Topic: 12 Strings

Just got back from the local Guitar Center. Picked up a 12 string and played it, had never ever seen a 12 string in person. Bad idea, I'm hooked on the sound. Anybody had any experience with a 12 string? Pros? Cons?

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Re: 12 Strings

I too am a 12 fan. they can produce that big acoustic resonance some songs need. They don't suit all types of or music oe styles of playing - not so good for picking since you have twice as many strings that are close together. Tuning and restringing is also more of a hassle , but hey! it's defintely worth it.   great fro playing some of that great music with 12 string accompaniment such as Pink fLOYD.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

3 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-10 05:03:47)

I have played a couple. Never thought about buying one for the reasons TwangTown mentions: Not good for a huge variety of songs.

When I become independently wealthy and have a good collection of six-strings, I may get a 12 string, though, just to play "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" good and proper!

smile

To each his own. Enjoy!

Just play

I love too play 12 strings,I have owned two of them great too play with America, pink floyd, led zepplen. They are a hassle too tune and restring.(and strings get expensive)  dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I had a twelve string back in the 60's when there was only one gauge of string available and it had to be tuned to D to reduce the neck tension. I was very fond of that guitar, I love the fullness of the sound and long to own another.

My friend has music store and on his shelf is a 12 string which gets a airing each time I visit and as it is not too expensive I may do a deal with him at some time to stop me getting all broody when I hear folks talking about one.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Got too of them. Got hooked in Haight Ashbury one Salturday afternoon. Ended up buying a Seagull. Spent the rest of the weekend in my hotel playing it!

Difficult and hard on the fingures to start but there are some songs out there that sound really great on a 12.

Anyway a couple of months later I picked up a Martin D12-28. If the Seagull was good this was the ultimate sound.

Yes its need regular tuning but for some songs its worth it.

hi etc04

I have a  STAGG 12 string acoustic and I love it.
I do not play it as much as I want to.
Like it was said, it does not suit every kind of style of msuic but a few good tunes are

wish you were here...pink floyd.
hotel california..... eagl4es
hotel yorba....white stripes

and many many more

It is even better if you have a 12 string guitar and a 6 stringer jamming together, ye get that certain oooomf sound from the two together. They compliment each other very well.

the bad thing about 12 strings is finger plucking, or lack of it. I cannot do it at all, but then I am bad enough finger plucking a 6 string,lol

they are good, I like them.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I purchased a 12 string a year ago.  (TAKAMINE EF381SC)  This is the best sounding guitar in the world!! There are very few song that are 12 string only therfore i dont play it as often as my six string however when i do play it sounds awsome.  It is real nice to play when you have someone that plays a six string along with you, as you might have read in the other comments they compliment each other nicely.  So what I'm trying to say is that if you got spare cash floating around BUY IT however you will find yuorself not playing as often as you originnally thought..

CHEERS

Had my 12 for a while and I play it about the same amount as my 6. Sounds great but you need an electronic tuner to reduce tuning time.  The other posts are right that they sound great together on Hotel California or Give a Litte Bit etc.....