this has been already a few times a topic, but it's always nice to answer. I had a "piece of junk" belonging to my younger brother, BUT WITH an Electro-Acoustic element, and thinking about conquering the world. My studies did change plans. So my first guitar was a YAMAHA FG 300, for about $300 and 30 years ago. This was a guitar with a pick-guard like a Gibson Hummingbird. Also choices were quit limited in Europe. GIBSON & FENDER electrics, acoustic Yamaha was considered as a good guitar. Two tuners are broken, so 4 strings left and when picking a string, I'm amazed to hear a REAL GOOD SOUND.  I have the impression, that these Yamaha's are "wanted". I remember that thatguitar was really good, but my real interest started with a Black, reflecting finish, Gibson LP studio, followed by a Martin HD-28, I received from a junkie in need of money: 750$ (It was between 700-800$) and the rset is history.

Hey DocPhil we are not getting older we are getting better.

Have a great day...Badeye

one caper after another

My first guitar was given to me by my girlfriend.  She had tried to learn it as a girl and had it hanging around.  I married her, by the way.  I don't recall the brand of the guitar, but I do recall that the neck was warped and I could only get five strings tuned at a time. 

I was given some guitars by a friend as part of a moving deal.  He needed help moving, and I helped.  He had extra stuff and put it in a pile.  Anyone who helped move could take anything they wanted from the pile.  I took three guitars.  All beat up, two of them were 3/4 size.  I gave one of them to my sister so that she could have a guitar for giving lessons on, I gave one to my daughter, and I kept the third.  The third was a Yamaha Classical full size "student" guitar. 

My first guitar I purchased is an Ibanez SG knockoff.  It's on my wall behind me right now.  I never play it, but all the talk of barre chords being easier on an electric got me thinking.  So I'm restringing it today and it will get some use.  It's a beautiful sounding guitar.  Sounds far richer than the meager price tag would have one suspect. 

If you're including basses in the lineup, then my first bass I bought was a home-built bass someone had traded.  I bought it for $25 on a whim.  It was a plywood body that was painted black and had a lightning bolt painted in red on the back with the word "Whizbang" painted diagonally across the body.  I loved Whizbang.  It got me restarted with stringed instruments.  Whizbang fell apart catastrophically while I was playing it.  It was home built, but not well built. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

badeye wrote:

Speak for yourself.  Between arthritis and weakening vision, I'm just getting older.  big_smile

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
badeye wrote:

Speak for yourself.  Between arthritis and weakening vision, I'm just getting older.  big_smile

I hear you Zurf, My eyesight isn't what it used to be, have some creeking bones too, but still enjoy my self with friends.
We laugh a lot,and play music .

have a good one...  Badeye

one caper after another

my first guitar was an old truetone,montgomery wards,i was 11.lol and then a harmony,and a silvertone from sears. i wish i still had them.that was 40 years ago. dam i'm getting old.lmao.

here's to us and those like us,damn few of us left.

It was a Hofner-Anno nylon string classical.  A beautiful instrument, with marvelous tone.  It was given to me by a close friend who had just lost his old landlord, with whom he was close.  He bought it for her.  She never played it.   He gave it to me.  I took it as a moral obligation to learn it, which I did.

I just gave it to a close friend of mine.  She's playing it every day now, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Mine was not as posh as all yours.

It was Christmas 1958, I was 11 and both my brother Colin and I received a 4 string, plastic guitar with Elvis Presley badges on it. It came with an 'autochord', a plasic box that strapped on the fingerboard with buttons to press to play the chords so no sore fingers. We were soon playing "Home On The Range" (the only one that remember that came with it's songbook) until the 'autochord' broke, then it was sore finger time. Unfortunately the plastic frets did not last too long neither and so those guitars have long since been destroyed but I do wish I had kept mine.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

My first guitar was some generic strat out of a Sears catalog. I actually wish I still had it. I could probably make it a decent guitar now.

I always wanted to play guitar at school but wasn't allowed to. sad

Won 50 quid on the premium bonds when I was 18 so I went out and bought a Fender F3 Flat top accoustic.

Dropped it once and the neck started to split from the body. Fortunately some good wood glue fixed that. Then I leant it to someone and they put a big dent in it. So it's pretty battered but I've still got it at home in the UK. It still sounds great and very easy to play.

