Topic: to tune the guitar

Hi I got some problems with the tuning. I don't want to buy any expensive tuning gear so i wonder if someone got a better way? ( cant just hear the right tune sad ) I was thinking if some have a tape in which every string were taped clearly so i could just tune my guitar by copying the tape. Perhaps this isn't the best way so if you got a better way I'm open fer suggestions.

/ Alex

Re: to tune the guitar

Hey Zucko ,
   Are you refering to an audio cassette tape ? This would only help you tune the instrument " relative ". In all my years , I've only seen expensive professional quality
players play at the proper speed . Otherwise from one to another , they're all over the map . If you're going to do this , it would be easier just to tune each string by it's neighbor fretted on the proper note .
   You can buy a quality tuner nowadays for anywhere between ten and twenty dollars . That would be my advice , you'll be much happier in the end......
    Good luck............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

http://www.8notes.com/guitar_tuner/

hope this helps.......nil satis nisi optimum

I put out my hand just to touch your soft hair......

4 (edited by zucko 2008-03-20 19:58:03)

thx , it was something like that I was looking for.

By the way I'm not American which you probably already guessed because of my poor English tongue

Maybe  I will reconsider buying a tuner but this will do for the moment

Buy a tuner...You'll be happy you did

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Get yourself a tuner. You'll be able to find one on eBay for under a tenner. Cost you about the same at your local music store.

You will be happier smile

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thanks Ian J. That is pretty handy! I am thinking of getting one of those robotic automatic tuners. Has anyone tried one?

Hi Zucko,

Welcome to Chordie. Here is the cheapest way I know to tune your guitar, go to: http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php and you can tune your guitar for free.

I hope it helps,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I decided to buy a tuner as all of you suggested me to do.

as you said it will be the best in the long run tongue

peace

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Zucko,

Welcome to Chordie. Here is the cheapest way I know to tune your guitar, go to: http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php and you can tune your guitar for free.

I hope it helps,

Roger

Yeah, I used to use one similar to that online. But you can't always carry the internet with you.

I've never regretted buying a tuner. In fact I bought a guitar with an on-board tuner. Best idea ever!

Maybe one day they'll invent self tuning strings. On that same day I'll grow another 2 fingers and be able to sing like Pavarotti.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi Al,

I could not agree with you more, a tuner should be one of your first buys, but Zucko was wanting something cheap. I am pleased to see that he has decided to buy one now.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

if you can do it by ear go on the low E of the 5th fret and open A. These are the same notes, so if you can get them they will be in tune with eachother. do this the whole way up the neck except for tuning the G, you have to go on the 4th fret to be the B. if that makes sense.

zucko wrote:

thx , it was something like that I was looking for.

By the way I'm not American which you probably already guessed because of my poor English tongue

Maybe  I will reconsider buying a tuner but this will do for the moment

Wow, really? What's your first language?

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Korg tuners are like $15, and they'll do bass and guitar.

Worth the money, and cheap.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I've had the same Korg tuner since 1987. I think a better choice of words would be reliable and inexpensive.................

Give everything but up.

Hi zucko,Ya a tuner is a great and easy way too do your thing,and cheap too. But you need too learn too tune by ear,as some day you will get in a position where you wont have a choice. Dead batterys etc.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zucko,

Don't worry about the quality of your English. Most of the Americans on this site can't spell to pass themselves ; ) Probably spent their school days mitchin off to play guitar !

Alvee

"Maybe one day they'll invent self tuning strings."

Have you seen this baby from Gibson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WetVXbYRfWk&

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

SouthPaw41L wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

I've had the same Korg tuner since 1987. I think a better choice of words would be reliable and inexpensive.................

I agree to your terms.

I buy them three or four at a time, as I'm prone to leaving them around.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarscales.php

Am I wrong? Sometimes you use a "guitar tuner" to tune all strings, and the same strings used with another device give a different result.
A good site for tuning, chords is the link I added

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Tuning doesnt have be expensive bought a garrison tuner for my nephew a while back only 25 euros tunes to loadsa different keys gonna buy one for myself very handy

My teacher taught me how to use a tuning fork "A" pitch.  I use it to tune the open A string, after that I go down the guitar using the 5th fret to tune all the other strings.  Except for the B string, there I have to use the 4th fret of the G string.  After that I use the 5th fret of the E string (D) and get that tuned to the open D string that I started with.

I hope that makes sense.  I'm trying to develop my ear to tune properly.  Hard work!  ; )

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg