Topic: How in hell...

Are you supposed to play chords such as Fmaj7 when it's like: 1X221X or other chords with Xs. Are you supposed to pluck all the stings, play around the Xed strings or maybe mute the strings with other fingers. The muting theory seems most likely to me but I'm sure I have seen chords where your fingers are in no position to mute other strings. The plucking theory seems a little inaccurate as I've found chords such as this in the middle of songs that are all about the strumming and as for the play around them, well, I was just shooting in the dark there. Please tell me there's a really obvious and easy way to play them.

Cheers.

Re: How in hell...

i think the answer is to watch some video tutorials for guitar there are many good ones and someone on chordie can give you a link so sit tight for a bit good luck

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by johncross21 2008-03-08 09:47:41)

Muting in the middle of a chords is quite hard

and the Fma7 is not the standard fingering ( so check your notation and try alternatives)

there are various techniques but it will depend on the chord and the style of the piece

you might try a partial barre with the first finger firmly on the 6th string and resting lightly on the fifth

i found this site you can search for several ways to make a fmaj7                   http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

lextalionis wrote:

Are you supposed to play chords such as Fmaj7 when it's like: 1X221X or other chords with Xs. Are you supposed to pluck all the stings, play around the Xed strings or maybe mute the strings with other fingers. The muting theory seems most likely to me but I'm sure I have seen chords where your fingers are in no position to mute other strings. The plucking theory seems a little inaccurate as I've found chords such as this in the middle of songs that are all about the strumming and as for the play around them, well, I was just shooting in the dark there. Please tell me there's a really obvious and easy way to play them.

Cheers.

heres another that shows possibilities scroll to the bottom you may have to register but i dont think it will cost anything   http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9738

Hi lextalionis

Fmaj7 is easily played as X33210.

Try using the chord chart in Resourses when you come across a difficult one, clicking on the chord will give many different variations of that chord and you can chose which is easiest for you to play.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi lextalionis
It's all a question of making your guitar playing easier for yourself and not to get hung up to much on fundamentals.
Sure some chords seem to require almost impossible string damping to bring off as by the book.
But as you say if they are in the middle of a song which probally has singing going on over the top a undampened string in the chord is not going to be heard and won't really change much in the sound of the song.
As Roger says theres nearly always a workable variation of the chord you want to play with an  easier shape.
Ark

Thanks everyone. It wasn't Fmaj7 I have a problem with it was just that version of it (or that type of any chord). I've seen them around more than I have wanted to since beginning to play and assumed everyone was playing them. I always went for inversions and found a way around it, from what you have all said I am best to continue that way which is, I must say, a great relief.

Peas

9 (edited by tonydr 2008-03-08 18:50:52)

johncross21 wrote:

Muting in the middle of a chords is quite hard

and the Fma7 is not the standard fingering ( so check your notation and try alternatives)

there are various techniques but it will depend on the chord and the style of the piece

you might try a partial barre with the first finger firmly on the 6th string and resting lightly on the fifth

That is the way to mute the 5th string and  play that chord.   it is a little easier to move it to the 3rd or 5th fret to practice
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I might provide a little additional information about the maj7 chord from the original question.   

That fingering is actually a pretty common jazz voicing.  I use it a lot with the G6 at the 3rd fret.
G6 3x243x
Gmaj7 3x443x

Gmaj7 G6 
VV      VV

And the form is easily movable up and down the fretboard where the 6th string is the root.  Good practice riff to learn to mute strings, but not so easy.

btw: xx3210 is an open alternative at the 1st fret someone else may have already mentioned.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Don't use those chords.  Replace them with something playable by mere mortals.  Then call it an "arrangement". 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude