Topic: Silly question about a D/E chord

First time poster, blah, blah, blah...

OK, I use chordie, eh, for the chords.  I don't understand the chord presented here:

<a href="http://www.chordie.com/ramimages/DslashEchord_004232_1.png" target="_blank">http://www.chordie.com/ramimages/DslashEchord_004232_1.png</a>

This is titled a "D/E" chord (DslashEchord), yet the chord is a D/F# chord (or, otherwise simply a D chord).  There is no "E" that I can find in this chord. 

Please help me understand how a chord made up of only D, F#, and A can be called a D/E chord.

Thank you.

Re: Silly question about a D/E chord

You are correct in your analysis of the notes in that chord.  I think the chord itself is misslabeled.  D/F# is much more commonly used.

hey hey!

if you notice, the two bottom strings (E and A) have open circles next to them... meaning all 6 strings are played for this chord. the bottom E is added to the chord. usually a slash followed by a note means add that note to the chord. for example, Am/G is an A minor chord with a G note added. hope this helps...

peace, slim.

Eh... you are right!!  DUH.

My problems is that the "circles with lines" on this image are not the same as the diamonds and X's that are used in other images.  I frequently find myself having to think about the meaning of that symbol.

The X's clearly mean "don't play", and the diamonds are for Open strings.  It seems the "circle with lines" is to be considered tha same as a diamond.

THANK YOU.

OK.  I agree with the x's and o's.  However, what is the F# doing in the D chord if it's a D/E ?  Most charts seem to show the D/E as having the top three strings open.  But what do I know?  How do you finger that anyway?

I think it is OK to have the F# in there -- since it is the 3rd in the D-chord.  As long as the bass note is an "E" (i.e., the open 6th string), then the chord qualifies as a "D/E". 

To finger that, one plays a standard D chord, then stretches the pinky (fifth finger) to reach the fourth fret on the fourth string.

Just when I thought this was getting easier.