My Mum bought me my 1st guitar from a church fund-raising sale. She paid £7 for an old beat up nylon-stringed classical. It was held together with black tape and I loved it. It did me for a year or so. I learned a lot on that old thing.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

My wife bought me my first guitar  a couple of years ago for christmas... Beautiful candy apple red Peavey Predator EXP Plus.  Looks good, sounds good (especially when played loud through the 30w Marshall).  Coincidentally she also bought me my first acoustic for christmas last year, a nice Tanglewood Indiana.  That one hurts my fingers but still love to play.

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

19 (edited by OldLaughingLady 2008-02-15 15:44:00)

I got my first guitar at age 15, which was 35 years ago. Does that make me an old-timer too? It was a $29 Fender student acoustic. What a piece of junk, barely ok to learn chords with. But I spent hours practicing chord changes and playing from a Beatles songbook that had chord diagrams. That, and practicing from my Mel Bay chord book got me to a place where my parents were convinced that I was actually serious about the guitar.

My first REAL guitar was a Guild D25 Mahogany. Got that for sweet 16.  In 1976, my first husband sold it for $100 to put a windshield in his '66 Impala.  The guy who bought it still has it and uses it to perform.  (Now that I’ve bought myself a new guitar, I’m no longer “allowed"  to tell that story, which was told with much emotion and full of expletives!)

25 years ago I bought a used 1968 Yamaha FG180 from the commune-dwelling daughter of certified hippies, who were the original owners. I  still have it. I had repairs done on it back then, and replaced the tuning machines with Grovers. My second husband managed to discourage me from playing and I didn’t play for about 20 years.  The poor Yamaha sat in a case that entire time, drying out.  Last year some friends encouraged me to start playing again, and I also had the guitar repaired again. It sounds great but I found it just too big to be comfortable playing it. (Is my age showing yet?)

Last year I treated myself to a new guitar. I was specifically looking for a smaller guitar and ended up buying a Martin CXE Black electric/acoustic. It's one of their least expensive guitars but it has a great sound, even though it's made from a combination of wood composite and laminated wood neck. No endangered hardwoods were used in its manufacture.  It’s very easy to play, sounds like a big guitar, and is much smaller then the Yamaha dreadnought.  It’s a great guitar but it’s cheapness shows. The manufacturer’s mark isn’t stamped on the wood; it’s a sticker, which wanted to come off until I pressed it on more firmly. And the gold lettering on the head is just stickers and one of them came off after I parked a clamp-on capo there. 

Access to music to play is key for anyone just starting out. I had limited resources for buying songbooks when I was a teenager. That was back in the Stone Age before the Internet.  I’m so glad I started to play again and I must say that I wouldn’t have been able to do it without Chordie!

>^,,^<

OldLaughingLady wrote:

I got my first guitar at age 15, which was 35 years ago. Does that make me an old-timer too?

I am 10 years older than you and I certainly am not an 'old-timer' yet. You are still a kid.:lol:

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

OldLaughingLady wrote:

Access to music to play is key for anyone just starting out. I had limited resources for buying songbooks when I was a teenager. That was back in the Stone Age before the Internet.  I’m so glad I started to play again and I must say that I wouldn’t have been able to do it without Chordie!

couldn't agree more, recently started to learn on an Encore (the strat lookalike model) which i got off Ebay on a whim,

ok, fair enough, a lot of more experienced guitarists might mock the Encore brand but its not a bad little starter and it will do until i decide to spend out on something a little pricier.

as for the wonders of the web and learning, well, i've spent a good few quid on books, dvds and even cd-roms to learn the guitar and to be honest, after i'd learnt a few of the basic chords i started to look online for songs that are a bit more to my liking than the nursery rhymes you get in the books and my playing is improving at a much better rate

My first guitar was a Made in Mexico Stratocaster. I loved it, and I still do. Had to fix a few minor problems, but she's perfect for my style of playing....

23 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-16 02:24:34)

I love some of these stories. I guess first loves last forever!

My fiance gave me an inexpensive nylon-stringed classical guitar 17 or 18 years ago (I think it was from the JC Penny catalog, or is that catalogue?). I learned "Red River Valley" on it, and thought it sounded like a toy.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided what I needed was a good set of steel strings.

Two weeks later I couldn't get it to stay in tune, and, while playing "Tom Dooley", the bridge ripped itself from the laminate top.

I didn't play again for nearly 15 years, when the same woman (now my wife) gave me a Jasmine for my birthday. Not a Martin, or a Taylor, but a really nice instrument which I have been playing now for a little over two years.

Just play

Mine was an Angelica acoustic, that i bought off a flatmate in '76, she and i played well together for about 5 years, till one day she fell under a passing car. I cried the day the music died.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"