Topic: HARMONICATS - Suggestions requested

I'm thinking of renewing my love affair with instruments that hoot.  (a category my wife established - it was not a complement to my playing)

Anyway, I tried to pull out my "D" harp and discovered that the case is empty.  I need to replace my "D".  My "C" and my "G" aren't any great shakes either.  I play mostly country and sissified '70's folk/pop music.  I play straight harp, with only a little cross harp thrown in when I make an ill-fated attempt at blues (I play blues bass, but can't get the feel of it for harp - c'est la vie). 

Anyway, I would love some suggestions from our resident harmonicats regarding brand and model.  I've never really found a harp that satisfies me, but know there's one out there for me.  The Hohner Blues Harps and Hohner Marine Band are closest to perfect I've found, if that helps to guide you with what I like.  My only complaints with them are that the Blues Harps require a LOT of air, and the Marine Band are a bit harsh sounding.  Yamaha harps play really easy, but they are waaaaaay too high of an octave and make me feel like I'm playing for dogs rather than humans.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-03-30 20:57:11)

Re: HARMONICATS - Suggestions requested

Zurf i have several harps and one of them is a hohner HOT METAL it has a real beefy sound and the reeds are heavy duty its worth checking out

Zurf wrote:

I'm thinking of renewing my love affair with instruments that hoot.  (a category my wife established - it was not a complement to my playing)

Anyway, I tried to pull out my "D" harp and discovered that the case is empty.  I need to replace my "D".  My "C" and my "G" aren't any great shakes either.  I play mostly country and sissified '70's folk/pop music.  I play straight harp, with only a little cross harp thrown in when I make an ill-fated attempt at blues (I play blues bass, but can't get the feel of it for harp - c'est la vie). 

Anyway, I would love some suggestions from our resident harmonicats regarding brand and model.  I've never really found a harp that satisfies me, but know there's one out there for me.  The Hohner Blues Harps and Hohner Marine Band are closest to perfect I've found, if that helps to guide you with what I like.  My only complaints with them are that the Blues Harps require a LOT of air, and the Marine Band are a bit harsh sounding.  Yamaha harps play really easy, but they are waaaaaay too high of an octave and make me feel like I'm playing for dogs rather than humans.

- Zurf

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Zurf,
I've played just about every harp out there on the market. For price, reiliability, ease of play, and life, I choose the Hohner Special 20. They seem to outlast any of the more expensive brands that I was 'suckered' into trying. Never soak your harps in any type of liquid. Only a quick dip into a 20 part water to 1 part bleach solution followed by some serious knee knockin' the crud out of said harp. This works best for me and I've gone through a ton of harps...........................

Give everything but up.

I've got a question for you harpoon players . . . I would like to learn to play, and since I really like to play guitar blues in the key of E . . . what key harmonica should I get to accompany the guitar?  Any help is appreciated . . .

Royce Drake wrote:

I've got a question for you harpoon players . . . I would like to learn to play, and since I really like to play guitar blues in the key of E . . . what key harmonica should I get to accompany the guitar?  Any help is appreciated . . .

To play straight harp style (ala Neil Young, Bob Dylan) you'll want an E harp. To play cross/blues style (ala John Popper, old bluesy dudes) you'll want to get an A harp. Straight harp consists of more blowing and blues harp is more drawing(sucking air in) and note bending. The harmonica is one the easiest instruments to learn how to play but one of the hardest instruments to play well.

Blues harp conversions;
G-C
A-D
B-E
C-F
D-G
E-A
F-A#

Give everything but up.

another way of selecting a harp for blues is to pick the 4th step of the key you want to play in as southpaws conversion chart points out for E the 4th step is A with the exception of A# for F, i think you would have to find a Bb even tho A#is the enharmonic equlivant of Bb i dont think you will find a A# out there but you might have better luck finding a Bb. i remember the marine band when it cost $1.50 i think they sell for over $20.00 now chauk it up to inflation

Hot Metal and Special 20. 

