Topic: Reality or Mith?

Hello every one,

after a year of practice and able to play a few songs not that good of course,,

Here's a question

is it true that  music is a thing that you have it

or you don't

I hope that you guys get the point

because now I am going to guitar classes and I've seen a guy that the teacher states he's been there for six years, and he does not play so well. he sings good but not to many skills with the  guitar

in my personal case I can't remember the chords of the songs and of course after a year of practice I don't play very good

so is it mith or Reality?
or it's just a matter of practice and any one can became a decent player

well the question is there

hope you guys can be so kind and write me a line with your oppinions:-)

pardon my english since it's my second lenguage:-)

Re: Reality or Mith?

playing guitar is largely a matter of practice

there are of course people with problems and people with special talents but for most players time spent with the instrument in hand is the decisive factor

i think that the amount of practice needed to reach a high standard means that guitar motor skills take several years of regular practice to develop

don't do it if you don't enjoy it

and if you do enjoy it keep practicing

Total myth.  People have rhythm and don't know it.  I bet if you were to recite the Pledge of Allegiance (assuming you're from USA), that you'd do it with exactly the same rhythm as anyone else would do.  Or the Alphabet Song.  Or Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.  These are rhythms that you've learned. 

As far as carrying a tune in a bucket - you know when you're higher or lower pitched, but you might not know when you're off key.  Some people are born with that, but most have to learn it through repetition.  It's one of those things that's hard to know if you're right, so you have to learn when you're not wrong and go with that. 

There is surely APTITUDE that people are born with, but SKILL can be learned.  Practice, practice, practice.

And practice in a way that it's fun for you so that it seems like pursuing a hobby rather than earning a degree.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by arkady 2008-04-05 22:01:53)

Hi BBDGus 
Some people  are definetly born with shall we say a talent for music and with practice achieve great things.
Others don't it's a fact.
That doesn't mean those people don't improve with practice and at what rate depends on alot of factors and not always related to the degree of talent in the person.
The love of what you are doing is a large factor in improving but not the only one.
Ark

No myth at all. Music is like blood, it's in every human. Some folks just have to work a little harder than others for it to come to fruition............

Give everything but up.

It isn't a differentiation of those that "have it" and those that don't.  It's a differentiation between those that know how to practice effectively, and those that don't.

There are truly gifted people out there.  But you don't have to be truly gifted to sit down and bang out three chord ditties to entertain yourself, your friends, and your family.  You don't have to be truly gifted to run major and minor pentatonic licks.  You have to be *disciplined* to play decently.  Not talented. 

Everyone can play.  Most people don't because they aren't willing to commit the time and energy it takes to get over that initial learning curve.  I would bet five dollars that the only practice your six year partner in your music class gets is at that class.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

have "it" that depends on how you intrepret what "it" is. if you mean the ability to learn fundamentals and develope some degree of expertese in knowing your way around the fretboard thats a learned skill aquried with a lot of practice,but if your definition of "it"is creating a audio work of art that sets you apart from others i think its a gift or a blessing whatever you want to call it there are differen't levels of "it"

MOZART---------very rare! few attain this level only the gifted
       above average........ some, those who practice hard and steady over and over           
average--------most, like our friend who only practices at class and stores his guitar away till the next class         

so yes in my opinion there is a distintion you have it or you dont the "gift" of music is exactly that, a gift from the creator

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus - 2 of the best golfers ever. Natural talent? Sure there was a ton of that - Was the talent in their swing or in their drive to succeed? Ben was known to hit balls 'till his hands bled, Jack said he hit over 1,000 balls on the range every day!

Hard work breeds talent. Very few individuals are born with it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I like the golf analogies.

