Topic: I have respect for musicians

Please someone give me some inspiration!  I always wanted to learn guitar and finally did somethng about it now in my adult life and been taking lessons from the ground up (music theory, practicing chords, learning strumming patterns).  I've only had 6 weekly lessons so far and practice about 30 mins a day (more when I find the time).  This is so difficult.  But I still love it and really trying hard to learn.  I know 10 chords but there is hesitation while switching and then of course you don't quite get a clean ring off the strings.  You know how it goes.  So I stop, look at my fingers where they're touching extra strings and slowly adjust and ring the strings again till I get it right.  But man, am I doing something wrong, or is this painstaking slow way to learn the only way?  I'm asking when I should realistically expect to play something that is recognizable?  Is it realistic to get good enough to play a song in months or am I in this for a year before I can expect more from myself and actually play a real song with the right tempo?  I can't beleive how guitarists don't even look at the guitar and position their fingers in the right place while switching chords so fast.  WOW.  I realize now how amazing that is.

Re: I have respect for musicians

I know you're going to get about a million replies to your note and I can tell you now that there will be one key message. Practice practice practice!!!

Seriously, there is nothing more frustrating than trying to learn to play guitar, but as you seem to have realised, it is soooooo worth it.

Keep doing what you're doing. Practice as much as you possibly can and don't get dis-heartened. When I was learning I got to the point where I thought I'd never be able to play anything and then suddenly, bang! A tune came out of nowhere. You'll experience that too, just be patient. There will be loads of milestones that you'll pass as you learn. Nailing that chord change, getting a new strum pattern down, playing your first entire song. Then as you progress, getting into your barre chords, singing along with the guitar, playing without looking. Believe me, none of this will be too far away, just don't try to run before you can walk and keep at it. Everyone on here has either gone through or is going through what you are at the moment. And absolutely everyone on here is still trying to learn something to do with playing. That's what makes it so great!

But if support and helpful advice is what you need then one thing's guaranteed: You're in the right place for it.

Good luck!!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Thanks for that thoughtful reply Bud_wiser.  It's appreciated!

You'll get there.  Take it easy with yourself.  You NEVER stop learning guitar or music.  Last year I was at a campfire with some buddies and one of the guys there was new.  The old traditionals were playing guitar and swapping songs.  They invited me to play a couple songs, which I did, even after only eight months of playing and things were VERY rough  but they were kind.  One fellow was kind enough to say, "You stick with it D.  It's working out for you." 
But then the new fellow was asked to play a song.  He went into what I can only describe as rock and roll jazz metal acoustic riffs and licks and everyone, including the two fellows who have kept everyone entertained for years, sat slack jawed.  Then one of them got up and moved to the other side of the campfire.  He had been sitting next to the new guy.  Someone asked if he was jealous.  He said, "Heck no!  I just want to see how he's doing this!"  This was said by a fellow with three albums and immeasurable pub gigs to his name. 

Anyway, you're certainly in the hardest part of it.  Stick to your practice, especially the theory and scales.  I wish that I had stuck to them earlier on (I'm only into guitar a year and a quarter at this point).  Those who have have accelerated past me rapidly.  Russell Harding and Jerome ONeill are FANTASTIC theory coaches.  They are willing to share, and that makes this forum a better place.  Then there's other folks who are great with strumming and how to read tabs and all sorts of things.  The folks on this forum have helped me along in ways I find hard to fathom. 

Anyway, it's worthwhile.  Stick with it.  Take time at each breakthrough to stop and have a celebration moment.  If you're by yourself, what the heck high five yourself.  If you like, come on here and tell us.  Lots of folks just taking up guitar on the forum.  We can commiserate and share what we've learned and be a support net for one another. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

vhagopian,

Welcome!

I started playing two years ago, when I turned 38.

You are on the right track. All I can add to what bud_wiser said is to maybe not think of it as a task, but as a part of your life. Just realize that you will spend thirty minutes or so each night for the rest of your life playing music (and what you are playing now IS music). Everything else will fall into place without you hardly realizing it.

And get around players as often as you can.

Good luck, and welcome to an awesome site, and a groovy new world!

Just play

vhagopian wrote:

Please someone give me some inspiration!  I always wanted to learn guitar and finally did somethng about it now in my adult life and been taking lessons from the ground up (music theory, practicing chords, learning strumming patterns).  I've only had 6 weekly lessons so far and practice about 30 mins a day (more when I find the time).  This is so difficult.  But I still love it and really trying hard to learn.  I know 10 chords but there is hesitation while switching and then of course you don't quite get a clean ring off the strings.  You know how it goes.  So I stop, look at my fingers where they're touching extra strings and slowly adjust and ring the strings again till I get it right.  But man, am I doing something wrong, or is this painstaking slow way to learn the only way?  I'm asking when I should realistically expect to play something that is recognizable?  Is it realistic to get good enough to play a song in months or am I in this for a year before I can expect more from myself and actually play a real song with the right tempo?  I can't beleive how guitarists don't even look at the guitar and position their fingers in the right place while switching chords so fast.  WOW.  I realize now how amazing that is.

As mentioned by "BUD" practice, practice, practice and when your tired of practice practice some more. You have to see the end of the road right now you've just started your journey it is well worth the time and efforts. Keep on practicing and don't get discouraged If you walk versus running you still get there just takes a little longer and your not as tired.

Good luck!

Bootlegger.

