Topic: Good guitar for beginner (child)

Hi there, I am a newbie around here, having never posted. By browsing over various posts, I can see that there are many people over here that know a lot more than I do concerning guitars. I have a nine year old son who would like to learn guitar. I don't think I'm ready to leave him alone with either of mine (a 1975 Gibson Hummingbird, and a 1979 Les Paul).  I have been checking Ebay for Baby Taylors, which seemed like it may be a good choice. What amazed me is how much they are selling for there. They are getting within 20 to 30 dollars of a new one, if you include the shipping charges. I'd like to spend a little as possible, but want a guitar easy enough for him to play, in the 300 dollars or less area. If anyone can give me their opinion, I would appreciate it.

Craig

Re: Good guitar for beginner (child)

I have recently bought a Sea Gull for my Son. They have great action and a decent sound. In addition the neck is fairly narrow so it is easier for smaller hands.  I went on the internet and googled top guitar for a learner and they recommended the Sea Gull.

I played it for a while myself and I really liked it, in fact the sound was very close to my Martin D-28.

Hey Craig , Welcome to chordie! I have a 9yr old son as well and I gave him my Takamini. It fits him perfectly and has a great sound for a smaller guitar. It sounds even better plugged in. These can be found occasionally on ebay for $150-$200 in mint used condition. I'd highly recommend them. Then you can borrow it for a travel guitar yourself..lol As far as even cheaper I got my other son (7 yrs old) an Indiana Colt (I believe the name is) Indiana is a devision (lower end) of morgan monroe. I was really impressed with it ,for the money ($55). If it was me I'd wait on the baby taylor for a year or so and make sure his intrest remains. then maybe go with a big baby (15/16 scale) taylor later on. Just my 2 cents.... Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I recently picked up a Washburn Rover travel guitar so I had something to practice with in the hotel room when I am traveling for work. My 9 year old son loves it and for $150 you can't go wrong. The only drawback is you have to use a strap because of balance. It obviously is not very loud, but that is a benefit is some cases (like playing in a hotel room, or listening to your 9 year old). smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

clin48154 wrote:

Hi there, I am a newbie around here, having never posted. By browsing over various posts, I can see that there are many people over here that know a lot more than I do concerning guitars. I have a nine year old son who would like to learn guitar. I don't think I'm ready to leave him alone with either of mine (a 1975 Gibson Hummingbird, and a 1979 Les Paul).  I have been checking Ebay for Baby Taylors, which seemed like it may be a good choice. What amazed me is how much they are selling for there. They are getting within 20 to 30 dollars of a new one, if you include the shipping charges. I'd like to spend a little as possible, but want a guitar easy enough for him to play, in the 300 dollars or less area. If anyone can give me their opinion, I would appreciate it.

Craig

Craig,
   Have a look at some of the guitars on this site. I've bought many instruments from these folkes and they always come through in top rate fashion. Happy hunting..........
http://www.music123.com/Acoustic-Guitar … sic123?o=1

SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Musicians Friend and Music123 both have good prices on beginner guitars.  You can get something that will make a chord for under $100 from either of them.  I have used them both and been pleased with both, maybe a little more pleased with Music123 but that's meant as a complement to Music123 rather than a complaint about Musicians Friend.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

FWIW -  Guitar Center, Musicians Friend & Music123 are all owned by the same company. They also own / run Harmony Central.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!