Arnold Palmer once said, when asked how he seemed to hit all those "lucky" shots, "The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I think along these lines ... anyone who is even trying at anything ( whether sport or music or anything at all ) has it . Doesnt matter if they are the most rubbish exponent of whatever form they are trying - the very fact they are trying at all puts us all in the same club . Its just a matter of how much skill they have . I see grown men on sunday mornings after a night on the beer trying to play football ( soccer) and they can hardly run or kick a ball accurate , but they are all out there dressed up having as much fun as if they were in a big stadium. Same with music . The only ones that dont "have it " are the ones that dont try .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

The only thing I can add is:
- Some people are blessed with a great talent, this is found in every profession, like a MD, I am still proud that most of my diagnostics were correct and most of hospitals knew me AND my diagnosis.
That's all history, I had a talent, a lot of others have a talent, like TIGER WOODS in golf, or LANCE ARMSTRONG on a bike. The BIG POINT IS: a lot of TALENTED people DON'T USE their talent.
If you are blessed with a talent USE IT. USING IT = HARD WORK, A LOT OF TRANSPIRATION, a lot of practising, and that is the worst part, giving up so much to reach the top.

About bands, musicians, most of us only see the bright side, but when you enjoy a concert, the players and crew are working very hard.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

SouthPaw41L wrote:

No myth at all. Music is like blood, it's in every human. Some folks just have to work a little harder than others for it to come to fruition............

Well said Southpaw. I agree. I have no natural ability and have to practice hard to attain the level that others achieve with ease. I think there's someting to having an "ear".

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

My long-winded commentary may be interesting or just a load of cr*p. I can' really tell anymore and won't swear to either.  Read on if you don't bore easily.

I have a friend who is painful to listen sing Happy Birthday, yet has an appreciation for some very complex music. He likes traditional acoustic improvisational jazz, particularly sax players, but exhibits a disconnect between listening and performing.  So I think there is first a difference between the two; everyone can listen at some level, but not everyone can perform effectively.  This may be a matter of practice in most cases, but I think that if 10% of the population excel at performing, then probably 10% are incapable. 80% of us can listen and play to different levels and some get better than others.

People have 2 kinds of pitch recognition attributes, relative pitch or perfect (absolute) pitch. There are people in the world like Mozart with perfect pitch that can hear 440 cycles and know it is an A, anywhere, anytime.  Most of us can identify an 'A' relative to 'D' or 'E' but cannot identify the note without a point of reference, at least not without a lot of practice.   Most musicians develop that relative pitch through practice, practice, practice and subsequently improve, to where some of us get better than others and develop a better 'ear'.   

But you CAN develop it, and anyone who remembers a '80s memory game called Simon can attest to it.  The game played musical notes adding one at a time, faster and faster. Players competed to see who could correctly reproduce the most random notes consecutively.  Playing with a group of cover band musicians could produce some interesting games, which degraded rapidly  as the alcohol and various other stimulants took hold.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(game)

In addition to mastering pitch recognition,  musicians need to master their instrument. Any musical instrument, including voice, requires a technical proficiency that involves coordination, muscle memory, and dexterity of some sort.  Singers learn to control breathing, annunciation and tone. Drummers have to learn to make all 4 limbs work independently and control the sticks and pedals.  A pianist controls the dynamics of the sound with the force used to hit the keys.  Guitarists learn to develop finger dexterity, strength and control in order to play effectively. 

Lastly, we need to learn how to work and take care of the equipment. Keeping the instrument performing at its peak and learning to make it reproduce the sounds in our head takes a lot of practice and experience. We acquire this proficiency by playing, jamming, listening and learning, like any other skill.

That's a lot to learn and it takes time and effort, and sometimes a lifetime to master (a little like golf).  A little patience, persistence and practice will go a long way and is ultimately worth the effort, as for most of us on this site,  there is nothing as fun and satisfying as playing music.  Okay, maybe that other fun thing, the one with a partner.   

This brings to mind how I recently went to Carnegie Hall with my 'tone deaf' friend to see Sonny Rollins and my wife actually asked me how to get there.  I had the punch line ready before she finished the breath to ask it.  I said, "Practice, Practice, Practice".  I knew I married her for a reason besides the blond hair and blue eyes, shes a strait man.

btw: after 15 years of playing golf, my putting still sucks and I still keep trying that too.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

tonydr wrote:

My long-winded commentary may be interesting or just a load of cr*p. I can' really tell anymore and won't swear to either.  Read on if you don't bore easily.