Hi vhagopian
Welcome to Chordie.
Now what can say that hasn't or will be said here...Mmmm
I've been playing for over 20years and yes I'm still learning and mores to the point still playing bum notes and alike. Still practicing mostly every day still pushing myself and getting it wrong but sometimes getting it right.
Learning the guitar is not an exact science we all progress at different rates but we all progress.
The  key to getting on is to love what you are doing and practice.
Ark

hang in there work hard,enjoy your progress a year from now you can look back and have a good laugh but it dosn't stop there it always begins each day

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I wish I could say I just started to play but it's been a while and I wish I was better.
I can play a bunch of tunes and sing them but seem to forget them if I'm not looking at the words/chords it sucks I can't seem to remember any tips other than just play them cause I've played them to death?

Hi vhagopian,

What you are doing with all this practice, practice, practice is training your finger muscles and tendons  to immediately go to a certain position each time you think to play a different chord and it does take time for this to become automatic.

I have been playing a number of years (my first guitar used dinosaur gut for strings lol) but I still come across a song with a chord I do not normally use and have to spend time learning it. OK, it comes easier with experience but it is never instantaneous.

So keep at it, everyone's progress is different, but the rewards make the effort worthwhile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Vhagopian, based on my experience it will just take time and a whole lotta practice. I started a little over 2 years ago and I know how frustrating it can be too want to see improvement and not see it. BUT if you continue with putting in the time to practice you'll wake up one day and it will all begin to come together. Its a slow process but worth every minute. Even a little baby has gotta learn to crawl before it can walk. Take your time and learn slow as you will retain that information better. Find a good teacher to help you with the basics, keep you from learning any bad habits and bring you along as your ability allows. And KEEP PRACTICING.

Nela

Hi vhagopian and welcome to chordie!

Something that helps me tremendously is using a metronome while practicing chord changes. For me anyway, the ability to track my progress and see daily improvement is a wonderful motivator. I have a small korg metronome, but also use this free on line one frequently.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey everyone, thanks for your messages!  I read them all and they made a huge difference for me.  I feel a whole lot better and even more determined to learn the right way and just keep practicing.  I love this and so look forward to coming home from work and pick up my guitar.  It's also good to know there's a cool forum like this for when you need a gut check.  Thanks again everyone!  V.

Your fingers will cry, but your guitar will sing - if you keep practicing. It's amazing what you can do if you are persistent.

My daughter had been learning a few weeks and had a few chords. She made up a song with two of those chords and invited her friends around to form a band! To get around the chord changing problem she showed one of her mates ( who couldn't play at all!) how to play a D on one guitar and she took the other chord on another guitar. When a D was needed her mate would play and when a G was needed she would play.

It actually sounded really good - but, then as a parent, I'm biased.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

You are on exactly the right track !! Keep going !! It's tough but it gets exponentially better and you will be amazed, but Practice , Practice blah blah ad nauseum, you'll be fine !! smile

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Another thing, vhag...

if you know 10 chords, there are a multitude of songs that you will be able to play.

You might want to find a song that you like that has chords in it that you know, then learn to play that song. It will teach you changes, and learning a song is motivation. Hearing all those lonely chords come together into something you recognize is certainly a revolution!

Just play

As everyone has already stated, you're on the path. It won't be long before you're WOWing yourself with how far you've come. My father once told me if you needed a reminder of your progress, flip the guitar around and try to play it left-handed (or right-handed, as may be).

Just keep practicing changing between chords you know. Don't stop your strumming rhythm, even if you can't get the chord, just move on.

Good luck!

Like said above, don't give up.Practice, paticience,persistience. I went thru the same thing.We all did.
only two years ago I didn't know a chord and now can do 20 plus songs without book in front of me. I also started to play the guitar on my lap which is fun to do. Stay the course it does get better.

Have a good one...Badeye.

one caper after another

Gee guys ,
   Everybody else stole my thunder here , but ditto , ditto , ditto .......
   When I used to give lessons, I always used what is now referred to as
" Suzzuki Method " ( you know , listen , then play what you've heard ) . I always found that after learning three major chords , most students could then play a wide variety of songs , and this was all it took to get them hooked . After that , the sky is the limit .
   Work hard at practice , but don't make it a chore.....it's supposed to be fun !!!!!!

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

So true G S E, I know a guy who plays 5 chords and in awesome.
I think I was eight when I started.  A friend would play a note, and then I would play same note, then it was 2 notes and 3, pretty soon before I knew what was happening he had taught me to play a simple boogie woogie key of A D and E.  then he would add other stuff.  I learned a few chords maybe 4, and then tried playing along whenever he was around.  Man I was a pest, but never quit.  The F chord may have took me several years to feel good about playing it.  I play some songs now with ease that really took me more then 5 years to learn.  (Man am I slow or what?)

I have aslo been playing now for 40+ years, and there are some who have played 1-2 years that blow me away.  whew...

It is not all about technical ability (for me)  There is style, class, grace, wisdom, it all needs to be wrapped up for a true preformer to catch ones attention.

ghanlon

Ghanlon ,
   I know what you mean , after playing for forty five years , I have seen some of the guys that I got started playing two years ago , and I
can't believe how good they are . Immense technical ability , but sometimes I think they get so wrapped up in that , that they forget about the MUSIC......
   I also know guys that know and use fifty or sixty chords , but just have'nt quite figured out what that other hand is for ........LOL

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

vhagopian wrote:

It's funny, you don't realize how hard playing a guitar is until you actually try to play one.  After a year of playing, what still amazes me is these guys who can absolutely shred out ridiculously fast solos (i.e. Herman Li of Dragonforce) and make it sound good.  Whenever I try to play like that, it sounds like a messed up jumble of sound.  I guess it's true what they say about practicing scales.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot