Topic: Once

Have any of you good people seen this film?("ONCE") It's a modern musical filmed in Ireland that stars Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. My wife picked it up last night, said that the story line reminded her of me. We watched the film together last night. Brilliant !!! I came home tonight after my gig and watched it again. A few of the songs from the movie have been in my head all day. I am moved by this film and the high quality of the music in it. If any of you folks have ever struggled to make ends meet, as I have done much too often, you will appreciate this film.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

P.S. for OLD DOLL, there's a scene by the Lizzy Borden statue. (the same one on your myspace page!)

Give everything but up.

Re: Once

WOW, Jesus. I found a link Southpaw, and opening that site!!?? You hear a song performed by "I don't know who" but that song is touching me real deep.
THE MOVIE IS AVAILABLE ON DVD, and the SOUNDTRACK on CD: on Amazon.com for $8.99.
This is "no" money, you can listen to the 13 tracks, amazing. Thanks for the tip SOUTHPAW

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Southpaw!

Well did I laugh  at Lizzy Borden ?. Is That " The lizzy Borden had a axe , gave her hubby forty wacks, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ahem!

Well I think you might mean my friend from childhood. Phil Lynott? Who is/ was better known as  Lead singer with "Thin Lizzy" He was also the first person I knew  to die from drugs. He was a lovely guy so sad how it all ended for him. he used to play in our local youth club.

I do agree about the Film. I find it brilliant when My Emerald is portrayed so well.
Another i seen recently is "Ps I love You" Music not as good as Once, But the Irish scenery is fantastic in it.

Another from way back shows the cruder side of the music industry and Dublin.

The Committments" It uses so much irish slang its hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehFZ38kt6o

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

The Commitments:  Simply one of THE best 10 films in the history of film.  In my humble opinion!

Bonedaddy in the shadows, lurking cool

lol

I'm the son of rage and love

5 (edited by Old Doll 2008-02-13 20:42:30)

Ah Ya can come out of them shadows Bonedaddy.

Sure your absolutely right. Ive watched it a million times and still
bust out laughing at some of the scenes.

I think Rockdoc  was refering to this beautiful song  by "Glen Hansard"

Falling Slowly"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anSViACU920

Ps These 2 people became a item in real life. Ah I love a good ending.

Old Doll.

Oh yeah, "The Committments" is a good one.
Movies about the Irish struggle for self-dertermination often serve as my history lessons. I just recently watched one about a group of young conutry boys, who eventually organize to oppose British rule and then try to make sense of their new-found freedom -it seemed to be a relatively new movie. At the center of the story was one village and a farm that got burned down by British soldiers... Any ideas what the title might have been? I subscribe to a bunch of TV movie channels in HD and can hardly ever remember the titles.

Play on!

Old Doll wrote:

Southpaw!

Well did I laugh  at Lizzy Borden ?. Is That " The lizzy Borden had a axe , gave her hubby forty wacks, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ahem!

Well I think you might mean my friend from childhood. Phil Lynott? Who is/ was better known as  Lead singer with "Thin Lizzy" He was also the first person I knew  to die from drugs. He was a lovely guy so sad how it all ended for him. he used to play in our local youth club.

Yeah!?!?, that's what i meant to say (duhhhh,ooops) At least i got one of the reference points semi-correct. (Lizzy) My wife bought me the  "Once" soundtrack for valentines day along with the Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss CD. Both beautiful works of music.

Give everything but up.

Robert Plant/ Allison Krauss Fantastic.

I tried to get one of my friends to go see them with me in Wembley!

No Joy! So the Albums next best thing.

Enjoy.

Old Doll

Tennessee Strats,
I think that film is a very recent one. Cannot rememember the name either.
Irish Film names are often changed for the American Market.

The Field" film to me was the best film ever made about how the Irish feel
about there land. Believe me i know generations who fell out over patches of land. Some only good enough to give cattle hoof rot. But there land none the less.
The Snapper, The Van. are the follow on to the Committments"
others i enjoyed, was "Man about Dog. Waking Ned" Winds that shake the Barley. Veronica Guerin" Magdalen Laundrys" Theres just to many to put here.

Old Doll.

Old Doll wrote:

Robert Plant/ Allison Krauss Fantastic.

I tried to get one of my friends to go see them with me in Wembley!

No Joy! So the Albums next best thing.

Enjoy.

Old Doll

Old Doll,
  I like track 3 especially. ( Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us) The melody, the arrangement, and the title. Rosetta is my wifes' name!
   So what's the scoop with Plant and Krauss ? Are they an item or what ? I have no inside information only a hunch. Regardless, the CD is one of the best I've heard in a long while. T-Bone Burnett is the mayn!
    I played 2 gigs yesterday and alternated "Once" and "Raising Sand" on my breaks at both gigs. My ears and soul were nicely filled with great, fresh music all day( on the breaks ). I'll let others speak of the music I was playing.

Have A Wonderful Day,
SouthPaw41L
(CD coming soon, I promise...........)

Give everything but up.