Very good tonydr, I found your post extremely interesting.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I definitely agree with most of these posts. I never played any intrument at all Before 2005. I became fascinated with the acoustic guitar after sitting and listening to a bunch of inlaws ( just afetr I was married) play. It was fantastic, and I just had to learn. So a bought a guitar and obsessively practiced until I learned rythms and all the common chords and keys. Now I'm not a "really good guitar player" by any means, and I would say I have little natural talent. But almost everyone who heard me 3 years ago and hears me now says my improvement is outstanding... all from practicing every day (if only for 1 hr or less).

Cheers and have fun!

I do believe we can learn anything

we put our minds to if we have enough passion to learn. for whatever that  choice maybe!

In saying that. I have a friend who loves to sing. She has always sung out of key. " BRUTAL" is the word for it.

But! She loves to sing, Her passion for singing entertains us all. She has been turfed out of Choirs. Singing Teachers have despaired and gave up on her. She  Creates the biggest Groans at Karaoke.

Nothing fazes our "Tonedeaf DD. To her own Ears she is in perfect pitch.

Sure we love her anyway. Maybe she would be great playing an instrument? Hmmmm!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

The replies you have gotten are ...ceertainly interesting in one aspect or he other ....but I still have one HUGE question that has not been adressed in any of these replys..
and that is what exactly do you mean by playing guitar?
Let me explain please ..because I think this must be addressed before  you can get the answer you are desiring.
I have been playing guitar for well over 35 years. I have played with bands , jammed etc.
This last Saturday night I went to a recital by Ana Vidovic. I have never been in the room with anyone in my life that played the guitar like that. I am not saying she is even the greatest guitarist I have ever heard...I am simply saying I have never been so close to anyone that played a guitar like that.
Granted she is a classical virtuoso...but I will never attain anything like that level of technique mastery ..whatever you call it.
What I am trying to say is that the guitar is a tool. HOw do you want to use it ? If you want to aspire to play like a professional lead guitarist in a rock band .... well there is a reason they are professional.. everyone is not a lead guitarist. Tom Petty said while playing with the Travelling Wilburys... how many groups have 5 rhythm guitarist.
If you consider learing to play guitar  is to be like Wes Montgomery ... thats something else too. If you are a songwriter who uses the guitar to accompany your singing.... thats different too.
Bob Dylan can play guitar and he does so completely adequately for his intention. 
If you know three chords and the truth you can change the world.
I saw on TV Johnny Cash with Willie Nelson . Johnny let Willie play his guitar  and Willie started playing some nice chords and several lead  runs  a she is so adept at.
After that Johnny  said that  guitar has never been played before.
Of course he was simply saying his approach to the guitar is part of his song delivery ... not the main deal ...
So back to your question. Can you really learn to play? You have to decide what is it you want to do. YOu can improve  on amything by hard work and practice.
If you are aspiring to a professional level of guitar playing you will need some god given talent to go along with the hard work.

Whew! did that make sense?

Yes it does make sense auralvisage.

guitar and keys share tremendous diversity in purpose and enjoyment.  It is not just about the level of playing, but also about purpose, and subseqently can be a much more personal expression. 
Not many sax players are really singers or writing any more than some melodies on the sax.  Sax players may be wedding players, but nearly all aspire to be 'Trane (I don't think any want to be Kenny G).  Some guitarists want to be buckethead, others want to be James Taylor, and others want to be Dime-bag Darrel, Dylan or Pat Metheny.   
Bass and drums are mainly about playing and rhythm.  Horn players are soloists and improvisational players.  String players (violin or cello) are about technique, accuracy and recreating sound and emotion. I'm generalizing, but you get the point.

Not too many instruments offer the versatility of the guitar, which is why there are so many players in the world.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Yes!

