Topic: recording with a PXR4

Hi all, ( or all that is reading)

I got a gift from me mrs' da ( my father in law)
He gave me a 4 track recording digital gizmo. a PXR4.
I have recorded one song so far on it, but I have a few questions if anyone can help.
And I have the instructions but not all is so clear to me. I dont know if it is just me or the instructions written in a secret code for record producers, lol

Anyway, for mixing down.
I can put it on my computer but i cannot get the song all in one file, when i save it to the computer it saves each individual track.
Is there a way of mixing down on the actual unit itself and then saving the complete song onto the computer?
I have guitar pro 3 ( a 32 track recording studio) on my computer and I took these two tracks and put them in guitarpro and made the tracks as one file that way. Seems like a long way for a short cut.
The song has turned out really good though and I even managed to put an extra effect in the song. ( i recorded me doing eric bogle's " now i'm easy)

and now that brings me onto the effects, I spent over an hour reading and trying but I just cannot work out this effects thing on it. it has 100 built in effects and 100 spaces to preprogram your own but I cannot work it.

So anyone got one of these things and nows a quick easy way to explain to me these things?

cheers

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: recording with a PXR4

Hi Ken,

I have just looked at the Korg spec for the PXR4 and it can play back 4 channels simultaneously so you can record it to your PC in one go, no doubt controlling the balance of each track as you do. It is very different from my Tascam tape unit so I am afraid I cannot help with specifics on the procedure but I hope someone else can.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

thanks Roger for looking into that.
I know I can play the 4 tracks at one time allowing me to mix etc while the song is being recorded but I do not know what to use to record it with. My recorder on this pc only records about 30 secs at a time, unless I am being really thick and it is easier than I think.
I have never used the computer to record apart from wit hthe guitar pro, but that would mean more settings on that program.

Is there an option just to record anything on to a pc that I am not seeing?

I could ask my father in law next, but I am just so impatient.

I have now recorded 4 songs. This has taken about 6 hours I tihnk, and they could have been done better if I was not so impatient.

Ken

Ken, when I built my computer I put a Creative F-Xi sound card in it, not the cheapest but it gave me plenty of connections at the front of my PC with superb software, and I record everything through it.

Surely there is software with yourPXR4? If not try looking at: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=PXR4 there may be software for recording there.

Roger

Roger thanks again
You just inspired me to go looking. I dont really know why I didnt think of this before since I tell people constantly to go look things up on the net, it is suprising how much things you get F.O.C

I went here   http://www.roemersoftware.com/free-sound-recorder.html

and got a free recorder and it works great. I will have to muck about with the settings for the recording since I have one on my sound card, and another one on this free program as well as two volume controls on the 4 track.
So once I get these sorted for all my recording and playback etc then I will have it sorted.

Also, a good thing about this free recording program is it converts the music straight to MP3

I hope to get all these recording levels sorted soon. I got this feeling the 4 track is going to work out better than my 32 track studio on my pc. But i can still do stuff on the 4 track then enter them in the 32 track and add on any effect I want.

Cheers Roger.
When I do my first decent recording from all this I will e mail you it.

Ken

Ken I will look forward to recieving it. A 4 track recording device can save a lot of time and make a lot big to the finished song. Have fun.

Roger

following this with interest and thanks for the usefull link with the recorder . is there a good free mixing studio online as well ? preferably with a few effects . i am very interested in doing a bit for fun . thanks .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

I guess I'm back in the stone ages with my tascam 4 track cassette. I lay down the tracks and record and mix to  another cassette recorder.I feel old when I  think about using my computer to record with,guess I'm an old dog.

Later Wayne

Later, Wayne P

evsynator wrote:

following this with interest and thanks for the usefull link with the recorder . is there a good free mixing studio online as well ? preferably with a few effects . i am very interested in doing a bit for fun . thanks .

tried to send you an email but your addres does not seem to work

Ken

checked my settings ken , i should be allowed to recieve forum emails - so thats a bit weird . i sent you one . though i cant seem to find a place where it says it was sent or not . i also checked my email address was ok and it was . if you can try again on here then i will get onto the admin and see if there is a problem somewhere . thanks for the effort . dave .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

KEN
I don't know if my device is the same as yours.
I have since 18 months a KORG PANDORA TONEWORKS PX4D, at least that device looks very similar. It is an amazing piece, size of a "cigarette box" with I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH EFFECTS.
I love to use it with my electric guitar, and follow the rhythm. I also use it almost always in combination with my ACOUSTIC amp (Marshall AS100D), they told me in the Music Store, that Albert King was there some weeks ago, and he seems to use always an ACOUSTIC amp. But I know you can plug in this Pandora, a CD, MP3, but can you also RECORD?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

try audacity its totally free and a great studio i dont have the link but you can google it or arkady can help he swears by it and his tunes are very impressive

evsynator wrote:

** Russell the link is: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/  Roger **

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Lieven,
It sounds the same but I dont think mine is a pandora, it is korg toneworks PXR4.
Probably just about the same.
And yes you can record, you can mix it down on to what russell has said " audacity".
But I dont like audacity much. It is ok to record one track, so for recording singing and playing at the same time it is superb for that, it also has things to balance out the music.

I Have a few things now I can mix down onto so now I am spoilt for choice.

evs,
I will respond to you email I got, so I can give you some good news.

Ken