1 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-02-11 14:35:45)

Topic: Anyone else ever play with fellow guitarist online?

I have a few friends that I met on the web from all over the world. Most are guitarist I met through youtube. We like to use yahoo chat alot. We can video chat and have a pc to pc call going at the same time (it's all free). This allows you to see and hear the other person. The sound quality is sometimes not the best but it's still a great way to actually meet some of the people you talk to online and even play some songs and share ideas. I do this fairly often with some friends in Canada and Japan (amongst other places).  It's really alot of fun and can be very helpfull...I was just wondering if anyone else ever did this much..?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Anyone else ever play with fellow guitarist online?

pix would i need a web cam? it sounds like s good idea russ

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

pix would i need a web cam? it sounds like s good idea russ

Hey Russ, Yea you need a webcam but that's all.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

4 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-02-11 20:31:11)

well i can get one at walmart for 20 or so i'll check it out

"Growing old is not for sissies"

sounds like a great way of sharing an interest and a fun way of learning from others . i would be interested - how many can be online at the same time ? and do you have a strict policy that all must have webcams ? . i dont mind doing the webcam thing at all - but it bugs me when i think there are others that you cant see as well . do you also have certain times of the week to meet up ? please feel free to pm me . dave ( evsynator )

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

You'd need a mic as well wouldn't you?

7 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-02-13 19:54:31)

evsynator wrote:

sounds like a great way of sharing an interest and a fun way of learning from others . i would be interested - how many can be online at the same time ? and do you have a strict policy that all must have webcams ? . i dont mind doing the webcam thing at all - but it bugs me when i think there are others that you cant see as well . do you also have certain times of the week to meet up ? please feel free to pm me . dave ( evsynator )

Hey Dave, I'm not really sure how many can be online at the same time...I've done it a few times with a couple of friends but we never tried to do more than 2 people. It's not anything special but can be fun. As far as a policy for webcams..I don't really care either way. It just helps if your trying to share chords or explain a certain song or riff...That's really up to you and whoever your chatting with. I just more or less wanted to remind people that ,while chatting can be fun by itself, we can also use a video and audio link to share our music. These are free and why not use them... All that is required is a webcam and/or a mic.

I'll drop you a pm sometime soon. Peace!

Tibernius wrote:

You'd need a mic as well wouldn't you?

Hey Tibernus, If you have a cam chances are it has a mic built in. All the ones I've seen do but things could be diffrent in other parts of the world... Sometimes it's not the best quality audio but it works. All I use is a Logitech Quickcam 2 ($40). Nothing fancy but it works... I plan to get a recorder in the next couple of weeks though and that will allow me to run my good mics straight into the pc. Peace!

Guitarpix wrote:

Hey Tibernus, If you have a cam chances are it has a mic built in. All the ones I've seen do but things could be diffrent in other parts of the world... Sometimes it's not the best quality audio but it works. All I use is a Logitech Quickcam 2 ($40). Nothing fancy but it works... I plan to get a recorder in the next couple of weeks though and that will allow me to run my good mics straight into the pc. Peace!

I see. To be honest I'd forgotten that some/most have them built in. hmm

my webcam has a built in mic - but it has a few drawbacks - so i never use it . if the other person ( or persons) have the sound coming out of their pc speakers it causes a lot of feedback . a cheap headset with built in mic ( the sort that you can dangle in front of your mouth) is a lot better for serious long time chat .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.