Topic: chord/lyric layout

Hi

I'm new to Chordie and the guitar. I have found this sight to be helpful and full of lots of great songs, but I need some help. When looking at the chord sequence and lyrics to a songs, is each line a measure or how is that broken up? Also, if there are 2 chords on a line are they played for half of a mesasure or what?

Thanks
Turtlebo

I'm just this guy. Ya know?

Re: chord/lyric layout

Hi Turtlebo,

Welcome to Chordie. The chords are placed above the lyrics at the place the chord is played and there is no determination of the length of time that each chord is played, it could be for a fraction of a bar or for several bars. Only with a full music score will you be able to see what length of time a chord is played for, so you need to know the song.

I would suggest that you print out the song you are wanting to play and then find it on YouTube (or from your CD collection). Play the song and follow it on the printed version a few times and then play along with it before venturing on your own.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: chord/lyric layout

Thank you for your quick response. Knowing that will make it much easier than than trying to squeeze or stretch 4 beats into each line. I'll do as you suggested and listen to the songs and look at the music together.

Thank you,

Turtlebo

I'm just this guy. Ya know?