Topic: Conning a Singer

So I can sing while I'm playing... but I can't really sing like I mean it. I can't sing from the diaphragm while playing, only the mouth.. and have to stop quickly if making a difficult change. So I'm always trying to con people sitting around to sing while I play. It's so much more enjoyable when singing accompanies playing for me. But most people tell me that they can't sing and blah blah blah but I tell them it doesn't matter, although they don't listen. So if anyone else has this problem... how do you talk people into singing while you're playing

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Re: Conning a Singer

Hi etc ,
   I used to try to get people that come to watch our jams to get up and sing , but I don't have to anymore .
   I have three or four folders full of loose song lyric sheets .
What I do , is just leave them lay on the tables . About half way through the evening they're looking and finding songs they love , and willing to try sing them .
   Be warned however , even the shy ones , once you get them in front of that mic , it's hard to pry them away .
I call it " mic struck ".....

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Getting other people to sing is tricky.
Folks who are virtuosos in the shower suddenly feel very exposed and shy when singing in public.

Try this - warm them up to idea by doing some simple sing-along songs that everybody knows.  "Home On the Range" or other old favorites are great for loosening up people and getting them in on the fun of making music.  "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" never fails - the chorus is just too irresistible and even very shy persons will start howling along.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

G S E, your idea is brilliant!  I was answering the original post and then saw your response when I clicked submit.

Now I'm suddenly thinking of all the songs that I need to run copies of . . . fantastic idea - I love the simplicity and elegance of letting people find something they want to sing . . . THANKS!
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

playing simple, Popular tunes that everyone knows will help,  but don't stop singing yourself.   It may take some time, but it will become easier.