Topic: electric strings

I've been buying different strings for my electric for years, and haven't found a set that makes me want to remain loyal to the brand.  I was beginning to thing that they were all the same.
Recently I got turned on to elixir strings for my accoustic, and love them.  They make my accoustic sound better, and more fun to play.

Any suggestions for electric strings??

Re: electric strings

kjohney

I'm in the same boat more or less ... my Les Paul I use Gibson strings and they're perfect for it ... they give me the 60's/70's classic rock tone but are pretty universal with other styles of music (I play some metal like Iron Maiden, and heavy alt music like Green Day, Offspring) ... my Schecters are a different story; the GHS Boomer strings on them give me a deep heavy tone which is fine for the Hellraiser, but I want to try a less heavy sound on my Omen 6

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

3 (edited by Tennessee Strat 2008-04-01 16:01:16)

kjohney
you'll most likely have to try a few different brands -I share your opinion of Elixirs for acoustics. My own favorite strings for electrics depend a little on the guitar. My Tele and Strats only get Ernie Ball Slinkys -they come in various gauges. I personally like the Ernie Ball "Skinny Top-Heavy Bottom" variety (10-52), or "Hybrid Slinkys" (9-46) for a little lighter touch. Overall these are my favorite Tele and Strat strings.

But I wouldn't put them on my hollowbody Gretsch -it's all how you perceive the playability and tone of course. I've even changed my mind over the years, occasionally...

Play On!

I agree Strat ... I only use Poly Elixcirs on my acoustics ... I tried the Nano's but didnt like the sound

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

i agree with TS about Ernie Ball.

end of.

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

I like the Gibson .10's.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

i buy hybrid slinky

its easy to remember what they're called

and you get light treble and heavier bass which suits me