Topic: Distinctive strummers

OK folks – here’s a new kind of request. Please name some songs that are distinctive or easily recognizable by their chords alone. My wife and I play this game – I play a song and she guesses what it is. She is by no means a music aficionado and says all my songs sound the same – well, not all, but I understand what she means. I basically am a strummer at this point – no lead riffs or licks that often make the song’s signature – so without that or a vocal melody (I can’t sing either) – a lot of songs do sound pretty boring or similar. I sing along in my head, so I get it, but I would like some suggestions for songs that are easily recognized from their chords alone.

Hotel California is an example – the Bm to F# opening is instantaneous in recognizing what song it is. There are several in my song book she does get (some Clapton, etc) – but the typical easy open chord C / G / D / A- progressions I admit do sound kind of similar without vocals.

So please offer me some song suggestions. (Not one of those tunes with a chord chart down the whole page please! LOL) I can play most majors, minors, 7ths and am getting there on barres, but– you get too many augs, 9ths, and suses, in there I am lost.

So bottom line – please suggest some easy or medium difficulty song that are easily recognizable and distinct so I can impress the wife. She leans towards country and older rock – but she is more “hip† than me as far as new music goes too. Thanks for any ideas!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Distinctive strummers

Sister Goldenhair
In The Year 2525
Earth Angel
Georgia On My Mind

Plush Stone Temple Pilots

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

"Still The Same " by Bob Seger

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks guys - Golden Hair, Georgia will work. Geo - You got a favorite layout for Plush - great song, but at a quick glance, the Chords / Tabs here didn't look so great.

Pix - Still the Same is a good choice, it's distinctive and it's got that Cmaj7 that I love - but man, I just can't stand Seger - maybe overplayed when I was young or something - I feel the same about Springsteen and U2 - there may be some good stuff there, but I can't get over the bad taste in my mouth. It's like drinking too much of a particular cocktail and getting sick..

Hi topdown,you might try crazy by patsy cline, ventura hi-way  by america ,tequla sunrise by the eagles. my girl, by smokey.I have also found alot of beatles,credence clearwater and buddy holly are easy too recognize.Hope that helps.  dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

"I Started A Joke" - Bee Gees

"Don't Let The Sun See You Crying" - Gerry and the Pacemakers (Cmaj7, Fmaj7)

"House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Your Beautiful - James Blunt
Knocking on Heavens Door
Horse with no name
Stand by Me
Wild Thing

I have learned all of these songs from www.kickstartguitar.com - The person that teaches does not sing the song so its all about the way you play it.

Popdevil wrote:

Your Beautiful - James Blunt
Knocking on Heavens Door
Horse with no name
Stand by Me
Wild Thing

I have learned all of these songs from www.kickstartguitar.com - The person that teaches does not sing the song so its all about the way you play it.

Good site recommendation! This guy is a friend of mine and he sponsers chordie on his site. He's Lazyfret on youtube if you'd like to check his page there also for tutorials. Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hey Top ,
  I love this topic , it is so true
Long ago a wise man once said that " all you needed to make it in the music biz , was a red guitar , three chords and the truth " . Probably didn't know how true that statement was .
   Know what you mean though . It seems like we do quite a few songs with the
C Am F G chord progression .
Sometimes the intro is the only thing to distinguish . That's why we seldom do those back to back . One night we were playing and I did the run up for Earth Angel
and my partner started singing " Wise Men Say......",
so I switched a couple chords around and away we went .It
was still funny........
  For your question though ,
BeeGees " 1912 Mining Disaster ", The Band " The Weight " , Nitty Gritty " Mr Bojangles " , If you're a flat picker like me , then Simon & Garf.
" Sound of Silence & Scarbough Fair " . These are all very distinctive .
  Good luck..........Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Others already got all mine, but I think Horse With No Name is totally distinctive both for the chords used and the pattern. 

Try Wild Rover or Whiskey in the Jar - good drinking songs that even drunks can recognize immediately. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

topdown,
There's no rule saying that in music one can't hum or vocalize a lead, or hook riff in a song. If my harps are bad or if I've loaded the wrong key of harp in my halo for the song I'm playing I'll vocalize a riff. Can't You See by Marshall Tucker or Take It Easy by The Eagles are good tunes to do this in. It's always good to learn the catchy riffs but even an accomplished guitar player loses volume dynamic when the rhythym stops and leads start. (when playing solo) Just some mental food for thought........

Give everything but up.

13 (edited by johncross21 2008-03-31 19:19:51)

Louie Louie - the Kingsmen, Kinks etc

Fade Away - Rolling Stones

Proud Mary - CCR

great thread,
and most of my thoughts are already answered but  iahve a few more

when you say nothing at all by ????? rowan guy or some other cowboy guy ?

two sunsets.....pink floyd.

behind blue eyes....the who not originally a strumming song but you can strum it and it is ditinctively that song

and thats all i can think of

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks for all the suggestions and great selection. I printed the entire thread and will work on the new ones. SouthPaw - I'll try the humming bit - I think I sing great LOL, but there is an embarrassment factor I need to get over. Props to guys like you who do it on stage every night!

The Joker by Steve Miller Band
Wonderwall by Oasis
Tracks of my tears by Smokey Robinson.

Just some suggestions at the top of my head:)

Since this is a topic about Distinctive strummers. One of my favorites has to be Ritchie Havens. He has redone many hits and lots of times better than the original.

Check him out he is well worth the time.

Edward