Thanks.  I will check it out.

I took my harps to a fishing, camping thing with lots of music before I started to play guitar and now all my guitars smell like Crown Royal and Macanudos.  Maybe that bleach thing will help.  I'll give it a try.  My "D" is probably stuck in the ashes of a campfire somewhere in West Virginia as a result of trying to play while enjoying a little Crown Royal. 

Thanks for the information.  I knew you folks could be relied upon for good advice.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Russell_Harding wrote:

another way of selecting a harp for blues is to pick the 4th step of the key you want to play in as southpaws conversion chart points out for E the 4th step is A with the exception of A# for F, i think you would have to find a Bb even tho A#is the enharmonic equlivant of Bb i dont think you will find a A# out there but you might have better luck finding a Bb. i remember the marine band when it cost $1.50 i think they sell for over $20.00 now chauk it up to inflation

A# and Bb are the exact same thing. Being an instructor of music I choose to use #'s instead of b's. My reason for this is due to potential for one mistaking a flat notation(b) for a b note. If you go to a music store and ask for an A# or any other key in sharp mode, the person working in the store will (should at least) know it's flat relative.

Give everything but up.

southpaw i think were saying the same thing i would think the fella in the music store would know a Bb is the 4th of f

Zurf- I find the best playing Harp is the  Pro Harpm i think it is from Hohner, if you want a sweet sounding harp I find the LEE OSKAR fits that bill.

johnemac01 wrote:

Zurf- I find the best playing Harp is the  Pro Harpm i think it is from Hohner, if you want a sweet sounding harp I find the LEE OSKAR fits that bill.

Lee Oskars for me didn't live up to their billing. I reluctantly tried one only because the Hohner Special 20 I desired wasn't available in the key I needed. I paid about $10 more for the Lee Oskar than I normally pay for the Hohner special 20. Also, the Lee Oskar lasted me about 1/2 as long as the Hohner Spec.20 normally lasted. I was tricked once into playing these over-priced harps(Lee Oskar) but it won't happen again.(unless I get one for free and it changes my first impression)

Give everything but up.

free is always the best price

Hmm, maybe I'll get one as well. I've always wanted to be able to play it.

How about if you don't know which key you prefer playing in? Is there one key which has more easy-to-play songs than the others?

14 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-04-04 05:25:59)

it depends on what you like blues country or classical,for classical you would need a chromatic harp with a button to shift the tone up 1/2 step

Tibernius wrote:

Hmm, maybe I'll get one as well. I've always wanted to be able to play it.

How about if you don't know which key you prefer playing in? Is there one key which has more easy-to-play songs than the others?

Looking for some advice, trying to figure out what harp is used in the song on the coke commerical "Criminal" by Paul Reddick & The Sidemen. I think the song is in Dm. Can anyone assist.

1600 paave wrote:

Looking for some advice, trying to figure out what harp is used in the song on the coke commerical "Criminal" by Paul Reddick & The Sidemen. I think the song is in Dm. Can anyone assist.

I have not heard the song you're speaking of but songs that I play in Dm I use an F harmonica. Dm is the realative minor of F major.
Here are the rest;
A----F#m
B----G#m
C----Am
D----Bm
E----C#m
F----Dm
G----Em

Give everything but up.

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try. You would like this song. You can find it on youtube. It's a great riff. Real simple but very cool.

Russell_Harding wrote:

it depends on what you like blues country or classical,for classical you would need a chromatic harp with a button to shift the tone up 1/2 step

It would mainly be Blues, maybe with a few Bob Dylan songs as well.

hohner blues harp, marine band or hot metal any of these would do the trick

Russell_Harding wrote:

hohner blues harp, marine band or hot metal any of these would do the trick

Thanks, I've found a few sites that sell them but I'm not sure about the key. hmm
It doesn't seem worth buying a box of 7 if I don't know if I'll actually like playing it or not.