Again it does make sense! I have a friend. He is a fantastic guitar player. He doesn't think so!

Even after 40 years of playing.  He wants to play guitar like "Tommy Emanuelle.

My own brother can entertain a room full of people with hundreds of 3 chord tunes. He is also fantastic.

So individual thinking i guess.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

This is going to sound funny , but I think it's both .
   I get so tired of hearing about all these second and third generation actors and singers , who say it's in their
blood . It's crap , anything can be learned . When the process is started before you're four years old , I'd say you definitely have a leg up ??? As far as singing voices go , we all have it to start with . Only use and cultivation is the key .
   Now having said all this , I'm mentally looking back at my dad's side of the family ,
and every male that I can think of was a musician in some form . And I keep glancing at an old , old photogragh of my paternal great grand father ( that was
obviously taken using flash powder ) That I keep on my office wall . In that photo with him are the instruments that he played professionally .
Don't know much about brass , but looks like a bass and a tenor sax ? a clarinet ,
a trombone , violin , and piano .........So I guess you tell me.......................

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

G S E wrote:

This is going to sound funny , but I think it's both .
   I get so tired of hearing about all these second and third generation actors and singers , who say it's in their
blood . It's crap , anything can be learned . When the process is started before you're four years old , I'd say you definitely have a leg up ???

LOL, having the family connections doesn't hurt either.

I was so focused on one style of playing guitar for so long ..probably the first 10 years ....blistering lead speed..no appreciation for sonority. Touch...emoting.I feel like I matured or grew as a guitarist when I was stricken with overwhelming emotion from the power and soul of a single note..placed at the perfect time..perfect length. Listen to Chet Atkins. He gets every note solid with excellence of spirit.This not only rare talent it is also dilligent practice.
How about this analogy...view talent as offensive slugging power on a baseball team.And practice and discipline on guitar is akin to speed on a team.talent and power slugging are awsome exciting....get the best press...but with a typical 3 out of 10 sucess rate....speed shows up to play everynight. But I digress.I also found in my own guitar experience that that if you reach acrtain level of fluid expressive nuanced... you have to practice to maintain that achievment. Practice a lot.
Unless you are a professional guitarist who is soley /primarily supported by your playing then it's not unusual for 3-8 hours playing per day with some breaks of course. after all..if you do it for a living ..you have to be able to offer "something to somebody "to continue.Few realize how much work goes on behind the public view that results in such high quality.After all you're not supposed to see work.
I'm not dissing certain types of speed style guitar slayers.....but everyone plays what they like.
while I respect and admire some very gifted classical or jazz guitarist.... I just cant see my self humming their music in my head...there are so many excellent local unknown guitarist to day..you have to find your strength. It's not wrestling... It kills me when I see polls like the top 100 guitarist. it is subjective especially in the secular mainstream music.
Pardon my excesive rant....I cycle on Hippo Manic cycles...in playing too.

letting the music breathe... ultimately it is a matter of personal preference...I have just been really moved by the passion expressed in certain styles of melodic phrases with perhaps not so familiar chops timing not hard on the ear but certainly not entirely familiar. most listeners seek familiarity.

Auralvisage,
Excellent point about playing with emotion not just speed. I've always felt there is a time and a place for speed but to always be running around the fret board can be annoying. That "look how fast I play" thing is tiresome. Knowing not only what to play but "when" to play is crucial. respect the silence. I appreciate a Willie Nelson solo more than a Buckethead solo; that may just be personal preference. The blues guys have been doing it for years. I always thought David Gilmour was a master at emotional solos. His stuff always makes me want to stop and listen. There's real feeling in that. I'm not taking anything away from the speed metal guys; they obviously play at a level I never will. Maybe this is just my musical preference???

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

When I was much younger the speed aspect was all that mattered. Fluid effortless technique is important but why play a thousand notes when 10 well placed will do . Less is always more when it comes to tasteful . Speed and attack has it's place ...but with me ... it's no longer the only place.