Topic: Slipping picks

any tips on how to stop it or any good picks to use that elimate slipping?

Re: Slipping picks

I really like these Dunlop nylon picks. A fellow chordian (Guitarpix) turned me on to. They have raised lettering and a texture that really helps prevent slippage.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page … ucts/picks

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

hold on to them tighter

"Growing old is not for sissies"

As mentioned by Topdown I prefer the Jim Dunlop .73s to eliminate this problem. However if you have a pick that you like but it's slick and keeps slipping you can fix the problem. You can do this several ways, My 2 favorites are either to take a small drill bit and put 4-5 small holes in the pick to help with grip ot to just take a knife tip and scratch a # pattern onto each side. Both work well and will help solve your problem. Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Russell_Harding wrote:

hold on to them tighter

Yip i've tried that but my problem as a beginner is when i hold them tighter i tend to  think about it and lose a bit of concentration them my strumming become erratic

I use the new "brain" picks that are out, they have little grips on them to help prevent slipping

Try a small piece of cloth tape on pick.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

They make an adhesive specifically for this called "Gorilla Snot".

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

9 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-18 03:03:41)

I used to think this was an insurmountable problem. I used the gorilla snot, and bought picks with "grips" on them, but then I realized, the more I played, the less I thought about it, and the less of a problem it is.

I lick my fingers slightly before I begin, then rub them together to make them a little tacky. This helps, but not as much as just playing. I use a Fender medium that is completely slick and am noticing that I rarely think about the pick slipping any more. While some slippage is physical I also think that some of it is mental. It feels like it is slipping because it is still something you are thinking about. Both will be resolved through continuous playing, making the pick in your hand feel natural, and learning by experience the appropriate amount of pressure.

Just play

cool

one caper after another

While I agree with what you are saying ON, I can contradict that "less thinking" argument with a "more drinking" counter argument. The more I drink, it is obvious (to others) that my thinking decreases, yet pick slippage increases exponentially. On a Friday or Saturday night, I routinely have 3 or 4 picks inside my guitar, and I just leave them and let em play along - adds kind of a snare drum rhythm to my playing. smile

And noooo, I can't agree with the licking your fingers advice - after 10 or 12 cocktails that can't be a good idea. Who knows where your fingers have been at that point?

I think superglue might be the answer.

big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

12 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-18 05:02:04)

You know, TD, I never considered the inebriation factor.

I'm guessing after a Wild Turkey or twelve, I could use a ping-pong paddle for a pick and it wouldn't make any difference - much easier to hold onto, and less likely to fall into the hole!

(and what better way to tell where your fingers have been than by taste? That's my "go-to" mnemonic device when the wife asks me where I've been!)

Just play

13 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-18 05:03:52)

So, there's my answer, clansman...

Drink plenty, and use a ping-pong paddle.

Problem solved.

(I should charge for this...)

Just play

i find that when im pickin i dont think about how much pressure or how tight to hold the pick it actually moves between my fingers and switches posistion and i find myself playing with the opposite end and i reposistion it to the right end while i pick i think i hold it kind of loose so my first advice to hold it tighter was kind of tongue in cheek its true the more you play it becomes less of an issue stick a few picks in your pickguard so in case you drop one grab another

I have never had a problem dropping the picks I use on my acoustic. I have five, called a thumb and  four fingers, they have a soft side and a hard side, that can be used individually or together and I can created many different sound with them. Well worth investing in!! lol lol lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

can i download themLOL

Drop enough picks in your guitar and it becomes a percussion instrument!

I drop fewer picks the longer I play.

When I do drop a pick, I just finish the song using fhe same picks that Roger Guppy uses.  Except I use my own.  It would be really freaky if I used his.  And a little more familiar than I care to get with another man. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm sure Roger would be happy to help out, though, Zurf.  He seems like a pretty nice guy.

Just play

Just like badeye, i use "cool" picks.  they have some kind of rubber coating at the ends that really resist sweat and grime...and alcohol.  They clean up nice with soap and water.  Not cheap. 'bout a buck a pick.  Why does the pick disappear in an eye-blink but you look like a dolt holding your guitar upside down looking up into the sound hole shaking like a mad man trying to get it out!?

rndthefire

Last Rebel's first rule of playing a show:
ALWAYS BRING EXTRA PICKS.
  Dunlop grip picks help, but breaking the .50's is my problem now

All You Need is Love smile

I like the Dunlops that Guitarpix mentions above; the lettering makes them easier to hang on to but I prefer a small teardrop "jazz" pick and can't find the same type in thin. any suggestions?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

For what it's worth, I scuff mine up a bit with a piece of sandpaper & it help a lot.

I use the Snarling Dog Brain picks ... love em and wont go back to "flat" picks ... emery board type grip on them so they dont slip

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=110010

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

another option to make your pick/plectrum is to make a hole in them so you finger and thumb make skin contact.
I think you can also buy plectrums that have holes in them already.
Since your skin touches skin there is no way the plecky can slip.

As for Russell saying hold it tighter, this will give you cramp in your hand after a while, unless you exersise your hand with some weights and really build those muscles up lol

yeah, a hole in the plectrum is my answer.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

You could try cat toung picks they almost have what feels like sandpapper on them realy cool